• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

same tripod for camera and spotting scope? (1 Viewer)

szybszy

I'm planning to buy a spotting scope. I have that latest green Manfrotto tripod (forgot the type name) used for digital photography (Canon 10 D) and am trying to find out if and which spotting scopes could be used with the same tripod? THANKS !

Hi there,

Wouldn't that depend on the base plate? I use both camera and scope on my Manfrotto, having screwed on the same base plate on both.

szybszy said:
I'm planning to buy a spotting scope. I have that latest green Manfrotto tripod (forgot the type name) used for digital photography (Canon 10 D) and am trying to find out if and which spotting scopes could be used with the same tripod? THANKS !

I use a Manfrotto 3021B Pro tripod with an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead. I have Arca-compatible quick release plates on both my scope and my tele lenses, and I interchange them. I also have an Arca-Swiss-compatible window mount, so there is much swapping back and forth. There are frantic moments with this setup, but it beats lugging even more equipment along, i.e., another complete tripod with head.

I have found that there are disadvantages when using a ball head with a spotting scope. I currently use two different setups. I've found over time that I must make an active decision about whether to be a photographer for the day or a birder.

I'm attempting, however, to take publishable photos. If you're doing casual digiscoping or taking documentary photos, the ball head presents no real problems.

I do like the smooth movement of the fluid head (a Bogen) I use for my scope. Releasing the ball on a ball head requires you to totally reposition the scope, and this can be costly in terms of losing good views of fast-moving birds. Using the panning bed of a ballhead seems like a good idea until you realize how un-level horizons are in the field. You still wind up releasing the ball head and readjusting all of the axes.

I use a Kirk ballhead and a Slik carbon fiber tripod for photography. If I think about it beforehand, I will sometimes swap out the heads and use the carbon fiber tripod with my scope. It's amazing how much lighter the carbon fiber tripod feels. If I had the budget, I'd buy another and use only carbon fiber tripods, but I use my old Bogen 3021 for the scope at present.

To summarize, quality photographs are not often taken casually. If the purpose of your photographs is purely documentary, then the ease of using one setup and merely putting quick-release plates on both camera and scope is a worth endeavor.

Just my opinion, of course.

Steve in Houston

Steve Gross said:
I do like the smooth movement of the fluid head (a Bogen) I use for my scope. Releasing the ball on a ball head requires you to totally reposition the scope, and this can be costly in terms of losing good views of fast-moving birds. Using the panning bed of a ballhead seems like a good idea until you realize how un-level horizons are in the field. You still wind up releasing the ball head and readjusting all of the axes.

I use a Kirk ballhead and a Slik carbon fiber tripod for photography. If I think about it beforehand, I will sometimes swap out the heads and use the carbon fiber tripod with my scope. It's amazing how much lighter the carbon fiber tripod feels. If I had the budget, I'd buy another and use only carbon fiber tripods, but I use my old Bogen 3021 for the scope at present.

Thanks Steve, that was my hunch as well, only I wanted to confirm it.

szybszy said:
Thanks Steve, that was my hunch as well, only I wanted to confirm it.

I actually usually use a Wimberley Sidekick gimbal device mounted on my Arca-Swiss ballhead. This eliminates the problems that the previous posters mentioned. You get balanced, weightless control over the scope or camera. But it's a big financial investment by the time all's said and done.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back