• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changes in locations in Panama (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all,
it is roughly 10 years since we last visited Panama, but tickets are bought and we will be there at the end of the year. I have the now oldish where to watch book for the country (brand new back then) and am curious which changes there have been in the meantime. Any major sites that are no longer worth it, etc?

thanks
Niels

OK, a couple of more specific questions, hoping that will give more response:

1) Los Quetzales Lodge in Guadeloupe, Chiriqui -- it looks like they now have cabins with electricity and wifi, and that they still have a restaurant at the hotel part. Specific questions are these: do they still have good birds around, and would it still be necessary to have a strong 4wd to get up to the cabins? and more generally for the area out west, need for strong 4wd?

2) also out west, the area mentioned as Puerto Armuelles and surroundings: this is described as an area that is not that easy to bird, rough tracks and distance between sites, and a petrochemical area in the way for some of it. Is this area worth it today, and how is the access?

thanks
Niels

Still hoping for a knowledgeable person:

Timberline wren seems pretty much limited to upper reaches of Volcan Baru: anyone have any detailed info? Is there any guide doing that mountain?

Niels

OK, a couple of more specific questions, hoping that will give more response:

1) Los Quetzales Lodge in Guadeloupe, Chiriqui -- it looks like they now have cabins with electricity and wifi, and that they still have a restaurant at the hotel part. Specific questions are these: do they still have good birds around, and would it still be necessary to have a strong 4wd to get up to the cabins? and more generally for the area out west, need for strong 4wd?

2) also out west, the area mentioned as Puerto Armuelles and surroundings: this is described as an area that is not that easy to bird, rough tracks and distance between sites, and a petrochemical area in the way for some of it. Is this area worth it today, and how is the access?

thanks
Niels

I was there about 3 years ago - I seem to recall we only really needed the 4WD at the very end of the track, but not sure we would have got there without it. The trip up Cerro Santiago for YG Finch was on paved roads (unmade track goes off this which is 4WD but you can walk from the start). We found 4WD useful but perhaps not critical in the west but only did these two sites.

cheers, alan

Still hoping for a knowledgeable person:

Timberline wren seems pretty much limited to upper reaches of Volcan Baru: anyone have any detailed info? Is there any guide doing that mountain?

Niels

We didn't look - it is very easy in Costa Rica

cheers, alan

Thanks Alan,
so for clarity: your post No 4 reads like an answer to the Los Quetzales?
What type of 4wd did you have, something like a Nissan X-trail or something like a Pathfinder?

Niels

Thanks Alan,
so for clarity: your post No 4 reads like an answer to the Los Quetzales?
What type of 4wd did you have, something like a Nissan X-trail or something like a Pathfinder?

Niels

Yes, 4WD for the last bit - there were 4 of us and we had a big 4WD, landcruiser or similar. I cannot remember it well enough to know whether a small 4WD would be ok - I suspect it would be fine. Careful of the drive west from Panama City - I got a speeding ticket; there are plenty of speed traps on that road...

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back