• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (1 Viewer)

List Update

Noted some photos for November of Common Buzzard & Sanderling in the gallery of the Fife Bird Club website. Now added to the list.

THE LIST UPDATED
1. Bar-tailed Godwit*
2. Black-headed Gull
3. Black-tailed Godwit
4. Blackbird
5. Blue Tit
6. Bullfinch
7. Carrion Crow
8. Common Buzzard
9. Common Gull
10. Common Tern
11. Cormorant
12. Curlew
13. Dunnock
14. Eider
15. Goldcrest
16. Goldeneye
17. Goldfinch
18. Goosander
19. Great Black-backed Gull*
20. Great Tit
21. Greenfinch
22. Greenshank*
23. Grey Heron
24. Guillemot
25. Herring Gull
26. Housemartin*
27. House Sparrow
28. Kestrel*
29. Lesser Black-backed Gull*
30. Long-tailed Duck*
31. Long-tailed Tit
32. Magpie
33. Mallard
34. Mute Swan*
35. Oystercatcher
36. Pheasant
37. Pied Wagtail (Yarrellii)
38. Peregine*
39. Purple Sandpiper*
40. Red-breasted Merganser*
41. Redshank
42. Reed Bunting
43. Ringed Plover
44. Robin
45. Rock Pipit (Littoralis)
46. Ruff*
47. Sanderling*
48. Sandwich Tern
49. Sedge Warbler*
50. Shag*
51. Song Thrush
52. Sparrowhawk
53. Starling
54. Stonechat*
55. Swallow
56. Turnstone
57. Whimbrel*
58. Willow Warbler*
59. Wood Pigeon
60. Wren.
61. Yellowhammer

Grabbed an hour this afternoon and headed along from the car park towards Seafield Tower. Plan was to stop at the tower as I had limited time, however, the area up to the tower was inundated with dogs and their walkers, so I pushed on a bit further in the hope of finding birds in a quieter area. That said, I did find a Mute Swan in the old harbour area, which is a personal patch tick for me. A little further on I found a wader mixing with some Redshank, that I thought at first was a Black-tailed Godwit. As I watched though the bird took flight and there was no black barring to be seen. Finding the bird again where it landed a short distance away, I managed to get enough detail to confirm my first ever Bar-tailed Godwit.

I continued along the path as far as the Stone Dyke Point. Species seen were Herring Gull, Black Headed Gull, Eider, Heron, Robin, Blackbird, Wren, Yellowhammer, Carrion Crow, Turnstone, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Cormorant and of course the Bar-tailed Godwit and the Mute Swan. Not bad for a quick hour, especially with two personal patch ticks, and one being a lifer.

List Update

Nice list added to Bird Track by a birder yesterday for Seafield Tower area. Included two new species for the list - The humble, but ever so welcome Chaffinch and the Common Scoter. Purple Sandpiper were also on yesterday's report; a bird that continues to persistently evade me.

I also noted on Bird Track that there were a few entries for Black Redstart back in 2011 and 2012. Was very tempted, but don't want to add anything too retrospectively, especially a rarity. Just goes to show what is possible though, even in the months of January and February when those birds were found.

THE LIST UPDATED
1. Bar-tailed Godwit
2. Black-headed Gull
3. Black-tailed Godwit
4. Blackbird
5. Blue Tit
6. Bullfinch
7. Carrion Crow
8. Chaffinch
9. Common Buzzard
10. Common Gull
11. Common Scoter*
12. Common Tern
13. Cormorant
14. Curlew
15. Dunnock
16. Eider
17. Goldcrest
18. Goldeneye
19. Goldfinch
20. Goosander
21. Great Black-backed Gull*
22. Great Tit
23. Greenfinch
24. Greenshank*
25. Grey Heron
26. Guillemot
27. Herring Gull
28. Housemartin*
29. House Sparrow
30. Kestrel*
31. Lesser Black-backed Gull*
32. Long-tailed Duck*
33. Long-tailed Tit
34. Magpie
35. Mallard
36. Mute Swan
37. Oystercatcher
38. Pheasant
39. Pied Wagtail (Yarrellii)
40. Peregine*
41. Purple Sandpiper*
42. Red-breasted Merganser*
43. Redshank
44. Reed Bunting
45. Ringed Plover
46. Robin
47. Rock Pipit (Littoralis)
48. Ruff*
49. Sanderling*
50. Sandwich Tern
51. Sedge Warbler*
52. Shag*
53. Song Thrush
54. Sparrowhawk
55. Starling
56. Stonechat*
57. Swallow
58. Turnstone
59. Whimbrel*
60. Willow Warbler*
61. Wood Pigeon
62. Wren.
63. Yellowhammer

Last edited:
7th Dec 2016 Report (part 1) - To the Tower

An impromptu day's watching on my patch opened up due to a last minute change in my schedule. One minute I was to be dropping the car off for an MOT, then heading home to wait on a delivery. The next minute I was pulling on my birding gear, dropping the car off then heading to Seafield, as the delivery was cancelled.

A ten minute walk from the garage had me at the Seafield car park. Still very gloomy at nine o'clock, with little wave or wind. The tide was fairly high, but on the ebb.

From the car park along to the sea wall, I quickly listed Herring Gull, Oystercatcher, Black-Headed Gull, Turnstone and Redshank. A couple of Carrion Crow were present on the beach. Out on the distant rocks, I could make out Cormorant and on the sea in between were a few Eider.

As I approached the end of the sea wall, my sense of excitement was growing. Surely this was the day I would find Purple Sandpiper out on the broken down remains of the harbour. Three Mallard sailed gently away as I approached, but they were the only birds to be seen in the ruined harbour. Still, it was early
yet.

Pushing on towards the tower, I picked up Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Magpie, Curlew, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Common Gull and Wren.

Arriving at the tower, the heavy skies were threatening rain. The sensible option would be to head back as I had not picked up any waterproofs in my dash out the door. I pushed on towards Kinghorn.

Last edited:
7th Dec 2016 Report (Part 2) - From the tower

Heading South from the tower I climbed the rise to the phone mast. I continued to pick up more Redshank, Oystercatcher, Heron, Herring Gull and Carrion Crows. Eider were now showing in greater numbers.

The scrub was pretty quiet thus far, but I listed more Blackbird, Dunnock, Wren & Goldfinch before adding a solitary Reed Bunting to the list. A Wood Pigeon also made an appearance.

Also noted on the rocks just past the tower was a single Grey Seal. (Incidentally, the mammal count for the patch stands at a paltry three - Grey Seal, Harbour Seal and Rabbit).

Following the coastal path past the Stone Dyke Point and above Bullfinch Cove, I was halfway along the back of Pipe Beach when I noticed a flight of wooden retained dart steps winding down to the beach. I had never noticed these before. Either the undergrowth had died back to reveal them of (more probable) someone had cleared them. I descended down the steps and found myself on a rocky patch. I decided to head back the way to view Bullfinch cove from the bottom for the first time. This took quite a bit of scrabbling, sliding, slipping and climbing over the rocks, pebbles and knee deep seaweed. It was notable that the metal pipe at the North end of the beach was draining fresh water and that fresh water was also draining from a half inch pipe protruding from a retaining wall at the back of this North end of the beach. More water was also flowing from the base of the cliff. This was good to know, as the fresh water should be a good bird attraction.

I crossed the pipe and scrambled into Bullfinch Cove (Photos attached). I tried to find a way up to the path from the cove, as another flight of steps became evident, but they only led to the back of the cove. I suspect there once was a path, but it has long ago disappeared in the undergrowth. Robin were present in the cove and Wren.

I headed back onto Pipe Beach, but rather than ascend my access stairs I continued along the beach. It was easier going once you got South of the stairs, as the beach turned to small pebbles and coarse sand. Just off the beach, I was able to confirm my first Phalacrocorax Aristotelis. There are a probably a mix of Shag out on the distant rocks with the Cormorant, but I count all the distant figure as Cormorant by default. This bird however was close enough for a good ID. I also picked up a Pied Wagtail on the beach.

Reaching the old Lime Kiln at the South end of the beach, I navigated up more slippery rocks and rejoined the coastal path looking out over Kiln Rock.

Photo one - Looking into Bullfinch Cove towards Stone Dyke
Photo two - Looking up into Bullfinch Cove (The coastal path is at the green railing)
Photo three - South End of BullFinch Cove.
Photo four - The North end of Bullfinch Cove (The rocks at the bottom of Stone Dyke Point)

Attachments

• Bullfinch Cove 1.jpg
    Bullfinch Cove 1.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 68
  • Bullfinch Cove 2.jpg
    Bullfinch Cove 2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 68
  • Bullfinch Cove 3.jpg
    Bullfinch Cove 3.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Bullfinch Cove North.jpg
    Bullfinch Cove North.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Pipe Beach View

Photo is of view from mouth of Bullfinch Cove, South along Pipe Beach. You can make out the 6-8" pipe where the beach starts.

Warning The rocks here are pretty slippery and treacherous. If I were you, I wouldn't do what I did and go down there alone. I won't be heading back soon, as I am sure I can see everything I need to from the path above, and even more so from the Stone Dyke Point above. Looking over the wall gives great cover and great views into Bullfinch Cove.

Also, be aware of the tides in areas like this. There was hardly any wave today, and the tide was on the way out.

Nuff said.

Attachments

• Bullfinch Cove South.jpg
    Bullfinch Cove South.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 73
7th Dec 2016 Report (Part 3) - Kinghorn

Heading South along the coastal path, I passed Bellypuff (I kid you not - That is the official name) and then reaching Hoch-Ma-Toch and the old slipway. I don't know what Hoch-Ma-Toch means, but the name appears to be connected to a poor home that used to look down on the rocky bay many years ago (research ongoing). Around the old slipway, a remainder from a long gone boat yard, a flock of more than thirty House Sparrows were busy.

Reaching the bench that marks the southern extreme of my patch, I duly turned and headed back along the path to Kirkcaldy. I started picking up Blue Tits in the Scrub, and halfway along Hoch-Ma-Toch, I found a Bullfinch - a nice adult female. Down on the beach were two more Magpies.

Passing Kiln Rock, the path rose quickly to the benches at the high point above Pipe Beach. Descending with the path now, I discovered a brilliantly coloured male Bullfinch with another female. Also present with them was a Greenfinch. Further along I also started finding Yellowhammer in the Hawthorn.

Reaching the stone dyke, I walked down the slope, following the wall to the point where it ended. There is a set of steps, style fashion, built into the wall where it ends, and these make a good seat. Scanning into Bullfinch Cove, I found more Blackbird (or possibly ones counted earlier) and two delightful Long-tailed Tits. Scanning the rocks out to sea, I found two Great Black-Backed Gulls. As I sat there, a flight of sixteen Pink-Footed Geese flew over, heading out over the Forth towards Edinburgh. These geese were particularly welcome as they are a first tick for the patch.

Photo 1 - Blue Tit
Photo 2 - Bullfinch Female (Photo lightened and warmed)
Photo 3 - Pink-Footed Geese
Photo 4 - Long-Tailed Tit in Bullfinch Cove.
Photo 5 - Yellowhammer

Attachments

• Blue Tit.jpg
    Blue Tit.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Bullfinch.jpg
    Bullfinch.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Geese 3.jpg
    Geese 3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Long Tailed Tit.jpg
    Long Tailed Tit.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Yellowhammer 2.jpg
    Yellowhammer 2.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 67
7th Dec 2016 Report (Part 4) - The final stretch

From Stone Dyke Point, I now descended a grassy track that leads down to Seafield Cave. As you come to the rocky areas you will find stone steps. This I believe is a remainder of the old coastal path, now made redundant by the new path that runs along the top of the cliff above the cave. Where the path reaches the cave, there is a relatively new metal bridge that crosses the rock gully that leads into the cave (I'll put some photos up later of this area). Once past the cave and on the cove beach, there is a large area of scrub that that presents itself as a living wall along the back of most of the beach.

I had been down here once before, so this time came prepared. At the access point to the metal bridge you pass through a tunnel of Blackthorn. I found this tunnel to be closing up with shoots of thorny branches reaching into the tunnel. Last time I pushed and twisted my way through, but lost my footing on the slippery stones underfoot. Instant reflex was to reach out and grab something to prevent a fall. Not a great idea when your standing surrounded by thorn branches bearing 3" spikes. Somehow my hand largely missed the attentions of the fearsome thorns that day. Today, as I said, I came prepared. Last thing I'd put in my rucksack before leaving home was a pair of hand held secateurs. I now whipped these out and with a little pruning made the access to the bridge safe again.

Making my way along the beach, I heard a bird call from the rocks on my seaward side. It seemed like the one I'd heard from the Pied Wagtail I'd found earlier, but there was something different, even to my untrained ear. Scanning the rocks, I soon found my second first patch tick of the day in an elegant Grey Wagtail that rapidly flew off South across the rocks.

Proceeding further down the beach, searching the wall of scrub for signs of a path that used to run into the cove, going by the OS maps. I had found where this path used to be previously, but had not been able to access the grassy area in the centre of the cove, as like the bridge access, it was overgrown with thorny scrub. Out came the secateurs again and fifteen minutes of pruning put the path back where it used to be. I wish I could say it was worth the effort, but it wasn't. The small grassy area was surrounded in scrub, but really, the best viewing point was from the path above.

Exiting back onto the beach, I noted that the light was failing again. It had brightened up a bit earlier, but now the sun was below my horizon and heavy clouds had rolled in. Wind was also freshening.

At the end of the cove are the broken down remains of what looks like old cottages. Passing these I climbed up a grassy area and rejoined the coastal path. Passing the tower, I quickly headed towards the old harbour and sea wall with thoughts of Purple Sandpiper in my mind. Once again, no Purple Sandpiper, but I did find a Bar-Tailed Godwit on the water line.

Crossing the sand across to the broken remnants of the sea wall, I intended to climb over and walk along the front of the wall on the beach. I found however the tide was not far enough out yet.

I headed up the sands again towards the path, but as I walked I suddenly heard a moaning sound just to my right. There lying a few feet from me was a largish Grey Seal pup. I backed off, took a few photos, then headed home.

Thirty two bird species counted. Two new ticks for the patch, and a few more personal patch ticks. Almost an ideal day if it were not for the lack of Purple Sandpiper. :t:

Attachments

• Grey Seal 1.jpg
    Grey Seal 1.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Grey Seal 2.jpg
    Grey Seal 2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 67
  • Grey Seal 3.jpg
    Grey Seal 3.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 65
List Update

Following yesterday's session, I am pleased to be able to add a couple of species to the list - Pink-Footed Goose & Grey Wagtail.

I have also done a bit of research using the Fife Bird Atlas, and can reveal that there are fifty three birds that are not yet on my list, that appeared in the patch area during the surveys. I've obviously got a fair bit of work to do yet. Between my existing list below and the 53 birds from the Atlas, I would have a grand total of one hundred and eighteen birds, and that is without quite a few possible birds that are not on the list and did not feature in the FBA. Pink-Footed Goose was an example of that kind of spot.

Based on this, I've set myself the personal target of one hundred bird species by end of 2017.

THE LIST UPDATED
1. Bar-tailed Godwit
2. Black-headed Gull
3. Black-tailed Godwit
4. Blackbird
5. Blue Tit
6. Bullfinch
7. Carrion Crow
8. Chaffinch
9. Common Buzzard
10. Common Gull
11. Common Scoter*
12. Common Tern
13. Cormorant
14. Curlew
15. Dunnock
16. Eider
17. Goldcrest
18. Goldeneye
19. Goldfinch
20. Goosander
21. Great Black-backed Gull
22. Great Tit
23. Greenfinch
24. Greenshank*
25. Grey Heron
26. Grey Wagtail
27. Guillemot
28. Herring Gull
29. Housemartin*
30. House Sparrow
31. Kestrel*
32. Lesser Black-backed Gull*
33. Long-tailed Duck*
34. Long-tailed Tit
35. Magpie
36. Mallard
37. Mute Swan
38. Oystercatcher
39. Pheasant
40. Pied Wagtail (Yarrellii)
41. Pink-Footed Goose
42. Peregine*
43. Purple Sandpiper*
44. Red-breasted Merganser*
45. Redshank
46. Reed Bunting
47. Ringed Plover
48. Robin
49. Rock Pipit (Littoralis)
50. Ruff*
51. Sanderling*
52. Sandwich Tern
53. Sedge Warbler*
54. Shag*
55. Song Thrush
56. Sparrowhawk
57. Starling
58. Stonechat*
59. Swallow
60. Turnstone
61. Whimbrel*
62. Willow Warbler*
63. Wood Pigeon
64. Wren.
65. Yellowhammer

08/12/16

Checked the harbour area this afternoon, ever hopeful of Purple Sandpipers. Scanning the large blocks of the broken down parts of the sea wall, I spotted a bird that was popping in and out of view. Then there was half a dozen of them, and finally the count was eleven as the small flock revealed themselves for a good viewing. Purple Sandpiper? Not a chance, but a personal tick (and lifer) for Sanderling.

Seafield Cave Cove

Yesterday, I described my foray down into Seafield Cave Cove. Just so it can be better pictured, I am putting up a few photos. I have previously pictured the cove from the path at the top of the cliff (see post #3), so this post will show the best route down into the cove, and the next two posts will show the views once down there.

Photo One - Head out to the end of the wall at Stone Dyke Point.
Photo Two - Take the path that heads downwards to your left.
Photo Three - Short flight of steps to climb.
Photo Four - Flight of steps to descend. Watch the thorn bushes.
Photo Five - The metal bridge at the entrance to Seafield Cave.

Attachments

• Stone Dyke Point.jpg
    Stone Dyke Point.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Descending Path.jpg
    Descending Path.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Steps Up.jpg
    Steps Up.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Steps Down.jpg
    Steps Down.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Metal Bridge.jpg
    Metal Bridge.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 71
Seafield Cave Cove Pictures

Photo One - The Cave entrance from the bridge.

For more info on the cave read http://scharp.co.uk/sites-at-risk/12768/

Photo Two - Cliff above the cave

Photos 3, 4 & 5 - Views into the scrub filled cove

Attachments

• Seafield Cave.jpg
    Seafield Cave.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Above the cave.jpg
    Above the cave.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Into the cove.jpg
    Into the cove.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Into the cove 2.jpg
    Into the cove 2.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Into the cove 3.jpg
    Into the cove 3.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 62
Seafield Cave Cove - more pictures.

Photo one - View into the cove scrum

Photo two - View South along beach towards the cave end.

Photo three - View North towards Seafield Tower.

Attachments

• Into the cove 4.jpg
    Into the cove 4.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 75
  • South along beach.jpg
    South along beach.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 67
  • North to the tower.jpg
    North to the tower.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 59
Chuffed with a Chaffinch

An hour and a half spent on the patch this afternoon. Most of the usual suspects present, but no sign of my prime target of Purple Sandpiper. Heavy grey skies, no wind and no wave. I think a spell of rough weather would actually freshen things up, as it has a very subdued feeling at the moment.

At the tower I headed up the grass bank, then South along the Apple Tree Path alongside the railway track, before popping back out onto the coastal path at the phone mast. Glad I made the detour though, as I found my first patch Chaffinch near the apple tree.

Going as far as Stone Dyke point, I had a quick scan of Bullfinch Cove, but found nothing but Blackbird and a Song Thrush. I also had a quick scan along the beach I have been calling Pipe Beach, but spotted nothing. I found out yesterday that this beach is better known local (if not on the map), as Lime Kiln Beach, so to avoid confusion, I will from this point on also refer to it a Lime Kiln Beach.

Heading back to the car park, I gave the rocks and sea wall a final scan, but to no avail. I'm away for the weekend, so I suspect it will be hooting with Purple Sandpipers until I get back. Never mind, I'm chuffed with my Chaffinch. :t:

You`ve got off to a great start with this thread. Not sure if many birders take an interest in this area, but I notice it does occasionally feature in reports etc. Off the top of my head, I could add, from the last year or so, stonechat, yellowhammer, sedge warbler, willow warbler, goldcrest,swallow, housemartin, ruff, purple sandpiper, greenshank, bar tailed godwit, whimbrel, peregrine, kestrel.

Well, I, for one am. I, and my immediate family are planning on a two week trip to Scotland (mostly non birding) in July of 2017. I'm trying to get a handle of places to visit that would please all (mostly hikers). Posts like this are a big help. Any ideas will be gratefully accepted. We'll be spending most of the time in the north, or so it is planned now.

Hi Don,
Some great hiking territory up North. I particularly like the Cairngorms. They certainly are not the Rockies, but they do have their own charm and beauty.

If you were to venture further South, I believe there are parts of the Fife Coastal Path that are hugely under-rated. Parts of the path from St Andrews (well worth a visit in itself) round the East Neuk of Fife are scenically breath taking (and not too demanding hiking wise).

Wherever you end up, I hope you have a great time.

As predicted

I'm away for the weekend, so I suspect it will be hooting with Purple Sandpipers until I get back.

18 Purple Sandpiper reported at Seafield this morning, and I'm 500 miles away. 26 Long-Tailed Duck and a Ruff, both of which would be personal patch ticks, also reported.

Roll on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back