• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripod for swarovski scope (1 Viewer)

MattMatt

hi.

i'm brand new to digiscoping. so new, in fact that i don't even have a scope yet. i'm pretty sure i am going to get the swarovski at-80 hd scope, which seems to be the best, and the 20-60x eyepiece. it looks like it will run me $1900, and if anyone has a good suggestion on where to buy it from, that would be very helpful.

my question is about tripods/heads. I'm not sure which one to get. what i think i've figured out from these poists is that stability is essential. so there are 2 options, either a light (3lb) carbon tripod, like gitzo or a heavier tripod. it seems that the light ones run >$600 while the heavier ones can run <$300. is it worth the extra lightness/money? are the light tripods as stable as the heavier ones? what is the best tripod/head for less than $300? the difference in price is significant, so i want to make the right decision.

thanks!

--matt

Hi Matt,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators I'd like to welcome you to Bird Forum.

I have just bought the ATS 80 HD myself to replace my Kowa 823. I have been using a Manfrotto 055NAT tripod with a 128 head. The combination is heavy but very stable 5.1lbs without head. I think Manfrotto are marketed under the Bogen name in the USA, the 055 range being Bogen 3021N and BN.

I have however just obtained the Man 443 / Bogen 3443D so as to save a bit of weight. It works out at 3.5lbs.

First thoughts are that it's as stable as the 055 but in windy conditions the heavier model will be better.

As for heads I use the Man 128RC NAT / Bogen 3130G which is a fluid type head giving smooth movements.

One advantage of using Manfrotto / Bogen is that certainly on this tripod combo, the scope sits directly in the head without the need for using a plate.

I'll sure other members will be along to give their thoughts too and perhaps point you in the direction of some places to purchase.

See you around :t:

I haven't done a great deal of digiscoping but I did find that my carbon-fibre Gitzo 1227 Mk2 tripod was actually more stable than my much heavier metal Manfrotto 144 (i think like the 055 but without the switches to spread the legs). I believe carbon fibre is a more rigid material than metal equivalents. But it is lighter, so slightly more likely to blow over in strong winds.

Gitzo (French-built) are a bit pricier than Manfrotto but very well made. Seem to be more popular with photographers than birders here in UK

Great minds think alike - I've got the same gear ('scope AND tripod) as Ian: Manfrotto 055 and 128RC head. Heavy, but very good.
These 'ere new-fangled carbon fibre jobbies just don't feel solid enough to me and are a bit 'girlie'.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1........
Chris

CJW said:
These 'ere new-fangled carbon fibre jobbies just don't feel solid enough to me and are a bit 'girlie'.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1........
Chris[/end QUOTE]

Exactly. That's why my wife is able to carry a full-size scope and tripod for me for several miles over the roughest terrain without complaint.

dogfish said:
CJW said:
5, 4, 3, 2, 1........
Chris[/end QUOTE]

Exactly. That's why my wife is able to carry a full-size scope and tripod for me for several miles over the roughest terrain without complaint.
What else is she going to do? may aswell make use.

thanks for the pointers.
i'm a little confused though. if it's not windy, why wouldn't any tripod be stable?
have you experienced problems taking photos through the 443 because it shakes in the wind?
also, is it a disadvantage to have a lighter scope, because it's less stable, or is it only the weight of the tripod that's important?
thanks,
matt

IanF said:
Hi Matt,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators I'd like to welcome you to Bird Forum.

I have just bought the ATS 80 HD myself to replace my Kowa 823. I have been using a Manfrotto 055NAT tripod with a 128 head. The combination is heavy but very stable 5.1lbs without head. I think Manfrotto are marketed under the Bogen name in the USA, the 055 range being Bogen 3021N and BN.

I have however just obtained the Man 443 / Bogen 3443D so as to save a bit of weight. It works out at 3.5lbs.

First thoughts are that it's as stable as the 055 but in windy conditions the heavier model will be better.

As for heads I use the Man 128RC NAT / Bogen 3130G which is a fluid type head giving smooth movements.

One advantage of using Manfrotto / Bogen is that certainly on this tripod combo, the scope sits directly in the head without the need for using a plate.

I'll sure other members will be along to give their thoughts too and perhaps point you in the direction of some places to purchase.

See you around :t:

Hi Matt,

I've just bought the 443 this week and have for the first time had it out today. It's as stable as the 055. The point to do with the wind is that the 055 is heavy in itself and will stay upright in the wind. I have been out on a couple of occasions with other birders in windy conditions and the carbon fibre ones have a tendency to blow over - though they do have a ring on which to suspend a counter weight.

I'm certainly happy enough with the 443, but if the extra weight isn't a consideration for you then the cheaper 055 is just as good if not better as it can be used in all conditions.

As regards digiscoping even the heavier tripod shakes in strong winds. Okay for viewing but not much use for taking photos. I went for the carbon fibre one purely as a weight saving measure as I sometimes carry my gear for several miles.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back