• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory SF 10x42 dioptre adjustment (1 Viewer)

cdmackay

Possibly naive question, please.

Should a given central/right dioptre adjustment work for focussing at all distances?

It could be my imagination, but I find that if I do the adjustment when focussed on something relatively close, e.g. 15 feet (5m) away, then I end up with about +0.5 dioptre, on the scale.

But if I then try it at infinity, e.g. the moon, I end up with a setting of zero, and the +0.5 I had from the closer adjustment seems to be noticeably wrong.

[the strong detent at zero, on the SF, I find somewhat annoying, when my natural setting is quite close to zero]

Is this normal? Obviously, I don't want to be having to adjust it every time I focus from near to infinity; but perhaps my testing/adjustment is flawed?

My last eye test was about three years, ago; my left/right spherical were equal (matching the moon adjustment), with a 0.75 cylindrical/astigmatism difference. But my eyes could easily have changed since then. I'll get them tested again soon.

thanks for any comments…

My thoughts are to set the diopter for your normal viewing distance, and typically for most is at least
10M out to infinity.

For viewing up closer, you may need to change it, or just give it a go, and leave it alone.
Your eyes will compensate, that is called accommodation, and the dominate eye will do just fine.

So to sum up my recommendation, is to just leave it alone, most all binoculars need changes when viewing
up close, your IPD will also need changing.

You are also correct, your eyes may have something to do with it.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back