• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Fungus. (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
I photographed this Fungus yesterday growing at the base of a oaktree It was quite large as can be seen In the photo could anyone please let me know What Its common name Is or species Is.

Attachments

• PICT0386.jpg
    PICT0386.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 39
Unidentified Fungus

Hi Coaltit,

I think this is an old, bleached example of Laetiporus sulphureus Sulphur Polypore.

Cheers,
Nick
Hi Nick, I had a look on google and I was struggleing to find a match till I came back to my photo and for the first time I could see the Brackets as before they did,nt register with my eyes and all I could see was one Solid mass of fungi the ones I saw on google none showed this bleached effect and I must of seen a couple of hundred pictures, It looks almost like a toffee coloured Icecream or is that my Imagination |=)|The bleaching has certainly made a big difference to the plant, but my concern is more for the oaktree Can this fungi be removed safely away from the tree.

Laetipotus sulphureus causes brown cubical rot in the heartwood (mainly) that can significantly weaken the tree and potentially cause a brittle fracture at the point of rot - i.e. probably approximately at the level where the bracket emerged from the stem. If the oak is in a location accessible to the public or near a building, road, etc., I'd suggest an arboriculturalist is consulted.

Laetipotus sulphureus causes brown cubical rot in the heartwood (mainly) that can significantly weaken the tree and potentially cause a brittle fracture at the point of rot - i.e. probably approximately at the level where the bracket emerged from the stem. If the oak is in a location accessible to the public or near a building, road, etc., I'd suggest an arboriculturalist is consulted.
Hi foresttwitcher, I,ve made contact with the right people who can look into the care of this oaktree, I,ll give updates on the future of this tree as time goes by, Its a pity that fungi feed off live trees and can do so much damage Its just that part of nature you have to except.

That's good to hear. The fungus will have entered through a wound (either natural or man made) and is all part of the natural decay process that could eventually lead to a hollow veteran tree with canopy deadwood or a fallen rotting stem - all of which are vital for various organisms; its just that man and his infrastructure sometimes get in the way.

Hi Peter,

Thankyou for your reply and also I found your reply very Informative and nicely written to, all the best Coal Tit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back