• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly: Most likely species? (1 Viewer)

Lmc3598

Hi again not been on here for a while

Today in Birmingham in the West Midlands I saw two dragonflies overhead. What is the most likely species for this region?

Thnks

If its of any help, they were both just flying about, occasionally interacting with each other, one got distracted by a fly briefly

Oh and it was in a large nature reserve, mainly forest, the bit i saw them at had trees on one side and the parking lot on the other

Sorry took a while to get back Phil, i cant really tell you about size, they just seemed to be the size of any normal dragonfly really

Lucas,

Like the birds, to be able to identify dragonflies its best to start by working out what rough group they are in. They vary in size and shape greatly, from tiny thin damsels, through average darters and chunky chasers to the larger long thin hawkers and emperors.

Your description of behaviour sounds about right for Migrant hawker that often hangs around quite happily with others of its kind, whereas most other hawkers are very territorial. However without an idea of shape or size - it's only a huge guess.

Cheers,
Matt

Cheers for advice Matt, i was considering Migrant Hawker when i did a bit of research. I honestly cant give you a size, but i can tell you it was definitely a hawker and was smaller than a common hawker. I have held a common hawker before and it was a massive thing. I think the two most likely candidates are migrant and southern, but most probably the former

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back