• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

OK. Since everyone is weighing in on the wire ;) I tend to agree with Nick and think the tension it creates is fine. But I realize many might think it's just too 'unrealistic' for a 'realistic' picture.

I had at first wondered if a few strands of grass going in front of it on left side might indicate that it was still there but just disappeared in the grass. But now I'm not so sure of that. Today's thought is to bend it down rather than up so it goes off the page a few inches from the left corner. So that way you still have tension but it's also more 'realistic.'

Then again, and this is probably best, just leave it as it is.

As said before I always give such advice with great reluctance. Only you know what looks right to you!

For some reason...[if you were to 'tinker' with the wire Tim]...i would just tweek the barbed wire upwards towards the end...might flow a bit better?
Just a thought.....[but who am i to give advice?...i haven't done any paintings for looong time]...! Great pic anyway......

Too many problems with this one Tim, just send it on down to me and I'll sort 'em out for you... Should only take me twenty years or so... ;)

Mike

I'll sort 'em out for you... Should only take me twenty years or so... ;)

Mike
You ought to be working a tad quicker than that, son!

Funny how the apparently 'simple' image such as this seems to provoke most comment; all very welcome and valid, I might add.

Too many problems with this one Tim, just send it on down to me and I'll sort 'em out for you... Should only take me twenty years or so... ;)

Mike

Twenty years may seem along time but it's difficult to do anything when it's on a wall, in a frame behind glass.

Tim, I would leave the wire as it is, it don't need any tension from where I am sitting ;-)
But, I am going back a bit and catching up and have to say, I am also loving the crow. Just so much is happening in that image.
When you do a beach scene like that, do you just paint the pebbles or do you sketch in a few lines first?

He does look a bit lonesome. There are only 4 elements and they seem too separate from each other, not enough echos, basically a technical thing, I think, like brush stokes as the color is definitely integrated. A little soft overall, but I see what you're going for. Owls ask for a sharper and more dramatic effect I think. I hope this is useful.... David

Still waiting for some nice Gyr sketches mate.....;)
. . . in off the sea at 10am, seen by Jim 'Gandolf' Williams, alone on Black Craig, Stromness (approx. 2 miles from my house :smoke:) - second report of a gyr in two weeks. I'll get one soon, Ads o:D

. . . . a slight diversion from feathers . . . .

Attachments

• trout8.jpg
    trout8.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 96
Stunning image, Tim. The fish looks so solid, and is suspended very convincingly in the water.

I hope you'll admit that this is more than "adequately painted"?

Mike

Ah bummer, thought it might've been a sitter....!
Nice fish too mate, very good. Never tried painting a fish - actually that's a lie....for my A-level mocks we had to paint 'time' (yeah, I know!) so I brought in a fresh fish and some sliced fruit and painted them as they were and how they were a few days later...can't say I was popular!! B-block reeked for weeks after!

Ah bummer, thought it might've been a sitter....!
Nice fish too mate, very good. Never tried painting a fish - actually that's a lie....for my A-level mocks we had to paint 'time' (yeah, I know!) so I brought in a fresh fish and some sliced fruit and painted them as they were and how they were a few days later...can't say I was popular!! B-block reeked for weeks after!

Maybe we were doing A levels at around the same time; My piece was a mackerel on a plate with a nice slice or two of lemon and some fennel. It was fine for the first few hours but about half-way through the drawing it began to get a bit 'fragrant'. Mr. Law was not pleased! :-O

Nice to see live fishy paintings though, especially ones as good as this.

Mike

Great painting! It makes me want to present a nice dry fly:)

I haven't flyfished in many a year, but you're right. My first thought was to be out flyfishing, dropping a fly right in front of this fellow. I've never really thought about how you'd portray something sitting beneath the water before but I imagine it would stop me cold. This looks perfectly natural. I don't even realize that it creates the illusion of a fish being seen in the water until I start thinking about it.

I haven't flyfished in many a year, but you're right. My first thought was to be out flyfishing, dropping a fly right in front of this fellow. I've never really thought about how you'd portray something sitting beneath the water before but I imagine it would stop me cold. This looks perfectly natural. I don't even realize that it creates the illusion of a fish being seen in the water until I start thinking about it.

Agreed, even all those lovely spatters look great whereas if I do that, it looks like I have spilt my red wine ;-)

We are currently experiencing a winter storm in most of the US. The temperatures are dropping! It was 10 degrees F (-12 C) this morning and the expected low for tonight is -9 degrees F (-23 C). I have been staying inside today (except to fill the bird feeders and shovel off the eight inches of snow which fell yesterday).

While sitting at our kitchen table and viewing the birds coming to our feeders I attempted to sketch a few of the birds which were coming in. I do not do very well at drawing birds from life. I seem to be able to do better when working from a photograph or picture of some sort.

I envy some of the posters to this thread in their ability to convey a real feeling for the bird(s) they are portraying in their artistic renderings.

Perhaps if I keep practicing I may be able to show some of our birds more realistically.

Here is my humble attempt which I did this morning.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 82
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 68
Ewe must be joking . . .

Probably obvious that this piece isn't self-motivated.
They are multi-prize winning Cheviots (long-gone now). "Three Cheviots" - acrylic on canvas, 24"x20".
. . . . . .BUT . . . . . posting the painting gives me a sneaky excuse to post this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug

Attachments

• treewes.jpg
    treewes.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back