Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Boycott Malta

Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 12:50   #26
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Perhaps a chapter on the bird slaughter would open a few eyes?

I personally would like to visit and see the places my Dad, who was stationed there with the Navy, told me about, but I won't.
My Dad passed through during his National Service with the RN, and I would be interested to see the WWII stuff, but I also won't. In fact I would like to see the Queen take back their George Cross.

John
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 13:04   #27
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock;3918516[B
]As you're so willing to keep telling us[/b], what will you do with your flag after that?
I dont understand this comment Andy - what have I been so ‘willing to keep telling’ ?

I have the EU flag because I am half Eastern European.

not sure what this has to do with Malta other than once we are out of the EU, the UK will loose the influence it could currently use to put pressure on Malta through the EU.
http://www.osme.org
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 13:31   #28
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Comparing the UK to Malta is a nonsense and it's attitudes such as this, that allow the likes of Malta to continue the slaughter.

Keep banging the EU drum, the sound is growing fainter, they've never done anything meaningful to stop this these activities.
If you were referring to my post (and not Nutty's), my comparison with UK stated AFAIK things are much worse in Malta. But UK's ability to take the moral high ground is compromised by our own pitifully ineffective raptor protection laws.

It's clear you are anti-EU, great, lets get UK out and have more integration of remaining member states, and less derogation from EU laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
I dont understand this comment Andy - what have I been so ‘willing to keep telling’ ?

I have the EU flag because I am half Eastern European.

not sure what this has to do with Malta other than once we are out of the EU, the UK will loose the influence it could currently use to put pressure on Malta through the EU.
I have the EU flag because I'm an Irish and EU citizen, and am thankfully going to remain so in the future.

Good point about UK influence, although we'd first need a government that genuinely cared about bird conservation to even consider putting pressure on Malta.
Old Tuesday 12th November 2019, 14:35   #29
andyadcock

Repeating theme, three pro EU members, seemingly happy to deflect from the situation in Malta just to have a dig at the UK.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 14:09   #30
Rotherbirder

Whilst the emphasis here seems to be on raptors in Malta, what about France - a country that should arguably 'know better'. Upwards of 30,000 Ortolans are slaughtered annually by barbaric means (fattened up and drowned in cognac) in order to perpetuate an elitist 'tradition'. Just because these birds are eaten rather than being killed purely for fun doesn't make it respectable!

RB

Last edited by Rotherbirder : Wednesday 13th November 2019 at 14:11.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 14:37   #31
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherbirder View Post
Whilst the emphasis here seems to be on raptors in Malta, what about France - a country that should arguably 'know better'. Upwards of 30,000 Ortolans are slaughtered annually by barbaric means (fattened up and drowned in cognac) in order to perpetuate an elitist 'tradition'. Just because these birds are eaten rather than being killed purely for fun doesn't make it respectable!

RB
Totally agree about Ortolans, it's just another EU failure on the grounds of 'culture', just like bullfighting. There is no will with the top echelons of the EU to stop any of it.

Shooting Turtle Doves in France where they make it that much easier by sitting in treetop platforms. Shooting in Cyprus is bad too, you can't walk without stepping on a shotgun cartridge in parts of the Troodos Mountains.

There is no will within the top echelons of the EU to stop any of it, it's just not a big ticket issue to them.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 15:58   #32
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Since bashing the EU is your primary concern, I guess the many positive impacts the EU has on conservation and the environment are of no importance to you. Be it through raising standards and forcing legislation in new member states or the encouraging of the identification and protection of valuable localities or through taking member states to court to protect areas of importance, eg to stop the logging of protected forests in Poland, there have been many success stories with regard the EU.

So sure, there are many issues where the EU needs to go much further, and Malta is a clear example, but it is totally false to paint a picture of total failure in regard to the EU and conservation.

PS. Who are the 'top exchelons' that you refer to?

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Wednesday 13th November 2019 at 16:01.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 11:04   #33
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Since bashing the EU is your primary concern,
Nonsense, read the OP and the thread title, the EU was not mentioned until post 3 and not by me.

My subsequent comments were initiated by those seeking to find an opportunity to mention Brexit and criticise the UK's own laws which are not at all relevant to what's happening in Malta.

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 14th November 2019 at 11:53.
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 16:35   #34
jurek

@Jos

No worries, he is just a simple troll.

BTW, number of birds shot in Russia is even bigger than in Malta. Lets propose another self-righteous boycott?
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 16:50   #35
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
@Jos

BTW, number of birds shot in Russia is even bigger than in Malta. Lets propose another self-righteous boycott?
A ridiculous comparison jurek if you compare the total land mass of Russia to Malta, on what basis or fact is your statement made please - population / shotguns or rifles owned per household or number of birds reported as killed. Such a sweeping comment and not supported.

Pat
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 18:50   #36
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
@Jos

Idiot, you seem to be the troll.

The difference in Russia is that 99% of things shot, will be eaten, it's not just for sick, pleasure.

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 14th November 2019 at 19:03.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: