• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the help Den. You are clearly taking some good pictures with the camera. I have two questions though:

Have you got some photos taken at full zoom?
How good is close focussing whilst using zoom?

Thanks,
Louis

Edit - At full zoom, the close focus is apparently 7m, have you got any photos taken at full zoom on a subject 7m away?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Are people shooting in RAW or JPEG?. I would not consider a JPEG only camera.

AS for the size - fine. My current birding rig is 7dii with grip and 100 - 400 lens, so size doesn't bother me

Thanks for the photos, they definitely help and your photos make the camera more tempting everytime. The detail on the pig at is stunning, not something I would expect at full zoom and with the camera handheld!

Thanks once again,
Louis

Anyone shooting RAW here or are these JPEGS? I am aware that when using Bird mode on the P1000, the camera will only shoot JPEG.

All my shots are JPEG, rarely need to "fix" any shots, but I only view them on a pc or print up to A4. There is a sometimes useful in camera fix if a bit underexposed, and of course you can crop in camera.

I know I have said this before, but you can't really compare the 1000 with any other camera, and it should only be looked at on its own merits, and to be honest, I've not found it wanting in any situation, even BIF if you get familiar with getting "on the bird". The snap back function can assist here but there is a delay as the zoom returns after finding the bird, I set mine on the shortest setting and sometimes get a reasonable shot. Personally not a lover of flinging the camera about trying to get a small BIF, but setting at 1/1000 in shutter priority I have had a degree of success as a bird takes off.

Used as a scope it outperforms most binoculars especially when you reach out 100mtrs or more. it becomes quite normal to be viewing small birds at 50mtrs and almost filling the frame and getting a nice shot.

Den

A good review here

This does detail that the P1000 will only take seven shots before the buffer is full and become unresponsive, Snapchick says this taught her to anticipate before pressing the shutter button for a burst (aka spray and pray)

Also, this is the first review I've seen to cover the camera's macro capablities. For me, this comes down to "filling the frame" as well as distant shots. I've taken many a picture with the 7d2 and 100 - 400 lens, will obvoiusly be better than a bridge camera, but the Marsh Harrier about 1/4 mile away, all the shots more at home in the "identify the bird" thread. So, I hope around 1800mm a lightly cropped P1000 image will be better than a heavily cropped 640mm 7d2. There is also the issue of a wild bird's circle of fear, get too close, and off it goes

The camera has also been reviewed in Camercraft, the inhouse publication of the Guild of Photographers. There are indeed quality issues at extreme zoom, but this shows how far digital camera technology has advanced in that 10 years ago, the same issues were apparent in top of the range DSLR's, and 20 years ago the digital camera was seen as a novelty, 35mm film for the serious photographer

cost. The camera has reduced in price to about £900, and I've seen a few second hand

Last edited:
A pretty good review, but why no mention of the super easy accurate manual function? In a later review maybe? Just done some tests using just JPEG and the buffer time is about 3 secs after a burst of 7. I don't use Raw and certainly don't use Raw and JPEG together.

I would have liked to see more "direct" comparisons (just out of interest)

Den

This photo from Nikon's website re the P1000

Hi bud,just a word of caution.I don't know how important iq is to you but your current rig,ie the canon,is capable of much higher iq than the p1000,it will also be better in low light,will focus better and will be much better on fast moving subjects.I have a p900 and its capable of great bird shots but i am now returning to an slr as the limitations of a bridge camera have become all too apparent.
Thats not to say the big nikons aren't any good.......they can produce great images but ultimately an slr will give you the edge.

Nice.

This one is handheld at iso 640.....down to 4.4 megapixels due to heavy cropping.D7200.......200-500 lens.......just to back up what i'm talking about.

Attachments

• DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0163.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back