• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

monarch 7 or compact binoculars which (1 Viewer)

hello anyone know these & their relative comparative merits or which one to buy
nikon hg l dcf or monarch 7 or zeiss terra or stryka 7 or used swarovski companion

Last edited by a moderator:
nikon hg l dcf or monarch 7 or zeiss terra or stryka 7 or used swarovsky companion

I have never tried the Monarch HG but I can tell you that the Monarch 7 8x42 are really good for the price.

I was also wondering if it's worth paying more for the MHG vs the M7. Here in Canada you can buy the Monarch 7 8x42 for $600 and the best price that I have seen for the HG 8x42 is $1350.

I've recently bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and they are brilliant, highly recommended.
£256 from Jessops. In comparison to my Vortex Razors I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.
They are pin sharp, good contrast and a wide field of view.

nikon hg l dcf or monarch 7 or zeiss terra or stryka 7 or used swarovsky companion

If you're talking about Nikon's top model before the EDG, which I think you are, the HG L DCF. I wouldn't hesitate to get my hands on one if I could.
I had the Monarch 7 in 8x30 and couldn't stand the glare.
Zeiss Terra are another Chinese option that isn't worth the coin apart from the 8x25 (made in Japan), by most reports. The Victory 8x25 is excellent but expensive (also made in Japan).
Never heard of the Stryka.
Would happily skip the Companion depending.
So if the HG L is on the cards that'd be my choice from the bunch by far (8x32 or 42). It's a premium bit of gear with positive comparison to the EDG which I have and is my favourite glass.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If at all possible,
go to a store that has a good selection of binoculars
and try all out, see which ones you like.
We can tell you which ones we like, but
it comes down to your personal preference.
and
your planned use-which is what?

edj

It is best to try them yourself but IMO I prefer the Nikon MHG or the HG L over the other binoculars you were considering like the M7 depending on how much the price difference is. In the US sometimes you can get the Nikon MHG for as low as $650.00 on sale and you can always get them for $750.00 on Ebay from Japan so that is a consideration. I don't think I would pay your Canadian price of $1350.00 for the MHG though. At that price I would start looking at used alpha's like maybe a Nikon EDG from Japan. Then you have one of the best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NIKON-...922534&hash=item1a3f228a2e:g:ZVUAAOSwKQ9aEWg1

Last edited:
Hi,

regarding a 10x30 pair, I would recommend that you try one in person if you haven't already. The format is not everybodies cup of tea with the small exit pupil (and thus less light and difficult eye placement), smaller true field and more difficult to hold steady.

I personally use a 10x42 only when I know that I will be only looking for distant stuff.

As for the models mentioned, the HGL as a former alpha is certainly the best one, but not very small and light for a32mm pair. It is also strongly recommended for use with glasses.

The Swaro is not bad (as it should be regarding the price) but there was a quite improved new model a few years ago...

Nikon M7 8x30 is the standard answer for low price compact and does a lot of things right (except for glare control and only average eye relief for use with glasses). Not sure about the 10x30 due to less popularity...

The Zeiss Terras are so-so, except for the 25mm pocket models which are decent in their class.

Don't know the Styrka.

Joachim

Since you are across the pond I would add the Opticron Traveller to your list. My wife has a pair of 8x32s that she loves. They also have a 10x32 model that you could try. As for the others the M7 had the worst glare of any bino I’ve owned and the Styrka, in 10x42, the worst CA. They made a dove look positively electrified!

thanks to everyone for their kind help I think i'm looking for a 10x pair & if anyone else has an imput please let me know, all the best ~S

Pain,

You are getting lots of excellent advice on this and your other thread re specifically the various Monarch versions. Generally speaking if you want a 30/32 IMO you should go for an 8x as opposed to 10x unless you are willing to move up to the alpha level. I agree with Dennis and F88, a used (or sale priced) EDG in 8 or especially 10x32 would be an excellent option budget permitting. The short version is in the mid price range at least an 8x 30/32 will be noticeably better optically and a more versatile all around bin than a 10.

Hope this helps.

Mike

hiya

a step to the side has anyone compared the trinovid with the monarch hg / l ?
cheers ~S

No, but here's the thing. In that price bracket we have the Trinovid HD, Monarch HG and Conquest HD. Where I'm from they are all basically the same price.
The Trinovid HD would be the last pick, honestly with the other two choices I wouldn't even consider it. A bit of a toss up between the Nikon and the Zeiss.
It looks like you're still mixing up the names of the Nikons too, it's a Monarch HG not HG L as that's an entirely different model and not from the Monarch line. For ease of description the Monarch goes by MHG and the HG or HG L as simply that.
Back to the crux, I think many would agree that the MHG is the better buy over the Trinovid HD and that the Zeiss Conquest HD is a good choice also.

Nikon

Pain,

Pics of the HG 10X32 prior to the HG L, on the left, the early HG and HG L are essentially the same glass, these were made in 2002-2004 and the later model the Monarch HG, 8 and 10X42 shown.

Andy W.

Attachments

• hg 10X32.jpg
    hg 10X32.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 32
  • HG10&8X42.jpg
    HG10&8X42.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 56
Pain,

Pics of the HG 10X32 prior to the HG L, on the left, the early HG and HG L are essentially the same glass, these were made in 2002-2004 and the later model the Monarch HG, 8 and 10X42 shown.

Andy W.

Man, those early HG and HG L (sometimes designated LX-L) sure were sweet. I miss my 10x42's. If they had a tripod adapter thread, I never would have sold them.

Hg

Justabirdwatcher,

You mean the later version of these, which were much lighter. These are about as heavy as some 10X50s.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF2429.jpg
    DSCF2429.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back