• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip advice - Taiwan April 2019 (1 Viewer)

amazingly

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Taiwan from Australia, arriving on 12 April and have created an itinerary based on exploring some of the key birding areas of Taiwan. I will be travelling by public transport, except when a taxi is necessary.

This is my planned itinerary but I am keen to receive advice.

1.Taipei for 3 nights - planning to go to :
  • Day : Taipei Botanic Gardens ; Huajiang IBA
  • Day : Yehliu IBA ; Jinshan - Quinshui Wetlands
  • Day : Guandu Nature Park ; Wulai
2.Huisun Forest Area for 2 nights (hoping to book a cabin or room there - have attempted via email to make a booking but yet to receive confirmation). Do I need to book ahead for a cabin on a Monday and Tuesday night or would it be fine to turn up?
3.Dasyueshan Forest Area for 4 nights - I will need to hire a taxi to get there from Dongshi i believe. I am struggling to figure out how to book accommodation at one of their cabins and am worried i will get there and not have a room to sleep in. Any suggestions ?? I am really keen to stay there as i have read so many positive things about the area. Also, without a car, will that limit dramatically the range of birds i might see ? I thought with 4 nights i could do some long walks up and down the road and along the paths but if you have advice i'd be very keen to hear it. Perhaps this is too many nights here without a car ?
4.Chiayi - 1 night here so that i can visit the Aogu Wetlands - is that site easy to access ?? Again i am thinking i will need to catch a taxi here.
5.Alishan Forest Area - 2 nights - not particularly certain about whether to stay here - the birding looks good but i'm not particularly keen on the busy tourist element that seems to be part of the area . Is it worth staying two nights here primarily for birding ? This will be my final destination, after which i will return to Taipei for my flight out early the next morning.

Other areas I was considering but think i will keep for another trip :
Aowanda ; Kenting NP (incl. Longluan Lake) ; Shimen Reservoir ; Huben IBA - Pitta Cafe ; Taijiang NP ; Gaomei Wetlands ; Taroko NP ; Blue Gate Trail ; Hsinchu Coast IBA - Gangnan ; Lanyu Island

I'd rather not overdo my first trip here and be able to relax a little in nature whilst searching for birds. Also, the logistics of public transport have been considered in creating the itinerary above.

Anyhow, please feel free to comment on my itinerary and specifically if you have any advice on accommodation at Huisun or Dasyueshan or thoughts on whether Alishan is worth it, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back