• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good books about divers/loons? (1 Viewer)

Andrea Collins

England
As per the thread title. Are there any good books about divers/loons?

I have Niall Rankin's "Haunts of British Divers" from 1947 but it is rather ancient and somewhat mis-titled. A few American books come up when searching but none of them look particularly detailed. I'd really like something of the standard of the Poyser monographs but I suspect there isn't anything.

Am I missing anything?

Yes but... Lommar by Lars Jonsson apparently concentrates on the field identification of the various species of diver, but also covers e.g. distribution and behaviour and no doubt has fantastic illustrations. Unfortunately it is both out of print and written entirely in Swedish.

There was supposed to be an divers volume in the OUP Bird Families of the World book (was actually supposed to be Divers/Loons and Grebes I believe), but only the Grebes sections was published. And eventually the series entirely ground to a halt which is a shame as they are very good, if expensive.

Sorry, that was no help whatsoever!

Yes but... Lommar by Lars Jonsson apparently concentrates on the field identification of the various species of diver, but also covers e.g. distribution and behaviour and no doubt has fantastic illustrations. Unfortunately it is both out of print and written entirely in Swedish.

I've a copy of Lommar and can confirm that it's on ID and that the plates are superb. Apologies for the poor photos attached but my scanner's playing up so I took photos with my mobile. It's a slim 80-page booklet and is indeed in Swedish. Many years ago my wife taught herself Swedish to read Tove Jannsen's Moomin books in the original language and kindly translated the captions under the plates. Alas, she never got round to translating the whole book.

Attachments

• Lomar.png
    Lomar.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 54
Anything by ‘Lurch’ Johnsson has to be good:t:

I have that ‘Shoal of Sand’ book somewhere. I bumped into him on the Scillies mid-80’s, when Dave Hunt was still alive he was stopping with him. He was sketching out on Peninnis Head and was very accommodating allowing me to ask questions on technique etc. He was drawing stuff whilst watching thru a ‘scope. These people see detail that seems to elude ppl like me:C

We did have something in common - we both were sporting the then new Ziess 7x42bGAT. I still use mine:t:

Laurie -

Thanks for the interesting replies. A divers volume in the OUP "Bird Families of the World" series would have been great. Such a pity that series was abandoned.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back