• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginer looking for help. (1 Viewer)

Well Freddy it's not just the Tasco that gives results like that. My first scope was a Kowa 611 and that is what the results used to look like using that one. Every photo was very soft and the CA was just as bad as you're getting. Using the scope just for viewing it was a great little scope, but not for digiscoping. I did wonder whether it as the Olympus C2000Z that I was using it with, butit no longer matters as I've moved on.

Sorry, just couldn't resist the challenge ;) Couldn't let that poor heron suffer any more.

Attachments

• heron2fix.jpg
    heron2fix.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 439
Freddy, i'm looking through my pics to find my worst one with chromatic abberation, i will post it here. I must say that the CA with the pf80ed and cp990 is almost none existant, but i've had a couple that show some, but never in the center of the shot were the bird normally is. I think you will love that scope if it's anything like the 80ed. Screw the zoom for digiscoping, you won't need it unless the bird is a mile away. I bought the xl-21 and found that for most of my birding it was to much mag, unless the bird was the size of a hummingbird. I can't wait to see your results.

Hey Paul I love your PBase album, especially the water mocasin, he looks like you caught him redhanded with his hand in the cookie jar. What's up with the white squirrel, is it a grey squirrel?

Andy could you share what you did to improve my picture? I'm just learning Photo Shop and could use any advise offered. I'll post my reprocessed version of the heron. Lots of unsharp mask followed by contrast and brightness adjustment, and last, desaturate blues and magentas. Oh yeah, and resized to 25%.

Attachments

• heron2.jpg
    heron2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 406
freddy, that is a grey squirrel with some kind of white strain/gene, i have atleast three in my yard that have white on them, one is almost all white. Here's a flycatcher with some CA on the stick, i do nothing to my pics to reduce CA, i don't know how and i don't have photoshop.

Attachments

• greatcrest11.jpg
    greatcrest11.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 400
Here's another flycatch pic that should have a lot of chromatic aberration, but doesn't have any.

Attachments

• flycatcher1.jpg
    flycatcher1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 264
And here's the white squirrel. I think you'll find the xl-28 produces better results than the zoom, but i still wish i had bought the scope with the zoom just to have it for birding, i bought my scope for $600 with no eyepiece. I wish i new someone with a swarovski or leica/kowa so i could compare them.

Attachments

• whitesquirrel2.jpg
    whitesquirrel2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 256
probably sounds naive saying this, sometimes CA is very obvious as in the heron posted above, in the first flycatcher shot though what am I looking for,looks a decent shot to me, maybe ive just got lower standards, does it sometimes manifest itself as a slightly "out of focus" effect on bill,legs etc, on the enclosed picture,comments would be appreciated on the amount of CA on this shot,so I know what to look for, and also any comments on a cure!!!

Attachments

• woody1.jpg
    woody1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 254
sparrowbirder said:
probably sounds naive saying this, sometimes CA is very obvious as in the heron posted above, in the first flycatcher shot though what am I looking for,looks a decent shot to me, maybe ive just got lower standards, does it sometimes manifest itself as a slightly "out of focus" effect on bill,legs etc, on the enclosed picture,comments would be appreciated on the amount of CA on this shot,so I know what to look for, and also any comments on a cure!!!

Chromatic abberation is purple fringing around the edge between light and dark objects in the pic, like the white ring around the neck of your dove, there is some purple fringing there. IN the first flycatcher pic there is CA around the twig that's to the right of the bird. It isn't bad and could be easily removed if i knew how.

Hi Paul

Here`s a quick fix for chromatic abberation,this works in photoshop/elements.Select enhance a drop down menu appears,select colour,master appears click on this another drop down window appears now pick the colour that`s causing the fringing,a window opens drag the SATURATION arrow back to the left until the fringing goes,click okay.All you need to do now is to save the image for the correction to be permanent.

Regards Stevo.

heron on a tree-hopefully

Here you are Andy,what can you do for this heron,yes i know i was not coming back to the forum for a week ,but the visitors are at the pub,and the pc is not covered in dust sheets yet!!.This forum is addictive,but to be serious ,my herons received a very negative response,but they were at least 3/4 mile away,and it was very sunny.
Christine.

Attachments

• heron nest 029e.jpg
    heron nest 029e.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 252
re the fly catcher and white squirrel,why is it that all of the pics from America are sometimes so much more vibrant than our here in England.i cannot believe the acess you all seem to have to wildlife out there.Both pics are great,so clear,you must have been really close up.
Christine.

Blimey, can't do miracles 3:) Mainly a contrast problem with your Heron... and maybe heathaze. You're pushing it at those distances.

Attachments

• heron nest 029efix.jpg
    heron nest 029efix.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 221
christineredgat said:
re the fly catcher and white squirrel,why is it that all of the pics from America are sometimes so much more vibrant than our here in England.i cannot believe the acess you all seem to have to wildlife out there.Both pics are great,so clear,you must have been really close up.
Christine.

Here in Florida we have one of the best climates for wildlife all year round, both those pics were taken in my backyard, the squirrel was very close as far as digiscoping goes, probably 20 feet from me, don't remember how close the flycatcher was, but 20-30 feet most likely. I think we have better lighting in Florida than you in england or so i've heard from those on the net.

Yes,Thanks Andy,I do believe in miracles!!!.Which is why one day I will get a really good digi scope pic.
Paulyoly,thanks for your reply.No wonder your images are so clear,being such a short distance away.So yes Andy,I do expect miracles.But all our birds are a distance away,but then that is best for the birds,they are safe,and bird protection is a priority,but occasionally one will take the perfect pic.
thanks for taking time to reply.
Christine.

Received new scope yesterday 100ed

Haven't had much time to play with it, we are in monsoon season around here. I did manage to take this picture by holding the camera up to the scope. Shot was taken with 22X eyepiece and the subject was about thirty feet away. 1/126th sec exposure at iso 200.

Attachments

• chipper.jpg
    chipper.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 186
I understand monsoon season, it rains twice a day here in florida right now. I'm surprised your 990 didn't focus on the blade of grass just infront of the squirrel, mine likes to focus on whatever it wants even when i use area focus, which is all the time. ISO 200 explains the extra noise in the background, i've never changed the iso from 100, don't even know how. That's a good first pics for just hand holding, so hows the view through the scope? Lately i've been viewing more than photographing because the camera just doesn't do a good scope justice. Did you use the macro mode at half zoom or is that full camera zoom?

Paul
when digiscoping i tend to use manual focus on infinity on the camera and just focus through the scope, ive found very little difference between this and close focus mode.Freedy this is a good first attempt.

Picture from Pentax 100ed

Well I finally built an adaptor to mount my 4500 to the new scope. I'm having a bit of a hard time with my tripod, not very stiff and very rough movement. Not to mention I don't have a remote shutter release for my camera.
I did manage to get this shot today.
http://www.pbase.com/image/20217234
It was pretty far, about thirty yards. What do you all think?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back