• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x35 EX vs. Leupold Yosemite 6x30 (1 Viewer)

I'm new around here and to binoculars in general. I've read lots of good things about the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and was wondering if anyone has compared them directly to the Nikon 7x35 Action Extreme that Cornell University rated so higly for an entry level binocular. Any and all opinions are welcome. I'll post this in the Leupold forum as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,

I have not done an side-by-side comparison of these bins, but I have tried both of them, for what it's worth.

The 7x35 EX has good ergonomics, sharp center field, but the off-axis performance was somewhat disappointing.

I have a 7x35 WF Action from the '80s, made in Japan, with the same wide 9.3* FOV, and it's sharp almost to the edge. However, it's not as bright and the close focus is about 20'.

I preferred the Minolta 7x35 Activa WP FP to the Nikon 7x35 EX. Better ergonomics (not as bulky but well shaped for my hands), similar brightness and sharpness on-axis but better off-axis performance. It does show some rolling ball effect while panning but not too distracting.

I think the Minolta Activa WP FP has been discontinued, but if you can find one, grab it. Good bang for the buck, IMO.

The Leupold 6x30 had better image quality than I had expected for a bin at this price point. Chinese wonders never cease. Lighter and more compact than the EX, but the build quality on the EX seemed better.

Oddly enough, the Leupold's eye relief (ER) seemed to be LONGER than the eyecups so I had to hold the bins back from my face to prevent "blackouts". The ER is listed as 20mm. Long ER can cause blackouts.

That got fatiguing quickly. So while I liked the image quality, I didn't like the too short eyecups. If they correct this problem, I would consider buying one.

I compared it to my Fuji 6x30 FMT, and while the Fuji had greater DOF, more contrast and was sharper, for the price, the Leupold wasn't too far off the mark, and it was easier to hold.

Not everybody experiences the eye relief problem, however. I'm farsighted so that could affect the ER issue, though the owner had the same problem and keeps the eyecups pressed against his upper eyelid to prevent blackouts.

The fuzziness on the edges on the EX might not bother you since the FOV is wide so you have an ample sweet spot to work with. I'm spoiled by my Nikon SE and E2.

Either the Leupold or EX would make a good first binocular, as long as you don't experience the blackout problem with the Leupolds. If you do, try the 8x30 model, which has lower ER.

Bins are personal items so what works for one may not work for another. Try before you buy if you can.

Okay, if I had to chose between the two, I'd go with the 7x35 EX for it's higher power and less finicky ER.

Hoped that helped more than hurt!

Brock

Last edited:
Well not to pimp my own thread but ... I will ...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120694

I'm reviewing the Yosemite 6x30 and the Celestron Ultima DX 8x32 plus a couple of roofs. The Nikons were on the shortlist but got bumped by the Celestron.

If you are considering the Nikon and the Leupold you have to look at the Celestron too. It's on closeout for $90 and is a great deal. It sort of combining features of both Yosemite and Nikon 7x35. Frank finds it better than the Nikon.

Try searching the forums for FrankD's reviews of the Yosemite 6x30 and 8x30 and his review of the Celstron Ultima DX 8x32 too. There's already a lot of info here about them.

As Brock says ... you gotta try them too ... the reviews give a hint as the specs do but there's how they feel to you and how they match your face (or your eyeglasses).

Last edited:
I think you have to be careful to not compare the Leupold with the Nikon action since it's cheaper and of lower quality then the EX extreme 7x35. EX extreme is much better and has received some nice reviews.

Kristoffer,
Have you looked through each one of these? Don't know what you have to pay in Sweden, but here the Nikon Action 7x35 is actually cheaper than the Yosemite, and the Extreme is only a few $ more. As far as I know, there is no difference in the optics between the Action and Action Extreme. The EX is equipped with some rubber armor and is nitrogen purged and sealed. The Nikons seem to me (and lots of others have posted this too) to have quite a noticeable amount of field curvature. The larger fov, to my eye anyway, just makes that more noticeable. The Yosemite does not have as wide a fov as the Nikon, but it is certainly not restrictive (at least to me), the image of the Yosemite seems noticeably flatter, whith a much higher degree of sweet spot than the Nikon. I have both a 6x and 8x Yosemite and would not consider a straight across trade for either a 7x or 8x Nikon. The Nikon has pretty good centerfield resolution, but no better than the Yosemite. I realize different people see things differently and maybe you and I are destined to different opinions here. However, if I had the Nikons, I likely would not rush out and trade for a Yosemite. They are similar enough in their optics if one disregards field curvature.

Steve,

There was somewhat of a noticeable difference for me between the 7x35 Action and Action EX. Probably the biggest issue was the difference in eye relief and depth of field. I know that the commonly held belief is that depth of field is dependent almost entirely on magnification but in the case of these two bins I honestly believe that the Action has better depth of field at a cost to eye relief. The Action EX has noticeably better eye relief and good depth of field but the latter was not as good as the regular action in this configuration.

FWIW I had my old pair of Action EXs in my hand yesterday morning (sold them to a friend a year or so back). I still enjoy their excellent view (at that price point). But, after having used the 8x30 Yosemite and the 8x32 Celestron Ultima DX I would say that the Action EXs do not quite measure up in terms of contrast in particular and color neutrality to some extent.

Just my two cents.

As far as I know, there is no difference in the optics between the Action and Action Extreme. The EX is equipped with some rubber armor and is nitrogen purged and sealed.

[deleted]

However, if I had the Nikons, I likely would not rush out and trade for a Yosemite. They are similar enough in their optics if one disregards field curvature.

and the weight and the size :)

But unless your neck is giving out the Yosemite is perhaps not the one to upgrade to. Go for the next class up. But if its the first buy then the Yosemite is rather good. Better close focus too.

The 6x Yosemite has an 8.0° field but it's rather good out to the edge. Better than the Nikons in that regard evn though they have a bigger 9.2 FOV and the slightly large magnification gives a even bigger 65 AFOV. Still I find the Yosemite to be enough and I can see the whole field with my eyeglasses on (comfortably).

There must be a difference in the optical design of the Action and Action Extreme

Nikon Action 7x35 Binocular
Field of View 489 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 11.9mm
Close Focus 16.4 ft.

Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 ATB Binocular
Field of View 487 ft./1000 yds.
Eye Relief 17.3mm
Close Focus 16.4 ft.

The eye relief is 12mm in the Action and 17.3mm in the Action Extreme i.e. they have different eyepiece designs. They've tried to match some of the other parameters between those designs (i.e. focal length and AFOV). But if the ER is different so is the optics. The objectives are likely the same.

As I always say try all the candidates and make your own mind up! There are more qualities to like and dislike than specs can show!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back