• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference Between Leupold Bino's (1 Viewer)

Sitkaspruce

I have a great oppurtunity to purchase some Leupold Gold Ring Binos.
My questions are as follows:

What is the difference between the old Leupold Gold Ring 8x42 and the new HD Gold Rings.
Is the HD that much better? Is there other upgrades on the HD?
Do the old ones have index matched lens?
How do the HD compare to the big three?
What do you guys think of the Leupold Gold Rings in general?

I can get the old ones for around $450 and the new HD for around $850. Is there a $400 difference?

I know lots of questions....sorry

Thanks

Oh yea not worried about weight as I have a hand shake and the more weight helps steady the hand, hence the reason for 8 power as well

A few answers

Sitkaspruce,

Good questions. As the developer of both the original and the HD models when I was the product line manager for all binoculars and spotting scopes, as well as the birding market as a whole, for Leupold, I think I can help. (Full disclosure: I no longer work for Leupold in any capacity.)

What is the difference between the old Leupold Gold Ring 8x42 and the new HD Gold Rings.

The new models offer:
1. one calcium flourite objective lenses per channel
2. redesigned and more comfortable eyecups
3. more "Leupold" logo identity
4. a much improved neck strap
5. a much improved case
6. tethered objective covers
7. an easier to use one piece ocular lens cover

There is a visible improvement in the HD models over the original models. Is it worth the extra money? That is a matter of perception. Most people can see the difference. Only you can really say if it is worth the difference in price. I can say that there is next to no chromatic shift in the HD models (although the original models had very little chromatic shift themselves).

Indexed matched lenses have been part of the product feature list since the very first unit of the original model.

Due to the larger roof prism, I have long thought them to be highly competitive. The big three, the Leupold, the Kowa, and the Nikon for that matter are all essentially beyond the level of human perception in terms of quantifyable resolution and color differences. It really comes down to brand identity at this level: with which brand do you most want to be associated?

I have always thought them quite good but have also always wanted a Leica Ultravid 7x42mm as well.

I can get the old ones for around $450 and the new HD for around $850. Is there a $400 difference?

That goes back to question #2. How much better does a binocular need to be for the improvement to be worth $400.00? The original model at $450.00 is a steal and I wouldn't pass it up. The $850.00 for the HD is also a good price as I think they are now well above $1,200.00 at retail. Either is a good buy for the level of performance you'll get in return.

Please feel free to reply if I haven't answered everything sufficiently.

Sitkaspruce,

Good questions. As the developer of both the original and the HD models when I was the product line manager for all binoculars and spotting scopes, as well as the birding market as a whole, for Leupold, I think I can help. (Full disclosure: I no longer work for Leupold in any capacity.)

The new models offer:
5. a much improved case

There is a visible improvement in the HD models over the original models. Is it worth the extra money? That is a matter of perception. Most people can see the difference. Only you can really say if it is worth the difference in price. I can say that there is next to no chromatic shift in the HD models (although the original models had very little chromatic shift themselves).

Indexed matched lenses have been part of the product feature list since the very first unit of the original model.

Due to the larger roof prism, I have long thought them to be highly competitive. The big three, the Leupold, the Kowa, and the Nikon for that matter are all essentially beyond the level of human perception in terms of quantifyable resolution and color differences. It really comes down to brand identity at this level: with which brand do you most want to be associated?

I have always thought them quite good but have also always wanted a Leica Ultravid 7x42mm as well.

That goes back to question #2. How much better does a binocular need to be for the improvement to be worth $400.00? The original model at $450.00 is a steal and I wouldn't pass it up. The $850.00 for the HD is also a good price as I think they are now well above $1,200.00 at retail. Either is a good buy for the level of performance you'll get in return.

Please feel free to reply if I haven't answered everything sufficiently.

Does this mean that the HD models have 1 total flourite lens per channel
or 1 extra flourite lens per channel vs earlier model?

I have a non hd pair 8x42 that I rate up there with the best of them and will
someday compare them side by side with the HD.
Thanks

Lenses

truecolors,

They have one total HD lens per channel and it is one of the objective lenses in that lens grouping. Adding an extra lens in a channel would have required a complete redesign of the entire optical system.

truecolors,

They have one total HD lens per channel and it is one of the objective lenses in that lens grouping. Adding an extra lens in a channel would have required a complete redesign of the entire optical system.

thank you for the info John:

After comparing my golden rings with el's fl's and ultravids I can't see
how you could come up with a even better view that would be detectable
by the human eyes if they are working in stereoscoptic vision.

Sitkaspruce,

The new models offer:
5. a much improved case

QUOTE]

Unfortunately, according to a friendly and helpful Loopy technician, the redesigned and more comfortable eyecups of the HD models apply only to the 42mm versions and did not make their way to the 32mm Golden Rings. As best I can tell, the 32mm eyecups were designed primarily to fit the eye sockets of a Cro-Magnon man, although the bins are still optically and mechanically superlative. For my money, the other non-optical "improvements" are marginal.

Last edited:
John,

Well, I for one think you did a whale of a job with the GR bnoculars. I always thought the original GR was as good as anything I'd looked at and was somewhat skeptical about any improvements that might be seen from the HD glass. Yesterday, I finally found a new HD model at a dealer. This is, IMO, has the single highest quality optics of any glass I have ever had to my eyes. The Euro glasses just went OFF of any wish list I had. They focused , for me from about 20 ft or so all the way out to infinity, the closest thing to a real focus free glass I've ever seen.

Three questions. One, is the objective air spaced? Two, is there any significance to the superficial similarity to the GR and the Kowa Genesis? They look like the same binocular with diferent armor. Three, Leupold has always advertised made in USA. However, I suspect they are at most "assembled in the USA". Could you please comment on that?

John,

Well, I for one think you did a whale of a job with the GR bnoculars. I always thought the original GR was as good as anything I'd looked at and was somewhat skeptical about any improvements that might be seen from the HD glass. Yesterday, I finally found a new HD model at a dealer. This is, IMO, has the single highest quality optics of any glass I have ever had to my eyes. The Euro glasses just went OFF of any wish list I had. They focused , for me from about 20 ft or so all the way out to infinity, the closest thing to a real focus free glass I've ever seen.

Three questions. One, is the objective air spaced? Two, is there any significance to the superficial similarity to the GR and the Kowa Genesis? They look like the same binocular with diferent armor. Three, Leupold has always advertised made in USA. However, I suspect they are at most "assembled in the USA". Could you please comment on that?

is their a retail store near Red Bluff that stocks the HD models ? thanks

Truecolors,
The dealer that had the binocular I looked at was Huntington Sportsman's Supplies located at 601 Oro Dam Blvd E, Oroville, Ca. They had one each, Original GR and one HD in 10x42. I think a fellow that was there probably bought the HD. The clerk wa sort of surprised to find an non HD, he thought they had sold them all.

Steve

Truecolors,
The dealer that had the binocular I looked at was Huntington Sportsman's Supplies located at 601 Oro Dam Blvd E, Oroville, Ca. They had one each, Original GR and one HD in 10x42. I think a fellow that was there probably bought the HD. The clerk wa sort of surprised to find an non HD, he thought they had sold them all.

Steve
thanks Steve

I was at their store 2 weeks ago and they only had originals

I just called them and they only have a pair with a serial #
that ends in n. which would be a 2005 model.

they said that some one bought a pair on saturday but
he couldn't be sure as to what pair.

well I guess I will keep looking for a pair.

the pair I have now are 8x42 with the same specs
as the ultravids except the weight. this is printed
right on the box that they came in.

were the eye cups different on the HD model ?

thanks again

Last edited:
Truecolors,

The eyecups are supposed to be different on the HD. I didn't pay any attention to them because I don't wear glasses when using binoculars, so if the eyecup are set at the proper distance , I almost never have any eyecup issues. As I mentioned, there was a fellow there at the same time I was there and he evidently did buy the HD.

Maybe the specs are the same as the Ultravid, but the glass and coatings are likely very different. Don't assume them to be the same on that basis. Look at both before you decide. I liked the HD, you might like the Ultravid. How do you asses your original GR?

You might try Eagle Optics. You can return as new purchases within 30 days. They ar petty easy to work with. Camera Land New York and SWFA are other possibilities. That can be a pain, but so is the effort that can go into finding a local dealer that actually carries a brand and model you want to look at.

Steve

Last edited:
Truecolors,

How do you asses your original GR?

Steve

at this point in time I have been comparing them with all of
the other top brands and so far have returned the others
for a refund. they all are very good 8x42 geovids,8x56 geovids
8x42 ultravids at sportsmans warehouse with the optics manager
who also agreed that the gold rings were as good as the rest.
we also brought out 8x42 fl's and el's from swaro.we took them
out of the store at 8.15 pm after sundown and again a few days
later during the day. I payed 600 for these golden rings on ebay
unopened and can't justify the prices from others as of yet.

marketing hype is like diamonds. you pay for something that the
human eye is not able too detect 99% of the time

thanks again Steve

Truecolors,

Where is the Sportsman's Warehouse you used?

I agree with your assessment of the original GR. I have had some field comparison experience with the initial GR against Swaro EL and Leica Trinovid. That caused one prospective customer to head for the dealer and buy a GR. His buddy had convinced him that the EL was the best thing going. The several pairs of eyes present all (inculding a dejected EL owner) thought otherwise. So the Lepold has been on my radar ever since. Especially since Leupold has long been known for tough as nails and top end customer service. That appeals as much as the optics.

I wonder if Sitkaspruce would care to make it known where he can get those prices and if the $$ are canadian. Just now noticed his quoted prices.

Steve

Truecolors,

Where is the Sportsman's Warehouse you used?

I agree with your assessment of the original GR. I have had some field comparison experience with the initial GR against Swaro EL and Leica Trinovid. That caused one prospective customer to head for the dealer and buy a GR. His buddy had convinced him that the EL was the best thing going. The several pairs of eyes present all (inculding a dejected EL owner) thought otherwise. So the Lepold has been on my radar ever since. Especially since Leupold has long been known for tough as nails and top end customer service. That appeals as much as the optics.

I wonder if Sitkaspruce would care to make it known where he can get those prices and if the $$ are canadian. Just now noticed his quoted prices.

Steve

sportsman warehouse is in rocklin off of 65 about 8 miles below
lincoln. they opened in dec 2006. its funny that they carry all
kinds of top end brands including the full line of windrivers but
they claim upper management won't allow them to carry any gold
rings. I guess this is a way for them to market the high dollar imports
with out something of lesser price to compare. they are a full line
zeiss-leica-nikon and many others.

My personal opinion is that the GR and Zeiss fl's were the best 2 that
I have seen so far.

last week when I was down their they had leica 10x42 ultravids
in black only marked down to 1425.00.

A friend of mine has a pair of 10x25 golden rings from late 1980 t0
early 1990s that were made in Portugal.

John,

Thanks Steve.

If I recall correctly there was an airspace between the CaF2 objective lens and the objective doublet lens. However I have not been in charge of the product for almost eight months now so it may have changed.

Made in the U.S.A.? Well, I always assume that products that have "Made in the U.S.A." printed somewhere on them are. The laws are pretty strict on this so if something is not then it can't carry this designation.

It is interesting how similar the Kowa Genesis and the Golden Ring look in relation to one another, isn't it? I would think that is indeed significant.

Sitkaspruce,

As the developer of both the original and the HD models when I was the product line manager for all binoculars and spotting scopes, as well as the birding market as a whole, for Leupold, I think I can help. (Full disclosure: I no longer work for Leupold in any capacity.)

John,

This is probably unfair but since you are a unique source of information I can't resist asking: What was the design theory for the original Golden Ring non-HD eyecups (which are, for want of a better word, huge) and why weren't the improvements to the eyecups for the 42mm HD series carried over for the 32mm models? Many thanks - Tom

John,

This is probably unfair but since you are a unique source of information I can't resist asking: What was the design theory for the original Golden Ring non-HD eyecups (which are, for want of a better word, huge) and why weren't the improvements to the eyecups for the 42mm HD series carried over for the 32mm models? Many thanks - Tom

The original eyecups (the ones with the high outer edges and the concave top surface) were painful to use by those with a wide nose bridge and close IPD. The modification was made to round out the top to make them more comfortable for those not wearing eyeglases and friendly to the those wearing eyeglasses by keeping the rim edge low to the surface of the ocular lenses.

All HD models were scheduled to get the new eyecup models. Due to inventory cycling, quite a few old models are probably still out there. It is also possible that the company went back to the original model eyecup after I left.

Chartwell,

Since the similarity between Leupold GR and Kowa Genesis binoculars has been noted in this thread, maybe you ought to take a look at the equipment review section of this forum. Renze DeVreiss has posted a review there of the Kowa. He had the same eyecup complaint you do. He outlined his fix there. Maybe this would also work with Leupold and be satisfactory to you.

Steve

Leupold Cost

Steve

The cost I have quoted is direct from Leupold. I am a hunting guide and most companies offer guide/outfitters optics at cost or cost + 10%. The old GR, they just want to get rid of them so they are at a clearance price. If you know anybody who is a firearms/hunter Ed instuctor in Oregon, they get the same price as I was offered. Leupold might even offer the same deal to other Hunter ed instuctors in other states. Check it out.

I have ordered the 8x42 HD and they should be here in the middle of September. I will post a report when the season is done and they gone through the rigors that other have been through (and some have failed ie one of the big three).

Thanks for all the input here, very good discussion.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back