• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inside FL Eyecups (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
A discussion concerning the workings of FL eyecups took place on the SF thread and I decided to disassemble one to investigate just how it worked. The results are posted here and on the next post.

FLs were fitted with at least 3 different eyecups over the years and I do not know exactly how they differed from each other. I have experience with 2 of them. The older one had a rather square or flat-topped rim that you pushed against your eye sockets and the later one which I have disassembled here, had a much rounder or semi-circular cross-section rim.

They consist of 3 tubular elements so there is an outer tube carrying the rubber part that buts up against your face and it also carries a coarse thread for screwing the eyecup up and down. Then there is an inner tube carrying the other part of the coarse thread and also the fine thread that secures the eyecup into the bins. Finally there is an in-between tube with an o-ring near the top to stop water and dust getting down into the eyecup workings and crucially it has a small moulded-in protuberance or ‘lug’ on its outer diameter. It is this lug that creates the click-stop effect every time it encounters one of 6 shallow longitudinal grooves on the inner surface of the outer eyecup tube as you rotate the eyecup to screw it out or in. The security of the click-stop (I mean how definite or positive it feels) depends on how well the lug clicks into each groove. This arrangement means that if you start with your eyecup 'clicked' into the full up or full down position and rotate it through 180 deg the lug should encounter two other grooves and therefore two other click-stop positions.

In the first pic below we have the three components lined up and from left to right they are:

The outer tube which is the one we are familiar with, then what I call the intermediate tube that is normally hidden even when we remove the eyecup from the bins for cleaning, and finally on the far right we have the inner tube.

The second pic is the outer tube in close-up with the important features indicated by the arrows and text boxes.

Lee

Attachments

• FL eyecup disassembled.jpg
    FL eyecup disassembled.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Outer tube with locating groove and male thread feature.jpg
    Outer tube with locating groove and male thread feature.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
FL Eyecups continued

Here the pics show the other two components in close-up and again the main features are indicated by the arrows and text boxes.

Lee

Attachments

• Intermediate Tube with Positioning Lug and O-ring Seal.jpg
    Intermediate Tube with Positioning Lug and O-ring Seal.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 79
  • FL eyecup inner tube.jpg
    FL eyecup inner tube.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 84
A discussion concerning the workings of FL eyecups took place on the SF thread and I decided to disassemble one to investigate just how it worked. The results are posted here and on the next post.

FLs were fitted with at least 3 different eyecups over the years and I do not know exactly how they differed from each other. I have experience with 2 of them. The older one had a rather square or flat-topped rim that you pushed against your eye sockets and the later one which I have disassembled here, had a much rounder or semi-circular cross-section rim.

They consist of 3 tubular elements so there is an outer tube carrying the rubber part that buts up against your face and it also carries a coarse thread for screwing the eyecup up and down. Then there is an inner tube carrying the other part of the coarse thread and also the fine thread that secures the eyecup into the bins. Finally there is an in-between tube with an o-ring near the top to stop water and dust getting down into the eyecup workings and crucially it has a small moulded-in protuberance or ‘lug’ on its outer diameter. It is this lug that creates the click-stop effect every time it encounters one of 6 shallow longitudinal grooves on the inner surface of the outer eyecup tube as you rotate the eyecup to screw it out or in. The security of the click-stop (I mean how definite or positive it feels) depends on how well the lug clicks into each groove. This arrangement means that if you start with your eyecup 'clicked' into the full up or full down position and rotate it through 180 deg the lug should encounter two other grooves and therefore two other click-stop positions.

In the first pic below we have the three components lined up and from left to right they are:

The outer tube which is the one we are familiar with, then what I call the intermediate tube that is normally hidden even when we remove the eyecup from the bins for cleaning, and finally on the far right we have the inner tube.

The second pic is the outer tube in close-up with the important features indicated by the arrows and text boxes.

Lee

Lee,

The reason why Zeiss changed the eyecup finally to the one with the more pronounced round silicon ring was the fact that the rainguard (from the earlier Victory model) that was now supplied with the FL didn't fit on the other two.
They were to small in diameter.

Jan

Lee,

The reason why Zeiss changed the eyecup finally to the one with the more pronounced round silicon ring was the fact that the rainguard (from the earlier Victory model) that was now supplied with the FL didn't fit on the other two.
They were to small in diameter.

Jan

Thats interesting Jan. Are you saying the rubber that covers the surface you push against your eye sockets is silicone rubber?

From my time in the rubber industry I remember it is known primarily for its ability to survive and function in extremely high (for rubber) and quite low temperatures.

Lee

Thats interesting Jan. Are you saying the rubber that covers the surface you push against your eye sockets is silicone rubber?

From my time in the rubber industry I remember it is known primarily for its ability to survive and function in extremely high (for rubber) and quite low temperatures.

Lee

As I'm told its a non-allergic silicone, but rubber will do it also for me;)

My point was that there was no other (quality) reason for Zeiss to change the form of the rubber/silicone eyecup other than stop the complaints from customers that the rainguards of the FL didn't fit the size of the eyecups.

Happy New Year!

My point was that there was no other (quality) reason for Zeiss to change the form of the rubber/silicone eyecup other than stop the complaints from customers that the rainguards of the FL didn't fit the size of the eyecups.

Happy New Year!

Excellent, thanks Jan.

Happy New Year back :t:

Lee

Happy New Year!

I for one was glad about the change, the main reason for me being that the more recent design is more comfortable to use.

Nice job with the photos and labels, Lee!

I still have a pair of the first FL eyecups. The rubber part was rounded, but quite thin and not very comfortable. That one only lasted about 6 months. The rubber part of the second version was wider with square corners and required a wider rainguard. I recall some complaints here around early 2005 about FLs supplied with second version eyecups mistakenly mismatched with first version rainguards. The first version rainguards are also too small for the final wide rounded version of the eyecup.

Henry

Happy New Year!

Rubber or silicone; they are very comfortable and feel "rubbery" to me!o:D

And the rainguard fits fine over them. Just the right amount of "stiction" to stay on and come off easily. Same for the objective covers. My 7x42 is a later model I purchased after it was discontinued.

Happy New Year!

Bob

Last edited:
Here the pics show the other two components in close-up and again the main features are indicated by the arrows and text boxes.

Lee

Excellent pictures Lee!:t:

Thanks for posting them.

I've been comparing them with the eye cups on my 7x42. Your second thumbnail above, which shows the the threads on the inside surface, also shows a rim surrounding the outside surface at the end of the tube. My eye cups don't have that rim on them and the coarse threading on the outside surface is different.

I'm wondering if the eye cups on mine have that intermediate tube you show in the first thumbnail of thread #1?

Your part #1 on my eye cup has a "rubber" portion on the eye cup, which fits around the eyes and seems like it can be peeled off the tube. The rubber portion which I place against my brow ridge is soft and flexible with a cushion like effect. The one you show looks like a harder plastic construction.

I did not try to take the eye cups on my binocular apart so I could be missing something here but it looks to me like mine are 2 piece construction.

Maybe there was a later iteration of the eye cups on the FL?

Happy New Year!

Bob

Excellent pictures Lee!:t:

Thanks for posting them.

I've been comparing them with the eye cups on my 7x42. Your second thumbnail above, which shows the the threads on the inside surface, also shows a rim surrounding the outside surface at the end of the tube. My eye cups don't have that rim on them and the coarse threading on the outside surface is different.

I'm wondering if the eye cups on mine have that intermediate tube you show in the first thumbnail of thread #1?

Your part #1 on my eye cup has a "rubber" portion on the eye cup, which fits around the eyes and seems like it can be peeled off the tube. The rubber portion which I place against my brow ridge is soft and flexible with a cushion like effect. The one you show looks like a harder plastic construction.

I did not try to take the eye cups on my binocular apart so I could be missing something here but it looks to me like mine are 2 piece construction.

Maybe there was a later iteration of the eye cups on the FL?

Happy New Year!

Bob

Bob

Sounds like your eyecups are different from mine although note that the entire surface of the eyecup that I press to my eyes sockets is actually a rubber covering that is quite comfortable.

I agree that in the pic of all three components the outer tube on the left does look like solid plastic on this surface and the same is true of the pic alongside the focuses on the inside of this tube. The rubber coating is bonded to the tube on the outside surface of the tube but the curved part of the rubber, that covers that top surface is actually loose. So when I remove the intermediate tube by pressing out of the top of the outer tube, the rubber flexes upwards out of the way.

Getting the intermediate tube back in is another story involving broken nails and expletives. :king:

Lee

Nice job with the photos and labels, Lee!

I still have a pair of the first FL eyecups. The rubber part was rounded, but quite thin and not very comfortable. That one only lasted about 6 months. The rubber part of the second version was wider with square corners and required a wider rainguard. I recall some complaints here around early 2005 about FLs supplied with second version eyecups mistakenly mismatched with first version rainguards. The first version rainguards are also too small for the final wide rounded version of the eyecup.

Henry

Thanks for the background Henry and your kind words about the photos and labels. Took a bit of figuring out with Windows 7 but got there in the end only to find the files were too large to post so I had to do some 'post-production'. :smoke:

Lee

Bob

Sounds like your eyecups are different from mine although note that the entire surface of the eyecup that I press to my eyes sockets is actually a rubber covering that is quite comfortable.

I agree that in the pic of all three components the outer tube on the left does look like solid plastic on this surface and the same is true of the pic alongside the focuses on the inside of this tube. The rubber coating is bonded to the tube on the outside surface of the tube but the curved part of the rubber, that covers that top surface is actually loose. So when I remove the intermediate tube by pressing out of the top of the outer tube, the rubber flexes upwards out of the way.

Getting the intermediate tube back in is another story involving broken nails and expletives. :king:

Lee

Hi Lee,

The rubber coverings are bonded to the tube on mine also. One other difference, however, is that they don't extend all the way down the top portion of the eye cup. There is about 2.5mm left uncovered. That part of the eye cup is about 12mm long total which looks to be about the same length as yours is.

So you pushed them up out through the tube, huh? I don't think I will try that until I order an extra pair!:eek!:

Bob

Hi Lee,

The rubber coverings are bonded to the tube on mine also. One other difference, however, is that they don't extend all the way down the top portion of the eye cup. There is about 2.5mm left uncovered. That part of the eye cup is about 12mm long total which looks to be about the same length as yours is.

So you pushed them up out through the tube, huh? I don't think I will try that until I order an extra pair!:eek!:

Bob

Hi Bob

The eyecup reassembled OK :king:

Lee

My experience matches Henry's, so it was not the case that the eyecups were changed to fit the rainguard. Additional evidence for that conclusion comes from the fact that the rainguard changed at least three times. The first version fit the original eyecups fairly well but was too small for the second and third eyecup versions. The second rainguard fit the second and third eyecups, though on the loose side, especially on the third eyecups (a fit nevertheless preferred by some birders). The third rainguard also fits fairly loosely but has little projections that catch on the third eyecup to hold it from lifting off without a little tug.

--AP

My experience matches Henry's, so it was not the case that the eyecups were changed to fit the rainguard. Additional evidence for that conclusion comes from the fact that the rainguard changed at least three times. The first version fit the original eyecups fairly well but was too small for the second and third eyecup versions. The second rainguard fit the second and third eyecups, though on the loose side, especially on the third eyecups (a fit nevertheless preferred by some birders). The third rainguard also fits fairly loosely but has little projections that catch on the third eyecup to hold it from lifting off without a little tug.

--AP

Hi Alex

Thanks for supplying all that info.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back