• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (5 Viewers)

Had a quick look around this evening. My first Wheatear of the autumn was on the golf course. A Bonxie was offshore and waders included a Common Sandpiper and two Dunlin.

An interesting look around late afternoon today, in very calm conditions with fantastic visibility despite some heavy showers circling in the distance. Two Knot and two Dunlin were in the Greyhope Bay area and we also have to wheel out Ye Olde Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

A cracking start. Offshore huge numbers of seabirds were feeding. This included lots of Razorbills, with their rasping, rolling call mixing with the more familiar whistling of Guillemots. Four Manx Shearwaters and seven Common Scoters went north.

Patient scanning of the calm seas eventually paid off with a distant Minke Whale, which surfaced five or six times.

1. Spot the baby Ringed Plover
2&3. Seabird throngs

Attachments

• Ringed Plover_Girdle Ness_100818a.jpg
    Ringed Plover_Girdle Ness_100818a.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Seabirds_Girdle Ness_100818a.jpg
    Seabirds_Girdle Ness_100818a.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Seabirds_Girdle Ness_100818b.jpg
    Seabirds_Girdle Ness_100818b.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 48
Nothing overly exciting but l thought my local pair of House Martin's had moved south,as I'd not seen them for a few days but as l walked under the nest on Balnagask Road/Abbey Place just now,l was chuffed to see them feeding young.Their 3rd brood this Spring/Summer.

Nothing overly exciting but l thought my local pair of House Martin's had moved south,as I'd not seen them for a few days but as l walked under the nest on Balnagask Road/Abbey Place just now,l was chuffed to see them feeding young.Their 3rd brood this Spring/Summer.

Despite a late arrival my impression is that hirundines and Swifts have had a good breeding season locally. The Swifts seem to have more-or-less departed from Victoria Road now, although a few were still about earlier in the week.

I had my first look around the Nigg Bay area in a while. The vegetation was pretty tall there, no doubt concealing plenty of stuff. A juvenile Peregrine shot across the bay.

Elsewhere, a Bonxie was offshore and six juvenile Knot were in Greyhope Bay. Given the stiff northwesterly wind it wasn't surprising that the only landbird migrants were four White Wagtails feeding on the seaweed in Greyhope Bay. Nearby I had point-blank views of a Weasel along the path. 62 Goosander were in the harbour and the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser is also coming along in leaps and bounds:

Attachments

• Peregrine_Girdle Ness_250818a.jpg
    Peregrine_Girdle Ness_250818a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 50
I had some hopes there might be some interesting seawatching here this morning. 'Interesting' is probably stretching a point, but there were a few bits and pieces. At least four Bonxies were lingering offshore. 13 Teal and two Common Scoter went through and a couple of Arctic Terns were amongst the numerous Kittiwakes. There was no real concerted passage of stuff though.

Otherwise there were three Wheatears and a Dunlin.

Had an interesting wander around late afternoon today, in bright and breezy conditions. A pair of Wigeon were on Greyhope Bay and a Golden Plover was flying around in the same area. I had some frustration with a couple of smallish waders that whizzed past. I only got on to them for half a second but I'm 90% sure they were Wood Sandpipers. 10 Manx Shearwaters were offshore and a Teal was sitting quietly on the north shore. A Wheatear and a White Wagtail were also about. The Purple Sandpiper Totaliser is making solid progress:

Attachments

• Swallows_Girdle Ness_310818a.jpg
    Swallows_Girdle Ness_310818a.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Teal_Girdle Ness_310818a.jpg
    Teal_Girdle Ness_310818a.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 38
I had a reasonably good look around today. The Nigg Bay area in the morning was quite hard work with two Chiffchaffs and two Coal Tits about the only reward. There's probably tonnes of stuff hiding there though.

This afternoon I wandered around the Ness. Two Wheatears were near the Battery. Waders in Greyhope Bay included ten Knot, two Dunlin and a Whimbrel. A Little Gull was amongst the hundreds of Kittiwakes passing by close offshore and a Bonxie sauntered around the harbour mouth. Eleven Teal were seen, with six of them swimming amongst the seaweed on the north shore. The highlight was a Merlin, which was storming about the north side of the golf course below the Battery. It came within inches of a Meadow Pipit on a couple of occasions. Eventually it flew off southwards, seemingly carrying prey.

A similar routine today, with somewhat similar birds. I saw the Merlin again, this time in the morning and flying from Tullos Hill across to Torry. A Whimbrel flew in the opposite direction. A couple of Bullfinches were heard calling along the railway embankment, where a locally scarce (but maybe increasing?) Treecreeper showed very well.

An afternoon walk around the Ness turned up a Knot, a Dunlin, two Purple Sandpipers, a Wheatear, two Manx Shearwaters, an Arctic Skua, two Wigeon and 37 Teal. I again saw a Weasel in Greyhope Bay, this time trotting across the rocks and carrying a substantial looking vole.

Here's a picture of the Treecreeper, together with a 'late' record of a Wood Mouse from yesterday. Not sure I've seen a Wood Mouse here before.

Attachments

• Wood Mouse_Girdle Ness_010918a.jpg
    Wood Mouse_Girdle Ness_010918a.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Treecreeper_Girdle Ness_020918a.jpg
    Treecreeper_Girdle Ness_020918a.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 37
I got out late afternoon today in what I would describe as 'interesting' weather conditions. Despite this there didn't seem to be much happening with little in the way of obvious migration on land or sea. There were at least some good birds about though. For the third day on the bounce I saw the Merlin, this time briefly perched in Walker Park. A reasonable effort at seawatching only produced one each of Arctic Skua, Manx Shearwater and Arctic Tern and four Teal. The best bird on the sea was a juvenile Black Guillemot, just offshore below the Coo. It was the best view I've had of one here for a few years (it looked better in the scope than the record shot below). Waders included a Knot and 70 Turnstone. The Purple Sandpiper Totaliser is making inexorably steady progress:

Attachments

• Black Guillemot_Girdle Ness_030918a.jpg
    Black Guillemot_Girdle Ness_030918a.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 52
Nothing as Interesting as Andrew's reports but the Abbey Place/Balnagask Road House Martins 3rd brood,have now left the building.I for one,shall miss watching them. :-C

Spent a fair bit of time out today but things were mostly quiet. In the Nigg Bay area there was a Teal on the pools and two Water Rails were heard calling. I also heard a couple of Bullfinches again near the railway. Chiffchaff, Sedge Warbler and Willow Warbler were all seen. Probably the most notable sighting was a flock of 20 Tree Sparrows flying south.

Not too much was seen around the Ness in the crisp late afternoon light. A Knot was on the rocks and a Whitethroat was on the north bank.

A few more bits and pieces were around today. The best were two Light-bellied Brent Geese that came in from the north, circled the lighthouse and then decided to head back north. Two Whimbrel were on Greyhope Bay. Other waders included 80 Turnstone, a Dunlin and a Common Sandpiper. The Purple Sandpiper Totaliser is coming along nicely:

Like a great batsman playing himself in for a big innings. A Wheatear and four White Wagtails were also about.

Attachments

• Brent Goose_Girdle Ness_090918a.jpg
    Brent Goose_Girdle Ness_090918a.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_090918b.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_090918b.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_090918a.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_090918a.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 35
I thought I should add a few pictures to show what the Girdle Ness area looks like these days, which may be of interest to those of you who know the area historically.

1. The newly opened turbine array in Aberdeen Bay. The one that annoyed Trump. I have to agree with him in that it completely spoils the view of the moored oil supply ships.

2. The current state of the Nigg Bay harbour development. 'State' might be the right word at present.

3. Looking back from the railway bridge over the waterworks. Gives a bit of a sense of the 'forest', which is no doubt where most of the migrants are hiding.

4. The marsh near the Tullos Burn. A swamp that Trump hasn't managed to drain yet!

Attachments

• Wind turbines_Girdle Ness_090918a.jpg
    Wind turbines_Girdle Ness_090918a.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Nigg Bay_080918a.jpg
    Nigg Bay_080918a.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Nigg Bay_080918b.jpg
    Nigg Bay_080918b.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Nigg Bay_080918c.jpg
    Nigg Bay_080918c.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 57
I had a pleasant wander around the Nigg Bay area this morning, in rather calm conditions. Not too much was around, though there were two Chiffchaffs (one singing) and a Blackcap. A Siskin was heard calling and a Wheatear was on Tullos Hill. Overhead a small flock of 15 Pink-footed Geese went south.

I thought folks might like to see a few more pictures of the Nigg Bay marsh, including the increasingly luxuriant reedbed.

Attachments

• Girdle Ness_150918a.jpg
    Girdle Ness_150918a.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 32
  • Girdle Ness_150918b.jpg
    Girdle Ness_150918b.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Girdle Ness_150918c.jpg
    Girdle Ness_150918c.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 28
I had a wander around the Ness late afternoon today and, despite not really obviously good conditions, it was quite interesting. A White Wagtail was amongst the numerous Pieds on the golf course. A Wheatear and a Yellowhammer were near the Battery.

Out to sea there were various bits and pieces. A very distant Sooty Shearwater went north but probably the most notable bird was a drake Scaup going south quite close in. Also seen were two Bonxies, an Arctic Skua, 19 Pink-footed Geese and three Common Scoters.

Waders included a Bar-tailed Godwit on Greyhope Bay, along with two Knot and five Dunlin. Probably the most interesting bird was this tern, which was perched on the rocks in Greyhope Bay for a minute before flying off out to sea.

A Peregrine sauntered ominously around the harbour at dusk.

Here's another picture showing how things look around here these days. This is Walker Park near the lighthouse.

Attachments

• Girdle Ness_170918a.jpg
    Girdle Ness_170918a.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back