• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 (1 Viewer)

You may have picked their weak point, but it isn't horrible, either. They are such a fine glass I've found this one less than perfect aspect very forgivable.

This review points out some of the 8x30's problems with stray light.

http://forrest143.blog.163.com/blog/static/3442440620135853755717/

You need to run it through Google trans or some such, and make some guesses as to the actual meaning but you will get the gist of it.

Personally, I think this guys reviews are the best on the net - he finds something wrong with everything! He even skewers some of the top guns, and some revered classics. I find most of the other on-line reviewers to be too non-committal, as if afraid to upset a manufacturer.

Apparently, he works in the optics industry - and designed a compact binocular as well as ensuring QA, so as qualified to speak on these issues as anyone. You will find hours of fun there if you decide to read through all of his reviews.

Last edited:
This review points out some of the 8x30's problems with stray light.

http://forrest143.blog.163.com/blog/static/3442440620135853755717/

You need to run it through Google trans or some such, and make some guesses as to the actual meaning but you will get the gist of it.

Personally, I think this guys reviews are the best on the net - he finds something wrong with everything! He even skewers some of the top guns, and some revered classics. I find most of the other on-line reviewers to be too non-committal, as if afraid to upset a manufacturer.

Apparently, he works in the optics industry - and designed a compact binocular as well as ensuring QA, so as qualified to speak on these issues as anyone. You will find hours of fun there if you decide to read through all of his reviews.

James:

Good of you to post this link. I have seen it mentioned here sometime
in the past few months, as I recall reading this review or one similar.

I enjoy the translation, referring to - "sea cabbage, lettuce, and kale".
and refers to a green background in the view. A solid color reference,
I assume, ;).

I would like to see more reviews from this reviewer, and if there is
a web link, that may be more useful than a single blog post.

If you have a website to see more of these, that would be appreciated.

Jerry

I think it was Sancho that explained the pronunciation of sea-cabbage in Chinese approximates to Swarovski or something like that?

Those comments on stay light and colour tally very well with my impressions.

David

I think it was Sancho that explained the pronunciation of sea-cabbage in Chinese approximates to Swarovski or something like that?

Those comments on stay light and colour tally very well with my impressions.

David

Wow. Can't believe I've completely forgotten reading that review some time ago. Thanks David.

James:

Good of you to post this link. I have seen it mentioned here sometime
in the past few months, as I recall reading this review or one similar.

I enjoy the translation, referring to - "sea cabbage, lettuce, and kale".
and refers to a green background in the view. A solid color reference,
I assume, ;).

I would like to see more reviews from this reviewer, and if there is
a web link, that may be more useful than a single blog post.

If you have a website to see more of these, that would be appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry,

From that link, go to the top of the screen and click ''home''. From there, you will find a link to binocular reviews - I think there are something like 70 reviews. You might need to do some searching as the site isn't straightforward.

Sancho - had the 8x30 for quite a while. Excellent binocular. I remember doing a comparison on glare with a number of other binoculars. The SE 8x32 handled it a little bit better, but then the SE is among the best. A friend talked me out of the Habicht several years ago. I wouldn't feel deprived if that was the only binocular I could own.
John

The eye relief is short but I find it to be just enough. I really enjoy this binocular for it's quality of view, quality of construction and retro style. It is compact and practical and a delight to use. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back