• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Wood warbler ,CUBA (1 Viewer)

DOC REED

Help!Cayo Cocos on Cuba this easter .mangrove thicket buzzing with warblers ,including Prairie/Cape May, Redstart ,Yellow,B & W ,N.waterthrush,Parula,Black Throated Green and Black Throated Blue,and finally Palm warbler.Then this one popped up.I've looked in New World warblers and still cant clinch it.Some American help needed here?Possibly Yellow rumped or poorly marked Cape May.Thanks in advance for any help offered !

Attachments

• woodwarbler.jpg
    woodwarbler.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 149
Doc Hi,
I can't find anything in Sibley that is remotely comparable! I can see the reasons for calling on Cape May and Yellow Rumped as having constituent parts that might be ascribed.....albeit as previously stated 'remotely.' Even a hybrid species would take some 'imagination'. From a structural point of view, the bill to my eye looks 'not inconsiderable'. Others may have a different perspective?.............

I certainly don't have a confident ID, but one thing to remember is that the bird may be molting between two quite different plumages. It seems to have some characteristics of a Blackpoll Warbler halfway between basic and alternate, but not all is well with that hypothesis, either, as I don't see any striping on the back and the feet appear to be the wrong color.

The bird is not any of the American warblers, I believe -- neither Yellow-rumped or Cape May. I am pretty certain on that, as the markings and general body structure don't match either species (that looks like a really long bill).

I'm used to seeing Cape May and Yellow-rumped in winter plumage here in South Florida, and I don't recall an individual looking quite like this one.

Carlos

Last edited:
I think you might have it Microtus! It certainly fits the breast, wing, and rump coloration of the bird in the photo. I take my previous post back. To think, I was looking at some Cape May Warblers today in Key Largo but in spiffy breeding plumage.

Looking at my "Birds of the West Indies," nothing endemic to the Caribbean is even remotely close to the bird in the photo so CMWA seems like the best answer.

Carlos

(EDIT: posting at the same time as Carlos].

Cape May was my first thought. Sure has a long bill though. However, yellow just between auriculars and shoulder of wing is in just the right place. We have seen some weird whitish CMWA in these threads in the past.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The body said Dendroica, but the pointed bill said Cape May. There appears to be some direct sunlight on the face, side of the throat, and upper chest, which makes the bird look really odd.

The Cuban endemics plates in the big Raffaele et al. has nothing resembling this bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back