• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel sites - info required (1 Viewer)

Not sure if anyone else had noticed, but the 'TravellingBirder' website here has been down for the last few days. It was the premier source of worlwide trip reports ... I'm assuming it's not just me ...

Now, I'm due to leave for Israel on sunday (6th), and I was hoping to use these reports for planning my trip/itinerary ... oops.

If anyone had downloaded any of the trip reports and were able to send me a copy I'd be extremely grateful (pm me and I'll send you my email address). Similarly, any links to other recent trip reports on the web.

Cheers in advance, Dan

EDIT: the site seems to be working again!! Slow, but working ... hopefully I'll be successful in accessing the reports ....

Still not working for me....just get a grey screen.....

Still not working for me....just get a grey screen.....

Hmmm ... that was my problem too. However, leaving the page up for half a minute or more in a separate tab whilst I wrote more **** on BF, and it would eventually arrive ...

I have now managed to download relevant reports from the past year or two.

Hi guys,
The famous KM33 alluvial plains are not a military zone at all and can be accessed by anyone at any time, the only thing is that the area has not been good for larks since about 2004. Tee habitat and apparently the PH levels of the soil have changed, mainly due to the numerous agricultural projects that keep "enroaching" the plains from the north.
There are atill many Lark sightings there but these involve several species of migrant Larks.
Dunn's Lark has always been and still is a very rare bird in Israel and they are unfortunately encountered mainly in remote areas. Till last springs minor invasion there has only been a handful of breeding records in Israel.
As for Hoopoe Lark, it is also seriously declining but there are some birds that show regularly in recent years at the sand dunes just north of the Yotvata circular fields.
And just a footnote, all of Israel's so called "Firing Zones" and military areas are open to the public on the Israeli Weekend (friday and saturday). Of course it is important to know where to go but information is plentiful and visiting birders can actually go exatly where "us locals" can go..
I will be happy to help with information.
Best.
Jonathan

Shame about KM33 that was a great spot when I went back in 1997also saw Humes owl on one of Hadorams tours,also visited Nizzana in the Negev and saw Arabian warbler at yotvata (are they still found their)remember seeing a flock of Syrian serin behind a supermarket in Yeroham....

btw, has anyone come across a map or anything on the internet (or including anything they could scan) showing the main birding sites positioned on a map of the country? Struggling to get a picture of where places are/how they relate on the map. Cheers ...

One last request ... (sounds ominous!)

Anyone been able to find sound recordings of eg Arabian Warbler, Mountain Bunting and the like on the net? I see there's a single Hume's Owl recording on xeno canto (although not sure if it is that useful - not that clear imo).

Cheers, Dan.

(btw, in my case at least, this is to acquaint myself with the calls rather than to use as playback)

Last edited:
All

Is anyone 'on the ground' able to give information regarding the Striated Scops Owl which seems to be a long stayer at the Hazeva Field School?

Thanks

All

Is anyone 'on the ground' able to give information regarding the Striated Scops Owl which seems to be a long stayer at the Hazeva Field School?

Thanks

Not on the ground, but under the impression these wintering birds should be well on the way up north by now. If the info given for the regularly wintering birds near Eliat is anything to go by.

Can't believe it's March already!! Does anyone know of any reliable sites for Hoopoe Lark and (maybe) Dunn's Lark - that are accessible by us mere mortals? And does anyone have any recent info on sandgrouse sites....

When I was there last March we had one Hoopoe Lark at Yotvata by the border fence (the only one on the trip) and unfortunately no Dunn's (which I still need).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back