• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Scopes (2 Viewers)

This Leica price increase is a joke ! i payed £850 for my duovids three years ago and now they are £1499.00 from WHExpress, you are so right they will price themselves out of business.
If they ever get to £1700.00 il sell them and get my money back two fold LOL:eek!:

Sadly Thola I don't think those prices will stay like that...

What I reckon Leica are doing is pricing themselves up to the rumoured price of the new Swaro EL. However, that (or at least its marketing spiel) is supposed to be really revolutionary, in terms of flat field, wide view, ED glass etc. whereas the Leica is just a slightly improved version of the old Ultravid.
I, and I bet loads of other people, couldn't justify the increase.

I really hope that by the time I have saved up enough for an FL Zeiss won't have done the obvious, stupid, mindless thing and increased their prices to match. Because that would be a real gap in the market-a top-notch, alpha 8x42 static at less than a grand, and cos I've had such good service off them I almost want them to beat the rest... ;)

To bring the thread back on topic, SW Optics are now showing the Televid HD 82 in stock, at £2,679.00
(just in case anyone won the lottery last week)

Interestingly enough, talking about leica prices check this out:

£20 for one rainguard!!!

Fits directly over the objective lens (large end lens) by means of a rubber ring sliding over the outside of the binocular. Size approx 54mm diameter. Price quoted is for a SINGLE COVER....an exceptional price. Please complain to Leica directly if unhappy!

^From swoptics site. Not sure if that is sarcasm or not!

April's Birdwatch (that's Birdwatch and not Birdwatching) magazine has the first official in-depth review of the 82mm. It's very complimentary.

Last edited:
Jaff said:
April's Birdwatch (that's Birdwatch and not Birdwatching) magazine has the first official in-depth review of the 82mm. It's very complimentary.

Yeah, I don't think that I've ever seen an uncomplimentary review in Birdwatch.

Probably don't want to offend potential advertisers!!!

Yeah, I don't think that I've ever seen an uncomplimentary review in Birdwatch.

Probably don't want to offend potential advertisers!!!

True enough.

Also if it's a top of the line scope then of course it's going to be jaw-droppingly good. They wouldn't sell it otherwise. Is it worth the money though, well that's the real question isn't it? :t:

True enough.

Also if it's a top of the line scope then of course it's going to be jaw-droppingly good. They wouldn't sell it otherwise. Is it worth the money though, well that's the real question isn't it? :t:

I think I can answer your question: if you don't have the money, you'd better not look through one. I did, :eek!: and now my Zeiss seems second rate.:C

If you like jawdropping experiences, on the other hand, DO try one.
I am never going to able to afford one, not even if I set straight priorities.

Ronald

Korhaan said:
you'd better not look through one. I did, and now my Zeiss seems second rate.

I've got a Zeiss and I wouldn't be too scared about looking through a Leica. Reason being, I've got 40:20 eyes and at 60x my Zeiss is still sharp as a tack, so I very much doubt Leica would be able to improve on that by a measure of £1200!!!

See here for some testing results of the new Leica: www.twvg.nl

I'll guess some translation programme will make it understandable.

Little bit dissapointing mayby?

I don't really care anymore. I used to want a Leica scope but now I don't.

I have a dinky kowa 60mm scope which does all I ask it to. I don't see why I should spend over £2000 (which I don't have, I might add) on a scope. Which is why I think the manufacturers have lost the plot in raising their prices to such astronomical heights.

I don't really care anymore. I used to want a Leica scope but now I don't.

I have a dinky kowa 60mm scope which does all I ask it to. I don't see why I should spend over £2000 (which I don't have, I might add) on a scope. Which is why I think the manufacturers have lost the plot in raising their prices to such astronomical heights.
Me too. I'm satisfied with the Kowa 773. Actually, I'm glad to see that I didn't wait to see the results of a scope 200% of the price I now have.

Design flaw?

Do the new scopes really have extendable shades that can't be twisted? If so, the fine aiming feature would at best be usable in straight versions only. But even in those, it would often be helpful to move it to the side. I always use mine on my straight Apo77 turned to the left side. If the new scopes no longer allow a twist, it would clearly be a flaw in the basic design. The only possible reason for such a restriction would be the wrong priority given to the red Leica roundel. Its place on the extendable shade is optimal only as long as the shade is not twisted.

New Leica Spotting Scopes

I am also currious if anyone actually has bought the new Leica Scopes..? I see Cabellas in USA has them in stock already too. I have purchased a Swar HD80 and now thinking of one of these units myself..

Cheers, Jerry

You don't enjoy your Swaro? As far as I understand the only real big benefit of the new Leica is a large fov with the zoom. (I have only read a few tests though, it might have lots of virtues).

But then you have to pay a fortune for it and it is heavy and bulky. Last but not least it has a, blue I think, color bias. This is something both the Zeiss diascope and from what ive heard the Leica suffers from. It is a quite nasty feature, imo, since it can really make it harder to id birds when the colour is of the essence.
The Swarovski on the other hand got a clear and lovely neutral tone ;)

I am also currious if anyone actually has bought the new Leica Scopes..? I see Cabellas in USA has them in stock already too. I have purchased a Swar HD80 and now thinking of one of these units myself..

Cheers, Jerry

You don't enjoy your Swaro? As far as I understand the only real big benefit of the new Leica is a large fov with the zoom. (I have only read a few tests though, it might have lots of virtues).

But then you have to pay a fortune for it and it is heavy and bulky. Last but not least it has a, blue I think, color bias. This is something both the Zeiss diascope and from what ive heard the Leica suffers from. It is a quite nasty feature, imo, since it can really make it harder to id birds when the colour is of the essence.
The Swarovski on the other hand got a clear and lovely neutral tone ;)

I love my Swar HD80.. Just was thinking of mabe getting a leica 82MM possibly. Thanks, jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back