• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larvae I.D Please (1 Viewer)

JHDraytonbassettpits

All photo's taken today North Warks pic 1 larvae going over grill in brickwork pic 2 taken through hide glass much larger then pic 1. pic 3 a large white larvae seems to be surrounded by small parasitiod wasps does anyone know what the yellow substance is.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 013#026.jpg
    013#026.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 031#022.jpg
    031#022.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 021#027.jpg
    021#027.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi John

Pic #1 is the larva of a Sawfly. Too many legs for it to be a Lep larva.
Pic #2 looks to be Lep but that´s as far as I can go.

Martin

Parasitic Wasp

Many thanks Sean and Martin, 2 of these Pimpla hypochondria were in the hide window, reading on the subject I thought these lay eggs in the larvae using there ovipositor, the eggs hatch then eat away the larvea until it dies.
So the yellow cocoons I assume would be another species of parasitic Wasp.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 028#019.jpg
    028#019.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 28
Many thanks Sean and Martin, 2 of these Pimpla hypochondria were in the hide window, reading on the subject I thought these lay eggs in the larvae using there ovipositor, the eggs hatch then eat away the larvea until it dies.
So the yellow cocoons I assume would be another species of parasitic Wasp.

Regards, John
I don't quite understand your reasoning for there to be another parasite involved. The wasp larvae emerge from the caterpillar then pupate.

I think there´s a misunderstanding here.

Pimpla hypochondria is a parasitic wasp, one that John has identified from his photo, and one that was in the same hide.

The ones emerging from the cocoons that he photographed are a different, unidentified parasitic wasp (i.e another but not the Pimpla sp).

Martin.

Last edited:
Thanks again Sean and Martin, I did a search on google about the life cycle of Pimpla Hypochondria and nothing much came up, there was far more information about the chemical that is injected into the larvae by the parasitic wasp that stops the wasps eggs from being attacked by the larval immune system.
I understand the cycle now from Sean's comments and that only 1 species of Parasitic wasp is involved.
1 Pimpla Hypochondria lays eggs in the host larvae.
2 These parasitic Wasp larvae then eat the moth or Butterfly larvae, they emerge as larvae and not as adults, together they weave a protective cocoon the Yellow substance that looks like loft insulation, they then after a period they emerge as small adult parasitic wasps, picture 3 above showing a small version, then they grow larger (maybe by shedding therer skins).

Regards, John

Last edited:
3 looks like Large White, which makes the wasp for that what used to be called Apanteles glomeratus, but has since changed it's name to something else!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back