• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hearing aids for hearing bird calls (1 Viewer)

miketaylor

Hi all,

I'd like to find out about people's experience with the use of hearing aids to help hear high pitched bird calls.

In recent years I've noticed that I can no longer hear some higher pitched bird calls, e.g. Redwings' 'seep' calls when flying overhead, and I can't hear crickets any more (in the UK). I'm aware that hearing at higher frequencies can deteriorate as one gets older, but it's a bit frustrating as I used to be much sharper at detecting birds on call than by sight (e.g. detecting a Red-throated Pipit on Scilly by its call and then seeing it drop into a field).

I got my hearing checked out by the NHS and found out that I had "mild to moderate" hearing loss above 5kHz, and "borderline" hearing loss in the normal speech range. They said I may benefit from hearing aids, so they gave me Oticon Synergy Sense BTE digital hearing aids. I'm told that these are very good, especially as they are free, but I keep wondering about the top of the range hearing aids, which could cost up to £5k for a pair. They have improved my hearing, but I still find problems hearing bird calls. I think the cutoff frequency is a bit higher, but now some of the calls sound a bit different from before (i.e. I'm now hearing the lower frequency part of the call, rather than not hearing it at all before).

I'm sure many other birders must have similar issues - especially as most seem to be of my generation (60+)!

It would be good to hear of other people's experience...

Mike

It may have changed in the last few years, but as of about 2015, the frequency range of even top tier hearing aids here in the US was only up to 8000Hz. That limits their coverage for much of the repertory of our passerines, especially our warblers.
I've read that some birders have been pleased using frequency shifting hearing aids to transpose the calls to a lower frequency range. They were probably using some sort of bat detector, which has that kind of capability.
Hearing aids are still a work in progress unfortunately, they do not help alleviate hearing loss anywhere nearly as effectively as glasses help manage fading eyesight.

It may have changed in the last few years, but as of about 2015, the frequency range of even top tier hearing aids here in the US was only up to 8000Hz. That limits their coverage for much of the repertory of our passerines, especially our warblers.

That's interesting, though a bit disappointing...

Hearing aids

I have had hearing aids for 15 years. I started with the NHS BTE Oticon Synergy. For vanity's sake, when our younger son got married, I tried some in the ear aids from Specsavers and these were OK but eventually gave up the ghost. I then tried other versions from Specsavers at around £2k but none of these worked properly.

The NHS audiology service is provided either in-house or by Specsavers. You have no choice in the matter and I was pleased to be treated in-house. I went back to the NHS who supplied updated Oticon BTE which were fine. About 18 months ago, I returned to the NHS for another hearing test which resulted in me receiving the latest Oticon Synergy BTE which improved matters. Unfortunately, the aids made my ears so sore that I was reluctant to use them; which rather defeats the object. Back I went and was given some soft molds which had an anti-allergy treatment. These were OK at first but eventually the soreness returned. Luckily, I have now been given Oticon Spirit Zest Plus where the receiver is in the ear (RITE) resulting in a smaller microphone behind the ear and a much thinner tube leading into the ear. I have been very well treated by the NHS which does not normally supply RITE aids.

I also did consider going private and went to one of high street suppliers. The top range of RITE was around £5k and the B range about £3.5k. Which has an interesting article on aids pointing out that the high street suppliers with their huge overheads and commission systems may not provide the best buy. I then tried a local small supplier with good internet reviews and the cost was around half. As I was in touch with the NHS, I decided to hold off for the time being and I am glad that I did.

It might be worth approaching an audiologist asking for a test and advice on an aid for birding. You would be under no obligation and should receive proper technical advice on your wish to hear better with higher frequencies.

I think probably that my hearing might be worse than yours and using any of the aids has made a huge difference - not that I am an expert on birdsong.

One final thing. Many years ago, I attended an evening course about birds at Swansea University. At the end of the course, the tutor took us up into Singleton Park. He remarked on the song from Goldcrests and Firecrests - I could hear nothing - probably would have been better with hearing aids!

Colin

Thanks the comprehensive reply. It's good to hear about other peoples' experience.

I've had a "free" hearing assessment from one of the smaller high street chains, and was told that the top-of-the-range would help with clarity with background noise. My next approach is to try an independent audiologist to get a second opinion, and perhaps take up a 60-day free trial.

Mike

I have Specsavers Videx hearing aids which are not cheap and while they have definitely improved my hearing with human sounds, it still doesn’t enable me to hear most high pitched passerine calls. Grasshopper warblers are an absolute no go. I can’t hear even when the person next to me says they loudly reeling nearby. Funnily enough I seem to be able to pick up treecreepers but not goldcrests. An added misfortune is the stereo is lost and I find it very difficult to locate birds in dense foliage, requiring my long suffering non birding wife to help me locate.
I would welcome any ideas that may aid me and surely many others

Thanks for all that. I am a newbie when it comes to hearing aid. Will have a hearing test at Boots next week . Can't hear the high pitched birds anymore and would love to hear them again as I do birds surveys. Any recommendation for high frequency aid would be very much welcomed. Also good to know about the NHS, although I read recently that the waiting list for a hearing test on the NHS in my part of Scotland is one year....

Thanks for all that. I am a newbie when it comes to hearing aid. Will have a hearing test at Boots next week . Can't hear the high pitched birds anymore and would love to hear them again as I do birds surveys. Any recommendation for high frequency aid would be very much welcomed. Also good to know about the NHS, although I read recently that the waiting list for a hearing test on the NHS in my part of Scotland is one year....
Don't Boots do testing for free?

Don't Boots do testing for free?

Yes they do, but if you want to get free hearing aids you have to go through a NHS (Grampian) test, at the hospital..., for which there is a one-year waiting list, or so I read online. Anyway, I get a free Boots test next week and take it from there. Will contact my GP as well.

Unfortunately, in my experience, if your ears can no longer detect certain frequency bands then no amount of amplification makes any difference. If you have some residual hearing at those frequencies they can make it easier to hear them. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be the market to sustain a new version of the "SongFinder" using technology like Bluetooth etc. I find that the judicious use the Merlin app makes a great difference. Knowing a species is calling/singing allows you to employ your field skills to locate them.

Great to find this tread.

For me hearing loss unfortunately is a genetic thing. In my family almost everyone has it in some sort of way and I already got treated for it in my teens.

As a birder it's really confronting when not hearing the Tree pipits on your migration spot when everybody else does. That's why I started using hearing aids when I was in my mid 30's. It was a great improvement, I never go birding without them and it definitely helped me get some ticks which I otherwise would have missed.

Of course the aids don't solve all the problems. For example some (distant) Grasshopper warblers stay unnoticed by me while others do hear them.
So, for me at least, not only frequency but also distance plays a role.

I thinks a lot of birders (older and younger) would benefit from hearing aids and sometimes it's remarkable that this isn't discussed in the same way as using glasses is. It sometimes even occurs to me that there a lot of shame involved and more birders suffer hearing loss then we might think.

Unfortunately, in my experience, if your ears can no longer detect certain frequency bands then no amount of amplification makes any difference. If you have some residual hearing at those frequencies they can make it easier to hear them. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be the market to sustain a new version of the "SongFinder" using technology like Bluetooth etc. I find that the judicious use the Merlin app makes a great difference. Knowing a species is calling/singing allows you to employ your field skills to locate them.
Yes, the Merlin app picks up a LOT more than my ears... not always correct though.

It's probably more age (I'm in my 70s) than genetics that accounts for my hearing loss (although my mother was very deaf all her life).

I've also "lost" Tree Pipits plus 'crests, Common (but not Short-toed) Treecreeper, Locustella warblers, Redwing, etc. I'd agree that distance is an important element - I can hear Bearded Tits if they're very close but not if they're much beyond 10-20m. Similarly, there are species I can just hear if I concentrate very hard - usually when someone else calls them first - which I'd otherwise miss. I also find some songs (again esp. at a distance) have become an unrecognisable series of disconnected notes as I can't hear some of the component notes that link the song together (e.g. Skylark). I think our reluctance to admit to hearing loss, unlike declining visual acuity, is partly due to societal attitudes. In my experience, people are far more inclined to make jibes (meant good-humouredly) about deafness & hearing aids than they are about sight loss & wearing glasses.

As noted above Merlin App does help but it often doesn't pick up tendrils of sound my ears can detect but not recognise due to the above problems. Does a better/external microphone make any difference? It'd be helpful too to have greater 'directionality' in the app

Yes, the Merlin app picks up a LOT more than my ears... not always correct though.
Agreed but that's where experience can come into play and moderate what you're being told by the App. Chaffinch/Redstart is a notorious glitch. I've also found it useful to play back the recording the App makes since with my mobile glued to my ear I can sometimes hear the song/call that I missed in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back