• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boycott Malta (1 Viewer)

This has been going on for years. I don't understand how the gutless EU allows Malta to be part of the EU when it's own Government doesn't lift a finger to enforce the EU's rules on shooting wild birds. Let's face it - the Maltese will shoot anything that moves in the skies above Malta knowing that no-one will do anything about it. I've written to the Maltese government a few times over the years, and responded to some of the petitions - none of which has achieved anything as far as I can see.

Just a query - why should one boycott Malta, when it is no worse than Britain? Or do you boycott Britain as well?

The Maltese birders would much rather people visited Malta and joined in one of the anti-hunting observation patrols - I would if I could afford it.

Just a query - why should one boycott Malta, when it is no worse than Britain? Or do you boycott Britain as well?

The Maltese birders would much rather people visited Malta and joined in one of the anti-hunting observation patrols - I would if I could afford it.

Actually its much worse than Britain. In Britain it's not usual for hunters to come onto reserves to shoot protected birds, or for shooting tours to take boats to the foot of Bempton Cliffs and open up with the ol' pump-action.

I haven't the time and money to spend on anti-hunting patrols (and maybe not the nerve either, tbh) but I can refuse to fuel the Maltese economy until they stop, keep writing to their Government to remind them they are missing out, and keep encouraging others to holiday elsewhere.

John

I've known people who have taken ALL the Maltese holiday brochures out of travel agents, and chuck them in the (recycling) bin. Good for them I say.

Are you for real................

John,
Whilst Malta has a dreadful record for blasting anything that flies, other countries within the EU also have poor records regarding shooting, trapping and exploitation of wild birds. It can be difficult where to draw a line if you enjoy travelling abroad. Also political pressure as we know gets "sidelined" for many, many reasons. Is our Royal Navy and US Navy amongst others that frequently call into Malta due to it's very strategic positioning in the Med?
All corrupt at Government level for me, so tied hands. Similar with Cyprus, and no doubt other states - despite education there are hard core morons protected by " history and tradition" ..... all rowlocks to me.

So your argument is basically that we have no right to criticise the Maltese government, and should do nothing to help reduce the slaughter of migratory birds over Malta until wildlife crime in the UK is reduced to zero? That has to be one of the most insane examples of fallacious moral equivalence I have ever read.

You do realise that you are playing the useful idiot here? That people like you provide a great propaganda weapon for hunters who literally use birds for target practice. Perhaps if you removed the giant anti-Britain stick from your fundament, you might be able to think more clearly.

Come on lads, leave Nutty alone he's not anti UK for heaven's sake.

I'd like to know what % of Malta's potential tourists avoid Malta because of the illegal shootings? I fear that there would not be enough to make much of a dent in visitor numbers, I do however believe that the UK and the EU should put continued heavy pressure on the Maltese Govt. I'm all for raptor protection camps in these black-spots but surely pressure from other government could actually bring substantial change. I get the feeling that the idiot criminal shooters just see raptor camps as part of the war in a way and though the volunteers are doing an admirable job and making some difference, not so much will change. Until Maltese authorities have a permanent crack down on what is a small island and fine and even give prison sentences to the worst offenders, not much will change I reckon.

Apart being a destination for sunshine "on the Med", Malta's great attractions are human features; especially historical ones, so birders have little expression there. I'm not saying that birder's voices are worthless, at all - but its got to be tackled from inside under EU law by the Maltese themselves.

So your argument is basically that we have no right to criticise the Maltese government, and should do nothing to help reduce the slaughter of migratory birds over Malta until wildlife crime in the UK is reduced to zero? That has to be one of the most insane examples of fallacious moral equivalence I have ever read.

You do realise that you are playing the useful idiot here? That people like you provide a great propaganda weapon for hunters who literally use birds for target practice. Perhaps if you removed the giant anti-Britain stick from your fundament, you might be able to think more clearly.

Hear, hear,
I think Birdforum should ban political statements in avatars and have said so previously.

Hear, hear,
I think Birdforum should ban political statements in avatars and have said so previously.

Birdforum does, and Nutcracker knows it (a previous political signature of his was removed), but he chooses to ignore this rule. Also think he should abide by forum rules.

As for his comment that Britain is as bad as Malta, I presume he does not follow the reality on Malta very closely.

Nonsense. That's not what I said at all. Read the second part of my post.

Come on lads, leave Nutty alone he's not anti UK for heaven's sake.

I'd like to know what % of Malta's potential tourists avoid Malta because of the illegal shootings? I fear that there would not be enough to make much of a dent in visitor numbers, I do however believe that the UK and the EU should put continued heavy pressure on the Maltese Govt. I'm all for raptor protection camps in these black-spots but surely pressure from other government could actually bring substantial change. I get the feeling that the idiot criminal shooters just see raptor camps as part of the war in a way and though the volunteers are doing an admirable job and making some difference, not so much will change. Until Maltese authorities have a permanent crack down on what is a small island and fine and even give prison sentences to the worst offenders, not much will change I reckon.

Apart being a destination for sunshine "on the Med", Malta's great attractions are human features; especially historical ones, so birders have little expression there. I'm not saying that birder's voices are worthless, at all - but its got to be tackled from inside under EU law by the Maltese themselves.

I think there should be wider publicity given to the indescriminate shooting with a view to a wider embargo on travel. Hitting the Maltese economy through tourism is the only way this will change, there is zero will in local government to act on this, you must have been aware of Chris Packhams travaills in regard to this?

I live on a small island with a relatively important tourism sector. Our government is very sensitive to negative publicity from the outside the island. Hotels are expensive businesses and tend to be owned by wealthy families who are well-connected and often have disproportionately powerful influence in a small self-governing community. I can say as a matter of fact that if Jersey had a similar issue to the migrant bird slaughter in Malta, and there was a widespread and well-supported campaign to boycott visiting the island, to the extent that hoteliers started to see their revenue affected, there would be a great deal of pressure to change.

One potential area to target might be to Easyjet. I believe they moved their fleet maintenance contracts to Malta in 2017. I'm sure somebody who was clever with graphic design could make a nice poster of a series of bloodied Easyjet aircraft lying in a row on the ground with a smirking Maltese hunter standing behind them, and the tagline "A single to Malta, please".

IMHO Nutty makes a valid point, albeit somewhat overstated; the most pessimistic view of bird crime in Britain appears to pale into insignificance compared to what goes on in Malta. But we are throwing stones from glass houses here - until Britain cleans up its own act with respect to raptor persecution, its ability to criticize others is hampered somewhat.
I know southern European countries in particular have some bird killing 'traditions' we find distasteful, but my impression is that countries like Spain and maybe even France have made big strides with reducing raptor persecution, including actually implementing some big fines / imprisonment (in Spain, I recall?) for lawbreakers. In contrast, Britain, although starting from a much more enlightened base, seems to have stood still since the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, reluctant to upset the landed gentry by jailing their servants (or, perish the thought, them!).
As far as Malta goes, suffice to say its not on my bucket list, and I'd be more than happy to contribute to any organised boycott targeting the generally nature-loving northern European tourist market. Would be interesting to know what Maltese conservationists thought though, I expect they'd welcome some moral support from visiting birders?
Whatever your opinions on the EU in relation to Britain, if anything I think this is an argument for greater integration of nature laws, with less powers of derogation for individual member states. It really shouldn't be France's decision that its OK to hunt curlews, or Malta's that its OK to hunt turtle doves. Maybe once the pesky Brits have finally left it is something which the remaining members can turn their minds to.

Comparing the UK to Malta is a nonsense and it's attitudes such as this, that allow the likes of Malta to continue the slaughter.

Keep banging the EU drum, the sound is growing fainter, they've never done anything meaningful to stop this these activities.

Would be interesting to know what Maltese conservationists thought though, I expect they'd welcome some moral support from visiting birders?

Yes they certainly welcome support. There are some really good folk on Malta doing what they can. I will probably be going to Malta at some point in the future not really because of birding but because my partner is a historian and is writing a book, which includes much about Malta's heritage.

To see what Maltese conservationists do, the Birdlife page has a lot worth reading. I believe that education, especially in schools is the key to the demise of the illegal and "semi-illegal" hunting/capturing problems:

https://birdlifemalta.org/us/

I spent 2 weeks with Birdlife Malta in 2012 helping record illegal hunting.
It is a beautiful place and a brilliant birders destination during migration for so many species.

The hunting however is appalling. They shoot not just raptors but anything that moves. Whilst there Golden Oriole, Swallow,
Night Heron, Bee Water and more were seen shot. It's very upsetting to see.

The hunters have support in high up places and it seems nothing has changed in the last 7 years despite the sterling efforts of Birdlife Malta.

Education of next generations is the only long term answer but it may be too late I fear.

On a happier note I've just spent 4 days in Adamuz near Córdoba Spain watching Golden, Imperial (my first), Bonelli Eagles and Griffon and Black Vultures where they love their birds of prey and all from 30 feet and less. Amazing.

It makes the shooting in Malta all the more sad

I spent 2 weeks with Birdlife Malta in 2012 helping record illegal hunting.
It is a beautiful place and a brilliant birders destination during migration for so many species.

The hunting however is appalling. They shoot not just raptors but anything that moves. Whilst there Golden Oriole, Swallow,
Night Heron, Bee Water and more were seen shot. It's very upsetting to see.

The hunters have support in high up places and it seems nothing has changed in the last 7 years despite the sterling efforts of Birdlife Malta.

Education of next generations is the only long term answer but it may be too late I fear.

On a happier note I've just spent 4 days in Adamuz near Córdoba Spain watching Golden, Imperial (my first), Bonelli Eagles and Griffon and Black Vultures where they love their birds of prey and all from 30 feet and less. Amazing.

It makes the shooting in Malta all the more sad

For those trying to gloss over or dismiss the problems by aiming criticism at the UK, this is the horrific reality and only a financial hit to the tourist sector is going to stop this IMO. Whilst there are issues in the UK, comparing what goes on in Malta to what happens in the UK is quite frankly ridiculous.

In reality though, whilst people are happy to go for whatever reason, the slaughter goes on unabated. However good a birding destination it is, they won't get a penny from me until things change so joy your blinkered visit those who choose to go.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back