• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery flower, Hampshire (1 Viewer)

Could it be a helleborine perhaps broad leaved. There is a photo of a similar plant on the orchid thread.

Well, that's the beauty here, in that it's a regular dog walk for me! and I can return for another look.

They are certainly late for (Common) Solomon's Seal round here. They are quite common in all the local woods, and have been in flower for a month now.

The purple stem has thrown me to be honest.

Reading up on the other Polygonatum species, Angular can have a purple stem, and flowers slightly later(?) but is very rare here.
Looks like hybrids have occurred not too far away.

Violet Helleborine was my only other thought, but that would be equally rare, if not more. (That is a 1 hour drive / twitch for me!). They do tend to grow in clumps, in their favour compared to other Helleborines.

Looking at the Orchid thread, the Dune Helleborine has a similar look too., (although not a contender down here). However, Broad Leaved (more likely) and Green Flowered (less likely) can both show purple stems.

Exciting, whatever it is.. It was very close to a well walked area, difficult to shelter it from feet (Human, Dogs, and Horses!), so let's hope we get to find out in a month or so.

Last edited:
The wait is nearly over for this mystery now. Believed to be Broad-leaved Helleborine. Surprisingly given its location on the edge of a footpath used daily by dozens of dog walkers, it looks like we will see it in flower. Just the one clump as far as I can see.

Attachments

• IMG_20190709_183135-960x1280.jpg
    IMG_20190709_183135-960x1280.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back