• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cataract in my right eye V's birdwatching optics! (1 Viewer)

Hi Kathy
I did go to the optician, it was her that told me that I could not have it done yet.
My biggest problems are judging distance, especially close up. I think things are closer than they are. This is probably because my glasses can`t cope with the rapid change in my eyes. This causes me problems at work as I manufacture components with a tolerance of 2 microns.
The other problem is night driving, I have had to give up driving at night as I cannot cope with the glare of lights and consider myself a danger to others.
Surprisingly my optician has not told me I can`t drive.

My personal opinion is that I would advice you to have a second opinion, for example with the ophthalmologist that eventually will do the surgery. I think I remember reading that the concept of a cataract needing to be ripened before surgery can be done is outdated.

Niels

I'd agree with the second opinion.

Before I got mine done (a few years ago now) I knew they were getting worse but the change was so gradual I didn't realise how far they had gone until the day I didn't see a child on a bike until she was level with the side of my car door!!!

That scared the living daylights out of me and I put the car keys away and didn't drive again until I got both eyes done.

Have an appointment this Saturday for another check up as my left eye is deteriorating rapidly, I am now tripping over things as I cannot judge distances very well. Hopefully this will lead to treatment (fingers crossed).
Happy New Year to you all and thanks for the advice.

Went for a check up today and finally my optician agrees that I should have the Operation.
So just waiting for all the arrangements to be made now.

I'd agree with the second opinion.

Before I got mine done (a few years ago now) I knew they were getting worse but the change was so gradual I didn't realise how far they had gone until the day I didn't see a child on a bike until she was level with the side of my car door!!!

That scared the living daylights out of me and I put the car keys away and didn't drive again until I got both eyes done.

That sounds really frightening to have a near miss on the roadway.

It just shows how important it is to have an eyesight check up for driving.

Have an appointment this Saturday for another check up as my left eye is deteriorating rapidly, I am now tripping over things as I cannot judge distances very well. Hopefully this will lead to treatment (fingers crossed).
Happy New Year to you all and thanks for the advice.

Well done Stranger glad to hear that is is the case. I found winter, and the dark worst of all as I could not see the edge of the pavement very well, so I have had a few grazed knees in my time.

Tell me how you get on! ;)

Went for a check up today and finally my optician agrees that I should have the Operation.
So just waiting for all the arrangements to be made now.

Well done - it is so worth it - though one eye will be done at one time, so it will not go with your lens perscription afterwards. I had a check up in July this year. The pre-operation check up one week before the operation itself in December 2013.

The good thing is that you are able to see the change straight away! :t: It is fabulous by the way.

I have to wait 5 weeks for a lens change now, and I will go this week to my optican to check my right eye to see if the operation was a success (no probs here)

In my own case my left eye, and my right eye where both 3.5 for many years. Now my left eye is 3.5 and my right eye is 2.0. So my right eye so much better than the left. Yes, it means my lenses need to be changed now.

The lenses are set to suit your eye sight... over the problem with the cataract sadly, and it really shows with how much you are able to see long term.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Yes, I know what you mean about the dangers of night time driving.
Had to work late a couple of weeks ago and it was dark by the time I got to leave.
An idiot in dark clothing decided to run out in front of me about 10 yards from a zebra crossing. I only saw him at the last minute, then further down the road I thought I saw a rear light on a bike only to find it was the reflection on a wet road of the headlights coming toward me.
I have not driven at night since!

Finally had the op yesterday and vision already much improved.
Can`t wait to get out birdwatching again without the frustration of not being able to locate birds that others can see clearly.

Good news Stranger that your eyes are done :t::t::t:

It is like looking into a new world once the op is done as your sight is there straight away.

Remember to use the eye drops as perscribed, and do not lift anything to heavy - bend those knees for the first month or so!

I found that I can see without my 'new' glasses as well as with, and that suits me to the ground in the rain.

Regards
Kathy
x

Peewit.
I was given the choice longsight or shortsight and chose longsight.
So will not need glasses except for reading.
Can hardly believe how much my vision has improved already and will certainly follow the instruction to the letter.
The only problem now is that I won`t be able to use poor sight as an excuse for miss I.D.`s now.

Peewit.
I was given the choice longsight or shortsight and chose longsight.
So will not need glasses except for reading.
Can hardly believe how much my vision has improved already and will certainly follow the instruction to the letter.
The only problem now is that I won`t be able to use poor sight as an excuse for miss I.D.`s now.

LOL, I know what you mean. It is good to get a choice about your new vision.

My last trip to Southern Spain in September 2013 was fraught with missed opportunities at the fly bys, and the birds 'standing' in the 'watery' distance.....along with the bright sun which is not good with cataracts.

It is good to see well now - even to the point of not having to look at large blown up text/typing using (Ctrl/+) while using the Forums .

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back