• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would this be Oystercatcher I'm hearing? (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
On several nights now while walking the dog close to midnight I hear a single Peep,short and piping or sometimes a Peep peep,and occasionally it will make a sound like one of my dog's squeaky toys,and i just think Wader,and last year i did see a lone Oystercatcher in a nearby field. So am I likely to be hearing such a bird even tho I'm quite inland?
Edit,i can hear another bird a little like a Curlew but somewhat sombre(i'm typing this while walking the dog and it gets her attention!)

Hi.
I couldn't say about the being inland part, as i'm not too knowlegable about such matters, but, I live beside a large estuary and I often hear the oystercatchers, even in the middle of the night. In fact there's nearly always a few of them chattering away. Must say, thinking about it that I can't remember ever seeing them in the field opposite our house (the estuary is behind),though in the winter there are usually curlews and lapwings in the field . Mark.

At this time of year Oystercatchers return to breeding areas and will often fly about calling during the night. It's one of the first 'signs of spring' here in northeast Scotland.

Thanks guys,this is encouraging,hopefully there'll be one or two around here for me to see! We certainly get Curlew quite often each year but only seen one Oystercatcher up here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back