• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Camcorder? (1 Viewer)

crowman

Hello all, sorry if I'm repeating anyone else but am new to this game and am struggling amongst the threads already posted as to whether they answer my question or not. Anyway, here goes
I am a new birder so I find video-ing what I see then replaying with a bird guide book back at home a great way to get to know what's what. I have a question, as my video camera needs replacing can anyone recommend a new one. I am not after awards, just good enough for ID and decent home movie type stuff. I found the 25X zoom and steady shoot on the old Sony Digi8 good enough (especially on a tripod) but slow start up time a pain.
After reading through various threads I see digiscoping is possible too so any ideas what to get.

I'm also relatively new and am a long way from digiscoping. I have a SONY TRV33E, which has been a great general video camera, but I also use it in the way you describe. It's a few years old now (just less than £500 when new), so there are more recent models in the same range. Despite the zoom being less than similarly-priced models from other brands, the Carl Zeiss lens is probably good enough to handle add-on lenses and scopes, better than the cheaper options.

Sometimes I take my tripod, but the Super SteadyShot does wonders if I leave it behind.

Last edited:
ukbenny said:
I'm also relatively new and am a long way from digiscoping. I have a SONY TRV33E, which has been a great general video camera, but I also use it in the way you describe. It's a few years old now (just less than £500 when new), so there are more recent models in the same range. Despite the zoom being less than similarly-priced models from other brands, the Carl Zeiss lens is probably good enough to handle add-on lenses and scopes, better than the cheaper options.

Sometimes I take my tripod, but the Super SteadyShot does wonders if I leave it behind.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry its taken so long to respond but couldn't find my original message amongst the many! My camcorder has finally packed up so am now forced into a quick decision. Will bear your advice in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back