• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straits of Georgia..Canada (1 Viewer)

Mcnswiss2

Small birds seen on ferry to Vancouver Island..Auks? Sorry for bad photos..so small the birds

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• A0A50483-EC5F-42FF-9E2E-315395B43700.jpeg
    A0A50483-EC5F-42FF-9E2E-315395B43700.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 0D91DAED-077F-4D2B-97AB-66FE6B9F3DC9.jpeg
    0D91DAED-077F-4D2B-97AB-66FE6B9F3DC9.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 57
  • F22544CA-B2BA-4649-92F1-145315FAA18A.jpeg
    F22544CA-B2BA-4649-92F1-145315FAA18A.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 48
Agree 1st winter Black-legged Kittiwake for the gull in pics 2-3; I'd think Sabine's is unlikely there, as well as lacking the black collar that's just visible (a good 1st winter Kitti pointer :t:)

I don't know if I would call it a Kittiwake just based on these pictures and the likelihood of seeing one there. Sabine's appears to be about the same likelihood.
A far more likely small gull candidate would be bonapartes...

I don't know if I would call it a Kittiwake just based on these pictures and the likelihood of seeing one there. Sabine's appears to be about the same likelihood.
A far more likely small gull candidate would be bonapartes...
B-l Kittiwake is far more likely in inshore coastal waters; Sab's generally migrate well out in the ocean. Bonaparte's would be commoner, but (like Sab's) doesn't have the blackish collar.

While you're probably correct. For the sake of argument, I thought I'd try blowing up the image and checking the darkness of the pixels...
(When scaling the picture I let it resample, but I checked against the original pixels and they are very close to the sample ones I've labeled in the attached image)

Of course it's very hard to tell what is what color because shadows etc. It looks like a pretty overcast day though...

The number pointing to a spot on the bird corresponds with the amount of light in that area of the picture. A lower number is a darker area (range is 0 - 100).

The spot on the neck (55) I think is probably white.
The black spot (13) is definitely dark, so probably black.
The head in general (30) is between these two... the darkness level is quite a bit closer to the darkness of the head--17 away as opposed to 25.

So, the head being pale is debatable?

Then again maybe it's just a shadow/angle thing and 35 could also be white, just at a different angle, which would then make 30 for the head a reasonable white...
I've got about zero experience with all three species, but I do know that both would be quite rare for the area, though definitely possible.

The neck definitely looks black, so if that's diagnostic I guess it must be a Kittiwake.

Anyways, those are just my 2¢

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back