• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Adventures TV Show (1 Viewer)

Antpipit

Are you guys familiar with the TV show Birding Adventures by Jim Curry.
I don't see much of it anymore.

How do you guys like it?

Would you agree that the show never took off?

I enjoyed the show but it never seemed to be on TV on a set schedule, so I never knew when it was coming on.

However, most, if not all, of the episodes are now on YouTube.

Dave

Yes, the lack of consistency regarding schedules and episodes was frustrating.

However, all things considered, a purely birding show does not seem to be enough to call the attention of a big enough crowd. Otherwise, Jim Curry would have an effort to satisfy demand.

Jus my opinion.

David

I'm familiar with James Currie's BATV show, and agree that while the schedule was inconsistent, the content was excellent. The BATV Youtube episodes are easy to find online, and especially useful if you are planning on visiting any of those locations - the show was filmed at many of the birding hotspots around the world. https://www.youtube.com/user/BirdingAdventures/videos

James Currie's memoir "When Eagles Roar" is very good and has won quite a bit of praise, including "Book of the Year' by Birder's Library. The book details his life as a safari ranger in Africa, and how his love of birding motivated him to start his own show.
https://www.amazon.com/When-Eagles-Roar-Wildlife-Adventurer/dp/0990766004

The show was good, I really liked it. The problem was that apparently there was no continuity. Any successful show must have continuity to keep feeding the interested audience.

Perhaps more important is to ask why has not anyone else step up to do a birding show like that one or similar.

It may be that there is not an audience big enough to get advertisers interested.

I've seen his videos here in the UK on youtube, and I love watching them.

I wish there was a dedicated channel to birding.

Totally unrealistic I accept. But I'd be in dreamland, like I am watching Birding DVDs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back