• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Utah (1 Viewer)

bcurrie

Went out to Antelope Island to try and catch a glimpse of the Snow Buntings. Still no sight of them, but I did something even better (I will relate how it came about at the end, hoping to demonstrate to never write off anything thinking you know what it is).

Starling
Black-billed Magpie
American Kestrel
White-crowned Sparrow
Canada Goose
American Goldfinch
Ring-billed Gull
American Pipit
Horned Lark
Prairie Falcon

Then I came back and decided to bird where they are putting in a Wetlands Preserve, about two miles from me. Additionally, I saw a Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, and Dark-eyed Juncos (the Oregon and Pink-sided sub-species) . I was at the end of the road, so I turned around and about 150 yards in the distance I saw what I thought was an American Kestrel (it was in that area just a few moments before, positive ID). So I started driving, and when I got to about 75 yards, I thought it looked a little big for a Kestrel. So I looked through the ol' binocs, and immediately focused on the head. It was looking straight at me, lighting was poor (rather foggy), and I thought, "Oh, another Prairie Falcon". Then it turned its head. I got rather excited at this point, "Could it be?, 'Look at the rest of the body, Brian', holy cow, 'look at the head again Brian while its still there', it is, it is a Peregrine Falcon!" I was very excited for three reasons, first you just don't see them in the Winter here, second, even though they return in the Spring, seeing them is difficult, and third it is a Life Bird for me that I have wanted to see for 20 years. Now that is what I call a good day. I'm still excited! Unfortunately, no photos as he flew right after this (mighty nice of him to stay around).

Congratulations on the Peregrin Falcon Brian, that is certainly cause for huge excitement... I can hear you smiling from here. Sometimes the photo will never match the memory and this time it was a strictly mind and eye candy for you... sort of makes one humble Eh?
Again Brian this is a great birding day for you in Utah...
How far from Ruby Ridge are you?

Great feeling isn't it Brian when something comes your way out of the blue. You almost can't comprehend it then it starts to sink in. It doesn't have to be a lifer to give you that feeling as I came across a bird just like that today. Common in some places but non existant where we saw it today.

It seems you and I had a shared feeling today.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back