• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (16 Viewers)

Any day is a good one if I see a Goosander Andrew LOL.

I can't remember what's the highest 'totaliser' that you've had?

Had time for a bit of a look round the Nigg Bay area this morning. The highlight was a distant flock of 30 Whooper Swans flying north. Closer at hand were two singing Chiffchaffs, four Teal, nine Snipe and a pair of Bullfinches.

Attachments

• Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_280319a.jpg
    Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_280319a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_280319b.jpg
    Whooper Swan_Girdle Ness_280319b.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 43
A pleasant but cool morning here today and there was plenty of activity around Nigg Bay. The highlight was a Merlin, causing consternation amongst the local birds. Also around were eight Snipe, seven Teal, three Chiffchaffs and a pair of Bullfinches. A Peacock butterfly was on the wing.

The marsh was looking nice too.

Attachments

• Nigg Bay Marsh_310319a.jpg
    Nigg Bay Marsh_310319a.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 41
Nothing overly exciting,while I had a walk around St Fitticks Park today.A pair of Teal and a Moorhen on the Marsh but the air was alive with the sound of Chiffchaffs.There must have been at least six singing birds,Including one ringed Individual.White ring on the right leg.

Did my first birding in Torry for a while this morning. Plenty of summer visitors were about including all three common hirundines, several Sandwich Terns and a singing Whitethroat. Despite earlier rain, there was a surprising lack of grounded migrants, although others did better later in the day. Most notable was another sighting of a Raven flying across the golf course.

There have been a few birds in the variable weather conditions over the weekend. Yesterday was fairly cold and dreich. The Nigg Bay area in the morning was busy with warblers. Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and Willow Warblers were all around in good numbers and there were also two Sedge Warblers and a Whitethroat. A Lesser Whitethroat was singing along the lane by the school field. Also in the area were a single Snipe, a Lesser Redpoll, five Bullfinches and a female Wheatear.

A look around the Ness in the late afternoon gloom produced another Lesser Whitethroat in the inviting limbs of 'the tree' and two White Wagtails on the golf course.

Today has been a bit sunnier but a pall of haar has hung over much of the Ness. The hot spot for birds was the north bank, particularly the trees below the allotments. The highlight here was my first ever spring male Pied Flycatcher on patch. It was accompanied by at least one Lesser Whitethroat, two Blackcaps and two Chiffchaffs.

A surprise was a Short-eared Owl hunting around the Battery. Perhaps it was the one that was around a month or two back but, if so, I wonder where it's been recently. A male Wheatear was below the Coo and my first Common Sandpiper of the year was on the north shore.

Attachments

• Short-eared Owl_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    Short-eared Owl_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Pied Flycatcher_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Lesser Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    Lesser Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Swallow_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    Swallow_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Wheatear_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_280419a.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 46
It was my first proper look around the Ness in a couple of weeks today. Things hadn't actually changed much, apart from the leaves having coming out a lot more. Lots of warblers were singing around Nigg Bay but there wasn't too much of note there. It was good to see two small Moorhen chicks on the marsh. A Redpoll was heard calling and there were at least 25 Sand Martins.

The Ness was chilly in the afternoon but a few things were moving out to sea. The best were a pair of Tufted Ducks and a Bonxie. There were also at least five Arctic Terns and seven Red-throated Divers. The only migrants were two Wheatears.

Attachments

• Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_110419a.jpg
    Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_110419a.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_110419b.jpg
    Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_110419b.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Moorhen_Girdle Ness_110519a.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_110519a.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 18
  • Moorhen_Girdle Ness_110519b.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_110519b.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Goldfinch_Girdle Ness_110519a.jpg
    Goldfinch_Girdle Ness_110519a.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 25
A slightly milder day in Torry today. A Lesser Whitethroat, my third of the spring, was singing on Abbey Road. A Sedge Warbler was also singing in the cleared area there, which was a new development. Three Common Terns were around the harbour mouth. Waders included two Dunlin and 22 Purple Sandpipers, most of which were transitioning into summer plumage. A Short-eared Owl was again around the Battery.

Attachments

• Common Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_120519a.jpg
    Common Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_120519a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_120519a.jpg
    Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_120519a.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_120519b.jpg
    Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_120519b.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Short-eared Owl_Girdle Ness_120519a.jpg
    Short-eared Owl_Girdle Ness_120519a.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Short-eared Owl_Girdle Ness_120519b.jpg
    Short-eared Owl_Girdle Ness_120519b.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 28
A slightly weird day today here in Torry. I spent the morning trudging around in the rain. The conditions were promising for migrants but I didn't manage to find anything except a Lesser Whitethroat on the south bank. Mark had done better, finding a female Bluethroat but this failed to reappear on the main path over the golf course.

A male Bluethroat was then reported on the north bank in the afternoon and early in the evening I went out again to look for it. It showed remarkably well, strutting about under the welcoming boughs of 'the Tree', skillfully dodging the plastic bags and discarded Polish lager cans. A Common Sandpiper was on the north shore.

Attachments

• Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519a.jpg
    Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519a.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 41
  • Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519b.jpg
    Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519b.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519c.jpg
    Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519c.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519d.jpg
    Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_180519d.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 30
Super shots of a super bird,Andrew. :t:

I'm sure there might be some good birds to be had around the Ness today,after last nights fog.However,Grandchildren take over my day,so I won't be seeing any.

To be fair Rob, there wasn't much around here except Lesser Whitethroat. And the odd Bluethroat.

I was certainly hoping there would be some good birds around the Ness today. After the mist cleared it was quite a pleasant day. A fair amount was singing around Nigg Bay and no doubt something good was hidden around there somewhere. The best I could manage was a Whinchat, perched on the young conifers by the burn. A Garden Warbler was singing along the railway embankment. A couple of Redpolls flew over, but that was about it.

I tried around the Ness in the afternoon. I saw yesterday's Bluethroat again, rather briefly. A Tufted Duck flew in off the sea. My first Puffin of the year flew south quite close inshore. Two Dunlin and were on the breakwater and there were still four Purple Sandpipers. Four Wheatears were on the golf course.

Still no bluethroats in mainland Fife. A morning when I found wood warbler, whinchat, pied flycatcher and garden warbler still felt as though something was missing!

Rob

If it's any further consolation Wood Warbler would be a total mega here. I've never seen one anywhere on the Aberdeenshire coast.

An interesting sighting today was of a female Long-tailed Duck by the Victoria Bridge, which was diving about in the river when I passed on my way to work. Not sure how healthy it is but it looks quite perky in Mark's pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back