• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 10 x 30 and 8 x 30 - appreciate your thoughts! (1 Viewer)

Laughing Kookaburra

I'm evaluating lightweight 8 x 32 and 10 x 32 binoculars for wildlife viewing and route finding while hiking, backpacking, kayaking, skiing, cycling, etc. (have a thread going in the General Bino Forum on Best lightweight 8 x 32), and the Nikon Monarch 7 10 x 30 and 8 x 30 are very attractive given the low 15 oz. weight (the 10x is only 0.2 ounces heavier than the 8x).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on how these two will compare with each other. I'd love the extra magnification of the 10x, and given the fact that both binos have the same components, glass, build, weight, etc. I'm wondering if the image quality will be the same. A member posted on that thread that he's never seen a 10 x 30 in that price range (roughly $400) with good image quality other than the Zeiss Conquest 10 x 32 sold several years ago for $399. It would seem strange to me that the image quality would degrade that much for the 10x given what appears to be essentially the same binocular (btw that member has been super helpful, I'm just interested in hearing more on this topic from Nikon users).

Which binos from other manufacturers in 8-10 X 30-32 and similar price range do you find offer similar quality, so that I have a reference point?

Unfortunately haven't found a retailer in my area that carries both the 10X and 8 X 30 M7.

One option that i'm sure other US inhabitants can better advise on would be to contact one of the larger, more reputable retailers with a mail order service and order both, and send the one you don't want back. If you contacted them first and made sure they are cool with that, you at least get the chance to try them in your own back yard and in a range of light conditions.
Perhaps someone like Eagle Optics? I don't really know the US optics set-up, but i've seen that others seem to have done this when faced with difficult choices. You probably have to pay for the return postage, i would imagine.

In my opinion the 8x is better as an all round choice. You mentioned some areas when even lower magnification would be preferable, like kayaking. Apart from more stable view 8x will give you brighter image at low light conditions and wider field of view.
Also bear in mind that when you become tired during these activities the ability to hold the binocular stable is worsened. Personally I would never use 10x bino for the purposes you mentioned. But it's just me.

Hi again -
I think in the case of the Monarch 7, both 8x and 10x are so small and light, the issue of weight won't come in - according to Nikon (and i haven't used the 10x) the AFOV difference is miniscule. However, the 8x will definitely give you more light through a slightly larger exit pupil - but in both cases, it's below 4mm. I've used the 8x around dusk and it's been fine. To be honest, i'd be tempted to just get the 8x and be done with it. It'll give you all you need i reckon. I did read some negative comment about the 10x, but for the life of me, can't remember where! If it comes back to me i'll post the link.

I'm curious about the 10x30 M7 also but seems to be a rather mysterious beast.

I'm considering changing my E2 for one but certainly difficult to decide at present.

If anyone can shed any light on the 10x30 it would be appreciated.

I'm curious about the 10x30 M7 also but seems to be a rather mysterious beast.

I'm considering changing my E2 for one but certainly difficult to decide at present.

If anyone can shed any light on the 10x30 it would be appreciated.

Clive:

You may find it hard to find someone who has one of those, as most
would have the 8x30 model.
Any 10x30 has a smallish exit pupil and that does offer some issues, with ease of view, and lack of brightness.

It would be nice if you could try both the 8x30 and the 10x30, to see which one you prefer.
A higher power sounds nice, but not always the best choice.

Before you move on from the EII, you should get a 8x30 M7 to compare.
The EII is special in its own way, you would quickly find out how well
it does when comparing to another 8x30. The CA thing is usually a small
problem, unless you are just looking for it. Even ED binoculars have some
CA, in the top brands.

Jerry

Last edited:
Laughing Yogibear,

I've only tried the 8x30 M7, which I liked very much, but I came across this positive review of the 10x30 model, which won OutdoorGearLab's Editors' Choice Winner last year.

Here's the conclusion:

"We have tested over thirteen different pairs of binoculars while running them through a whole host of different challenges and adventures. At the end of each day, testers would return the Nikon Monarch 7 and ask where they could buy a pair. Available for an incredibly reasonable price while also delivering exceptional clarity and quality; the Monarch 7 is our Editors' Choice for best all-around binocular."

Here's the entire review:

Reviews/Nikon-Monarch-7-10x30

Smiling Snagglepuss

Note that the reviewers didn't see any "veiling glare" on the 10x30 M7.

"Due to the design of the optical lens on the Nikon Monarch 7, it performs well in all lighting conditions. Including on sunny days while looking at Turkey Vultures flying overhead." and.... "without the appearance of white spots or ghosting that we noticed with the Vanguard Endeavor."

In regard to Jerry's concern (and mine) about brightness, the reviewers wrote:

"With an optical lens size of 30 and an exit pupil of 3, the Monarch 7 performs well in multiple lighting conditions, including dusk."

<B>

Last edited:
Laughing Yogibear,

I've only tried the 8x30 M7, which I liked very much, but I came across this positive review of the 10x30 model, which won OutdoorGearLab's Editors' Choice Winner last year.

Here's the conclusion:

"We have tested over thirteen different pairs of binoculars while running them through a whole host of different challenges and adventures. At the end of each day, testers would return the Nikon Monarch 7 and ask where they could buy a pair. Available for an incredibly reasonable price while also delivering exceptional clarity and quality; the Monarch 7 is our Editors' Choice for best all-around binocular."

Here's the entire review:

Reviews/Nikon-Monarch-7-10x30

Smiling Snagglepuss

I'm starting to take reviews with a rather large pinch of snuff. No really I do use tobacco snuff. Ah that's better. Certainly better than salt.

Damn it I'm going to order one now. I'll sort the E2 return out later.

I just bought a pair of the M7 10X30 for my daughter.

During the selection process, my Other Half said "Wow!" when she looked through them, and my daughter declared them "amazing".

I realize that this is not an especially sophisticated "review".

I just bought a pair of the M7 10X30 for my daughter.

During the selection process, my Other Half said "Wow!" when she looked through them, and my daughter declared them "amazing".

I realize that this is not an especially sophisticated "review".

Any "Wow" is a good thing. You did well.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back