• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-breasted mallard???! Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I went to a spot by the Ottawa River this afternoon where there are always lots of mallards and Canada Geese hanging out. Among all the ducks I saw what looked like a mallard hen with a white breast. She stood out from all the others, as you will see in the first photo. Everything else about her says mallard to me, so I'm wondering if she is a hybrid, a genetic oddity, or maybe just had too much fun with the bleach while doing her laundry!

Any thoughts on this "funny duck"? Also, does anyone know if they are very common?

Thanks!

Attachments

• mallard hen.jpg
    mallard hen.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 249
  • mallard hen2.jpg
    mallard hen2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 257
  • mallard hen3.jpg
    mallard hen3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 185
  • mallard hen4.jpg
    mallard hen4.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 239
  • mallard hen5.jpg
    mallard hen5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 225
I'm gonna guess it's either slightly leucistic or crossed with a domestic / farmyard / yuck duck. As to if they are common, do you mean Mallards? Or slightly leucistic Mallards? Because Mallards are pretty gosh darn common, while leucistic ones are... I guess, in a word, "uncommon."

Last edited:
Oh, there's no need to go leucistic. Mallards are notorious... for um... hybridizing... with pretty much anything that moves. Particularly around urban areas, you see all sorts of strange ones, crossed with who knows what.

overworkedirish said:
I'm gonna guess it's either slightly leucistic or crossed with a domestic / farmyard / yuck duck. As to if they are common, do you mean Mallards? Or slightly leucistic Mallards? Because Mallards are pretty gosh darn common, while leucistic ones are... I guess, in a word, "uncommon."

Hi Alex,

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant to ask if "funny white-breasted mallards" are very common! I've only been a serious birder since the spring, and while I have seen lots and lots (and lots!) of mallards I've never seen one like this!

Since it is likely to be a hybird (!) of some sort, it's too bad that it doesn't show more characteristics of its non-mallard parent.

I had one like that a year or so ago. I just figured it to be a tad mutant LOL Currently I have one that I swore was gonna end up being a male, but I was wrong and it is a female with a few odd coloring, plus it follows me around pecking my feet till I hand feed it. Guess I got myself a pet HEHE

It is indeed a pure mallard-probably with some domestic duck genes (which is not another species, just a domestic variant of mallard)....Common? Depends where you are ... such odd looking thingies are more common around urban areas in most parts of the mallard range...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back