• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura (1 Viewer)

Niels said:
Delia, who made the Scotland map?

André - who else LOL , he did the whole page.

Steve said:
My own personal view, would be that Spain be split into areas of birding that visitors would recognise, such as Extremadura, Pyrenees, Ebro Delta, Barcelona area, Coto Donana, etc, though others may have better ideas. If someone wanted to add a new area to Opus, they could then start a new sub-location within Spain. I am merely thinking of potential searches on Opus, as it will then enable people to look for locations in a particular area they may be interested in, rather than trawling through a list of place names that could potentially mean nothing to them.

Yes, I basically agree with this Steve. It's really trying to make searches user-friendly.

D

One additional thing: any location that still contain a heading followed by "to do" should start with this template at the very top: {{incompletelocation}}

Cheers
Niels

Yes... I was going to do that if necessary. However, if there's never going to be anything under a particular heading it can be deleted, of course.

D

I do some work for the Extremadura Tourist Board, so getting permission to use a map should be no problem, but i will draw one from scratch, which will save any hassle.

If someone can put the disambiguation on, id be grateful, im still very much learning here.

Great with the map. I have added the line for disambiguation.

Cheers
Niels

Great, nearly done with the Extremadura page, its not too much is it ? Just the checklist and map to add. Where do you stop with a checklist though, as i have nearly 240 on my list here ?

We've had long discussions in the past about this.

The checklist should consist only of birds 'likely to be seen' and not 1-off visits by vagrants and rarities - if that makes sense. They can be mentioned in other sections.

Can you do it in one of the 'family' orders, please?

D

Of course, i understand, but it will still mean a list of 150 or so species, especially in taxonomic order, and using the unfamiliar american names as used in Opus for links. ( What on earth is a Cinereous Vulture for example ? ) My fingers are nearly worn out as it is. But i will persevere.

Steve

Of course, i understand, but it will still mean a list of 150 or so species, especially in taxonomic order, and using the unfamiliar american names as used in Opus for links. ( What on earth is a Cinereous Vulture for example ? ) My fingers are nearly worn out as it is. But i will persevere.

Steve

LOL I know what you mean (who do you think did all the links in the original 1000 or so articles ... er ... well there were a few of us!)

Have you thought about a C&P from one of the other articles (which has the most species) then slotting in the remainder?

D

EDIT: at this stage, don't worry too much about the 'correct' name, as most will have re-directs set up from other common names. The few that remain can then be checked.

Great job with the Extremadura page, and presumably with the others (which I have not really looked at).

With regards to searchability: I don't think the problem necessarily is so great. Let us assume for example that Ebro delta becomes part of an area named "East-central Spain". To aid in searching, one would then make a redirect from Ebro, and another from Ebro delta, both leading to the name of the article. But of course, one would chose "East-central Spain" as name for the page only if there was some sense in doing so, for example to include other areas with similar birds. I cannot remember enough about Spain to make good proposals for which areas to join. Try to sit down with the map and draw some lines and see where it takes you. It would probably be an advantage if most provinces could be included in one regions each, so that it would be possible to redirect for example Navarra to "Spanish Pyrenees".

Hope this helps
Niels

Hi Niels

Ill have a go at a few things later in the week, and see what i can come up with, i think the regional suggestions, northeast, southwest etc might be the way forward. Time for much needed beauty sleep now, and Carnival tomorrow, woohoo.

Regards

Steve

at this stage, don't worry too much about the 'correct' name, as most will have re-directs set up from other common names. The few that remain can then be checked.

I found out to my cost, that doesnt appear to be the case, for example, if i tried [[pin tailed sandgrouse]] without the hyphen, it came up orange, so i then had to look in Opus for the correct name, and also if using a plural, Plovers, instead of Plover, it also appears orange too, but ill crack it, sooner or later.

By the way Delia, what on earth do the years and numbers mean at the bottom of your posts ?

Regards

Steve

By the way Delia, what on earth do the years and numbers mean at the bottom of your posts ?

It's the number of species I've found in those years on my patch (Up the Hill).

Unfortunately, in 2008 and 2009 I had hip replacements in the spring, so missed the critical times there - hence the rather low records.

I found out to my cost, that doesnt appear to be the case, for example, if i tried [[pin tailed sandgrouse]] without the hyphen, it came up orange, so i then had to look in Opus for the correct name, and also if using a plural, Plovers, instead of Plover, it also appears orange too, but ill crack it, sooner or later.

I did say 'most';) but no, plurals don't work.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back