• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap fat ball advice (1 Viewer)

Fnagwaa

I usually spend £30-40 per month on bird food but finances have been a bit tough recently so I am trying to make some cuts so I've purchased a tub of 150 fat balls made by Dawn Chorus which were only £10. They look a bit dry and have a strong smell to them but the birds seem to absolutely love them, eating 6 in the first day!

My question is does anyone know anything about these fat balls? Are they likely to be harmful in any way or are they non nutritious? Any feedback would be good as I have heard rumours about glues and sawdust being put into fatballs but surely a UK product would have to pass quality control checks?

Try eating the cheapest "economy" pot noodles for one month and see how you feel.
No doubt to reduce costs and increase profits, a manufacturer would not use the best quality materials, processes and cut corners wherever possible. The positive in this scenario is the birds are feeding, if they leave the meatballs to go mouldy then perhaps reconsider.

Mostly what eats mine are Magpies and Jackdaws. I go for the really cheap ones at £3.99 for 50 from pets at home. I ration them to 6 A day and they're always gone by morning.

Mostly what eats mine are Magpies and Jackdaws. I go for the really cheap ones at £3.99 for 50 from pets at home. I ration them to 6 A day and they're always gone by morning.

Thanks for the reply, I bought mine from Pets at Home so I reckon they're the same as they did a 50 tub too.

The original question is: "My question is does anyone know anything about these fat balls? Are they likely to be harmful in any way or are they non nutritious?!" I'd like to know the answer as well, but above contributions haven't answered the question. Coming with a label from a well-known brand, and/or costing more than average, doesn't necessarily mean it is any better than a cheaper product from an unknown manufacturer [see the Which test of bird food published not long ago]. And does 'better' [i.e more nutritious, unadulterated] food mean more popularity with birds? Can we trust birds to know what is best for them? [in which case they would be more clever than human sapiens].
So, are there any brands out there that 1. provide a complete list of ingredients of contents for their products which have also proven to 2. be popular with birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back