Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

emmae in Leptocoma sperata emmae

Old Thursday 30th July 2020, 08:39   #1
Taphrospilus

emmae in Leptocoma sperata emmae

OD tells us here:

Quote:
Named in honor of Mme E. Jabouille.
We can find in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds that it is a dedication to Emma Jabouille the wife of Pierre Charles Edmond Jabouille. What I know is that his mother was named Emma Jenny née Lejeune http://www.archinoe.net/v2/ad17/visu...l?id=170031875 p. 76 of 331. I think we can find this as well in...

Quote:
Jean Théodore Delacour: Pierre Jabouille 1875–1947. In: L'Oiseau et la revue française d'ornithologie. vol 17, 1947, pp XIX–XXIII
...if I remember correctly. about his parents we can find:

Quote:
Louis - Arthur Jabouille s ' était marié à Saintes , le 16 septembre 1873 , avec Emma - Jenny Lejeune , fille de Charles - Emile Lejeune , chef de l ' exploitation du chemin de fer des Charentes , devenu , à une date postérieure , directeur du du groupe régional de l'Eure de Champagnie des chemins de fer de l'Ouest....
Not sure what the future BOW key (not mentioned in Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names) will tells us to whom the name was dedicated.

I personally have no clue if Jabouille was even married (but possible) (maybe http://archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/...ielem_zoom=182 p. 7 of 20?. Maybe someone here have more information?

Regarding his mother here at their marriage http://www.archinoe.net/v2/ad17/visu...l?id=170031872 b. 26. September 1855 in Paris. No idea about her death. His father 24. October 1842 Charente (Ruffec) But in Leonore he is born 23. October.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Thursday 30th July 2020 at 19:44.
Old Thursday 30th July 2020, 21:41   #2
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
Regarding his mother here at their marriage http://www.archinoe.net/v2/ad17/visu...l?id=170031872 b. 26. September 1855 in Paris. No idea about her death. His father ...
Martin, you sure didn't make it easy for anyone else to find, and see, that Marriage record

However, after at lot of flipping back and forth I found it; here (same link, see view/opening; 39/221, No. 71), or attached excerpt.

What it say? I haven't got a clue (it's all in French).

/B
-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariage, L. A. Jabouille + E. J. Lejeune.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	733288  
Old Friday 31st July 2020, 09:24   #3
Taphrospilus

Maybe it is worth to follow the path https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?n...Marie_Boudreau Charles Emile Lejeune and Marie Hélène Lucie Régent on Ancestry? Her father may be born 31. January 1828 in Metz https://books.google.com/books?id=_u...cAAJ&pg=PA4264 .
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 02:25   #4
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

Bjorn's link and photo show a marriage record dated 15 september 1873, Louis Arthur Jabouille with Emma Jenny Lejeune, in the town of Saintes, which at the time was in the Departement of Charente-Inferieure.

The groom was thirty years old, the bride seventeen. (Born 24 october 1842 in Ruffec (Charente) and 26 September 1855 in Paris, respectively, if I'm reading the handwriting correctly -- they provided their birth certificates when they got married.) The groom is a Substitute-[Prosecutor? hard to read] of the Republic ; the bride is "without profession."

These are without doubt the same people identified as Pierre's parents by Taphrospilus above; all details match exactly, except the day of the marriage (Bjorn's link most definitely says "quinze", not "seize" - at 5:00 in the evening, in fact, which is a little bit odd, especially since it was a Monday.)

Most likely the Eponym Dictionary wrongly assumed which "Madame Jabouille" the bird was named for; it's unlikely (though not disproven) that Pierre also married a woman named Emma.

Last edited by nartreb : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 02:45.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 08:33   #5
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Anyone who have access to Jabouille's (French) Obituary? Written by his dear old friend:

Jean (Théodore) Delacour. 1947. Pierre Jabouille 1875–1947. L'Oiseau (et la Revue Française d'Ornithologie) 17: pp. XIX–XXIII.
[As of here, but only as Google snippet views]

It's far longer (and hopefully far richer in detail) than its English/US dittos:
Willoughby P. Lowe & Jean Delacour. 1948. Obituries:... Pierre Jabouille. The Ibis 90 (1), pp. 148–149 (here)
Jean Delacour. 1948. Obituary: Pierre Jabouille. The Auk 66 (1): p. 112 (here, thus not on p. 1112, as it says on the German Wiki page)

Maybe Delacour tells us anything (in the French Obituary) that could lead us to the mysterious Emma? Surely, in an Obituary of about five pages long, there ought to be something, some mentioning of a wife (if he ever had one, of course)?

Either way; Delacour ought to have known who she was, as he and Jabouille knew each other better than most (from the early 1920's, until "just before the end").

/B
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 09:22   #6
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Post Mme Jabouille's sunbird ssp. (... in need of French)

If we return to, and take a closer look at; Pierre Jabouille's Death Record (second last link in Martin's post #1, or attached excerpt) ...

Doesn't the word "Célibataire" ... indicate that Monsieur Jabouille was celibate, living in celibacy, a least (in 1947) at the time of his passing (meaning that he was unmarried, or in modern words; a single/bachelor) ... ?!?

I assume the "époux décédes" ('deceased spouse') part refers to his Mother. Or?

If not; wouldn't Jabouille himself have been a veuf (or similar), in the/this/his Death Record, as in widower (a man who has lost his spouse/wife by death, and not "Célibataire")?

/B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jabouille, Death Record.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	733385  

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 21:59. Reason: typo; not celibstaire
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 10:00   #7
Taphrospilus

For the sake of more completeness:

archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMjAtMDgtMDEiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6NztzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6NDA0ODtzOjE2OiJ2aXNpb25uZXVzZV9odG1sIjtiOjE7czoyMToidmlzaW9ubmV1c2VfaHRtbF9tb2RlIjtzOjQ6InByb2QiO30=#uielem_move=-1186%2C-277&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=201&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F I think his father died 25th Febriuary 1887 p. 2 of 21 or full archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMjAtMDgtMDEiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6NDtzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6MjMxNzI0O3M6MTY6InZpc2lvbm5ldXNlX2h0bWwiO2I6MTtzOjIxOiJ2aXNpb25uZXVzZV9odG1sX21vZGUiO3M6NDoicHJvZCI7fQ==#uielem_move=-1532%2C-55&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=185&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F p. 16 of 31 (no clue if a bird bears his name).

Pierre Charles Edmond Jabouille was honored in Jabouilleia, Gallus gallus jabouillei and Lalage polioptera jabouillei.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 10:08   #8
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

What happened to the link Martin!?
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 10:18   #9
Taphrospilus

You have to copy and paste the whole URL or try this here p. 16 of 31. More on his father here. See also footnote here.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 10:32.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 10:46   #10
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Yes, I did that, but the link in post #7 only took me to a "1883-1892 , Décès , 08", where I only found a book/opening of 16/21, from Lanny, and onwards ... !?

I simply didn't understand who you were searching for, aiming at?

The new link (first one) worked better! "1887 , Décès , 08" (16/31) made better sense (i.e. his Father's Death record).

Björn
--

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 11:58.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 11:44   #11
nartreb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
If we return to, and take a closer look at; Pierre Jabouille's Death Record (second last link in Martin's post #1, or attached excerpt) ...

Doesn't the word "Célibstaire" ... indicate that Monsieur Jabouille was celibate, living in celibacy, a least (in 1947) at the time of his passing (meaning that he was unmarried, or in modern words; a single/bachelor) ... ?!?

I assume the "époux décédes" ('deceased spouse') part refers to his Mother. Or?

If not; wouldn't Jabouille himself have been a veuf (or similar), in the/this/his Death Record, as in widower (a man who has lost his spouse/wife by death, and not "Célibstaire")?

/B
The "deceased spouses" means Arthur and Emma, i.e. Pierre's parents. That's unambiguous. "Epoux decedes" is the masculine plural, so it means at least two people, at least one of whom is male. If it were intending to say that Pierre was a widower, then in addition to requiring a new sentence, it would use the feminine form "epouse" (or the feminine plural "epouses") to refer to his deceased wife/wives.

And yes, "celibataire" means unmarried. In normal usage it means "never married" - you'd say "widower" ("veuf") or "divorced" if you meant "no longer married". Indeed this record book shows a "veuf" as the first and last entries on page 122, and a "divorcee" also on that page. So I'm satisfied Pierre was never married.

Last edited by nartreb : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 11:49.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 12:12   #12
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

We're getting close to an End (I think) ...

Thanks "nartreb" that's what I thought (and hoped for), thereby ...

emmae as in:
• in the hard-to-place Sunbird ssp. Nectarinia/Leptocoma sperata/brasiliana emmae DELACOUR & JABOILLE 1928 (OD in post #1, first link), as "Leptocoma braziliana [sic] emmæ", dedicated ("in honour of Mme E. Jabouille") by Dealacour, (on behalf of P. Jabouille)

... which most likely was aimed at Jabouille's dear Mother Emma Jabouille (1855?), née Lejeune, whose full name (when "her" Sunbird was described) seems to have/had been Emma Jenny Jabouille, ... wife (post-1873) of Louis Arthur Jabouille (1842–1887), Mother of the Author (Auctor) Pierre Charles Édmond Jabouille* (1875–1947).

[... as well as the other siblings mentioned/listed in the foot-note (also found by Martin) here. incl. his (youngest) Brother Paul Louis Édmond Jabouille (born 1884), whose wife, in his/her turn, was; Simone Gabrielle née Lasalle.]

Doesn't the (French) text, in that foot-note, say that Emma died the ("8 août"/8 august) in 1895, or?

Anyone think otherwise?

To me (just like Martin suggested/hinted at, in post #1, and as "nartreb" assumed in post #4, and concluded in post #11), it does look like the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014) once again (sigh!) simply read in (far) too much from the ODs very short dedication: "N.B.—Named in honour of Mme E. Jabouille."

[N.B. = (Latin) Nota Bene/nota bene , meaning; "note well", or "take notice of" alt. "pay special attention to"]

Björn

PS. Note; without yet having read (nor seen) Delacour's (French) Obituary I wouldn't dare to claim that it truly was aimed at his Mother. It could be, or not. It certainly seems to be. We'll see ...

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 14:21.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 12:38   #13
nartreb

The "deceased 8 August 1895" refers to Emma's father, or perhaps to Louis-Arthur Jouillet -- it's a very long and confusing sentence-- but it's in the masculine form so it' can't be referring to Emma.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 12:54   #14
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Ok, one small backstep (tiny correction/modification), so how about:

emmae as in:
• in the hard-to-place Sunbird ssp. Nectarinia/Leptocoma sperata/brasiliana emmae DELACOUR & JABOILLE 1928 (OD in post #1, first link), as "Leptocoma braziliana [sic] emmæ", dedicated ("in honour of Mme E. Jabouille") by Dealacour, (on behalf of P. Jabouille)

... which most likely was aimed at Jabouille's dear Mother Emma Jabouille (born 1855), née Lejeune, whose full name (when "her" Sunbird was described) seems to have/had been Emma Jenny Jabouille, ... wife (post-1873) of Louis Arthur Jabouille (1842–1887), Mother of the Author (Auctor) Pierre Charles Édmond Jabouille (1875–1947), ... and onwards (as in earlier posts).

Better?

I guess (and hope) that the Obituary, of "Pierre Jabouille 1875–1947", published in L'Oiseau (et la Revue Française d'Ornithologie) 17 (1947): pp. XIX–XXIII, can erase any last remaining uncertainty/hesitation/doubts.

We'll see (if anyone can find it?) ...

/B
---

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 14:19.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 13:03   #15
Taphrospilus

I would speculate she was still alive in 1927 (date of the OD) and/or just died around that time? Nothing more in the obituary.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 13:10.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 13:42   #16
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
I would speculate she was still alive in 1927 (date of the OD) and/or just died around that time? Nothing more in the obituary.
Maybe somewhat picky/pernickety, yes; but the "date of the OD" was 1928 (see page 125); "... collected in Indo-China during their fourth expedition in 1927-1928 :— ... ", published in BBOC No. CCCXXV, from a "Meeting of the Club ... on Wednesday, June 13, 1928 (p.121).

/B

PS. The Type itself, a Male of "Leptocoma braziliana emmæ", was collected on the" Island of Phu-Quoc" on "30.XII.27" (see Hennache & Dickinson, 2000: here, p.618, or the OD itself). A bird collected the day before New Year's Eve makes it pretty hard to describe it, and have it published, the same year, doesn't it?
--

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 15:34. Reason: PS. (just to be safe, re. the year of publication)
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 14:10   #17
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Just to stop anyone from unwarranted work ...

Martin ('Taphrospilus') have kindly sent me the demanded: "NECROLOGIE; PIERRE JABOUILLE 1875 - 1947" (from/in Bulletin de la Société Ornithologique de France), but ... as I don't know French, I simply can't understand much of it (close to nothing) ...

I wonder if someone else feel like having a look at it?

If so, send me an e-mail-address (in BirdForum's Private Meassage system), and I will forward it.

[Due to copyright rules I cannot post it here]

/B

PS. Martin, I hope this is ok by you?
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 16:06   #18
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Post The jovial and open Jabouille

The same word "célibataire" is also found on the very first page of this text (see attached excerpt), but I´m not sure of the context.
Quote:
Quote:
Jovial et ouvert, Jabouille ne me cacha pas sa satisfaction de me voir jeune et célibataire. Une rumeur maligne lui avait fait craindre l’arrivée d’un vieux professeur solonnel accompagné de sa famille . . .
Quote:
Google Translate: Jovial and open, Jabouille did not hide from me his satisfaction at seeing me young and single. A malicious rumor had made him fear the arrival of an old solitary professor accompanied by his family. . .
Maybe there's a very simple reason of why Jabouille didn't have a (or any) wife? That is, if this Google Translation is somewhat accurate of course. Jovial and open, as in simply; gay (in it's contemporary, or modern, meaning) ... ?

Could be, or not.

/B
--
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Necrologie ... Jabouille.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	733396  

Last edited by Calalp : Sunday 2nd August 2020 at 09:00. Reason: "comma, after the third word"
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 22:10   #19
nartreb

Google translate got it right, except you put a period where the text had a comma, after the third word.

I think you're stretching quite a bit on translating "jovial and open" to "gay". There are a number of 19th-C expressions that hint at homosexuality while maintaining deniability ("gai" would be one), but I've never seen "jovial" used that way.

You might be right about the reason he didn't marry, but all this passage tells us is that he liked being single.
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 09:32   #20
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nartreb View Post
Google translate got it right, except you put a period where the text had a comma, after the third word.
You also wrote 'solennel' (= solemn, pompous) 'solonnel', which google did not understand and, for some reason, chose to render as 'solitary'.
Quote:
I think you're stretching quite a bit on translating "jovial and open" to "gay". There are a number of 19th-C expressions that hint at homosexuality while maintaining deniability ("gai" would be one), but I've never seen "jovial" used that way.
I would understand 'gai', applied to a person in a standard context, as meaning happy and unworried. If the context allows it, it can hint at sexual freedom (as in 'le gai Paris'), but not necessarily homosexuality. The word started being associated to homosexuality after it had entered English.
The main image that 'jovial et ouvert' brings to my mind is a smiling face.
Quote:
You might be right about the reason he didn't marry, but all this passage tells us is that he liked being single.
I'd understand it as suggesting he prefered field expeditions with a young and single companion.
(I certainly know birders who never married without being gays, and who prefer birding trips with people who do not bring a non-birding family with them. Don't you? )
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 10:37   #21
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Sigh, and sorry, but I didn't intend to stretch anything, nor did I (strictly speaking) translate "jovial and open" into "gay". I just wanted to hint at what I believed could be a possible reason of why Jabouille's supposed/alleged wife seems to be, or could be, so hard to find.

Either way; it's always tricky (and somewhat risky) trying to interpret the finer nuances in language from a text translated over and over (from French, to English, to Swedish), and certainly so when not understanding French, not fluent in English, as well as uncertain of the first translation, even more so when dealing with such a short excerpt.

Of course, Jabouille could have been "straight as a fiddle", or not, in this context; nothing but happy to meet a guy in the same age, free to roam the surroundings, when he realized that Delacour wasn't an old, pompous professor.

And thanks Laurent, for the remark on the erroneous 'solonnel', you're perfectly right (should have been 'solennel' (solemn). Typo, my slippery fingers, sorry. I really should try to stay away from these French guys (and texts), but ... what can one do? When the searchlight is switched on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
(I certainly know birders who never married without being gays, and who prefer birding trips with people who do not bring a non-birding family with them. Don't you? )
I certainly do! I was one of them myself, for years and year (read; decades), before I met my wife ...

That's way before I ended up here, nowadays somewhat sadly (no blame on her part) spending most of my 'birding' activities in front of a screen.

Björn
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 11:29   #22
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

However, let's leave Jabouille's sexual orientation, and while we wait for the results of more knowledgeable readers of the French Obituary, let's focus on trying to find the Death year of his dear Mother Emma, who (at this point) seems to be the most likely dedicatee.

Thereby, let's return to Pierre Jabouille's, Death record (from 1947, see Martins second last link in post #1, or/alt. the attached jpg, in #6) where I think we might find a possible clue, that maybe could take us a bit further ... as we're told [my blue]:
Quote:
Pierre Charles Edmond JABOUILLE, ...chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur, Resident supérieur Honoraire des Colonies, fils de Arthur Jabouille, et de Emma Jenny Lejeune, ...
The odd thing is that I cannot find Pierre Jabouille himself, in Base Léonore (here, alt. here) , where we normally find all (or most) of those Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur ... !?
Quote:
La base Léonore donne accès aux dossiers nominatifs des personnes nommées ou promues dans l'Ordre de la Légion d'honneur depuis 1802 et décédées avant 1977. ... / Google Translate: The Léonore database provides access to the nominative files of persons appointed or promoted to the Order of the Legion of Honor since 1802 and who died before 1977. ...
Usually there are several documents on every single Officier/Chevalier/Commandeur de la Légion d'Honneur, but in Pierre Jabouille's case ... nothing.

Either way; it does look like he (at some point) was made Chevalier ... (possibly in 1925?), see: Pluie Rouge: Titulaire civils de la Légion d'Honneur en Indochine (... sont absent de la base Léonore, qui se limite aux dossiers versés aux Archives nationales), here (p.94 of 215); "Mise en ligne : 25 juin 2014/Dernière modification : 31 janvier 2020", where we're told:
Quote:
Jabouille (Pierre-Charles-Edmond), administrateur de 1re classe des services civils de l'Indochine; 28 ans 6.mois 21 jours de services, dont 18 ans 4 mois 12 jours aux coIonies;
That's what I call a detailed record (of time in service)!

But no trace what-so-ever of an even possible wife of Pierre Jabouille (if he ever had one, of course)

/B

PS. And what's this about?
Quote:
JABOUILLE (Pierre, Charles, Edmond) 1904, 5 sept. (on p.44)
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 14:21   #23
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Léonore continuation ... in the search for Emma (i.e. her Death)

Oddly in Base Léonore (see the earlier link/s, in post #22) is that the link/documents for "JABOUILLE, Louis Arthur" [which ought to be his dear Father, or (less likely) a namesake?] takes us, at least me, to a certain "André Jabot"?!? Which (to me, not understanding French) looks like just an erroneous link. And when I take a look at "JABOT, André" I find myself starring at the documents of a "Alexandre (Charles Sy/ilvestre) Jabouin" ... ?

What's happened with Base Léonore? Earlier it has worked perfectly ...

BUT (even weirder!) when I click on the links for "JABOILLE Severin Gabriel" (born "1895/04/30") I suddenly find the documents for "Louis Arthur Jabouille" (born 1842), at/in Ruffec!!! Document 5 (here, of 7) does tell us something about his Family.

Though, if it tells us anything useful I cannot say, but hopefully so?

/B

PPS. Does anyone else have similar trouble with Léonore? Or is it maybe my resent update (last Tuesday) to macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.6), that makes dear Léonore a bit intractable?

Last edited by Calalp : Sunday 2nd August 2020 at 16:25. Reason: PS.
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 21:54   #24
nartreb

Quick summary of Delacour's _necrologie_ of Pierre Jabouille: there's not much that interests us.

Jabouille first went to Indochina in 1905, where he had a post in the colonial government. Delacroix met him there in late 1923 or early 1924. (Specifically, in Quang Tri.) (Note that Jabouille would have been in his late thirties -- no longer very young himself.)

The two men got along famously, and returned briefly to France together in 1924, then both returned to Indochina in 1925, continuing to collaborate on ornithology.

While in Indochina, Jabouille amassed a collection (both zoological and archaeological) which became the Museum of Hue.

Jabouille retired (to France) in 1933, but continued working with Delacroix on Indochinese ornithology. (It's not clear how much time Delacroix spent in Indochina vs France during this period, but I get the impression that Delacroix favored expeditions of a few months with substantial time in France between them.)

At this stage Jabouille started having unspecified health problems, which Delacroix blames on "colonial life". But the two men continued working together until separated by the war.

There's nothing about any particular species of bird.

No mention of a wife or any other companion. (The word "gai" does appear, but in a quite innocent context.) No mention of his parents, either.

I can't help speculating that some of the "colonial" disease might have been venereal.
He would have had endless opportunities to be, um, social with the native population.
That would help explain why Jabouille never married -- regardless of his tastes in gender.

Overall the Necrologie is consistent with Pierre Jabouille being a lifelong bachelor, but tells us nothing else about Emma.

Last edited by nartreb : Sunday 2nd August 2020 at 22:01.
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 22:36   #25
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thanks!

Thereby, the search goes on ...

More of about Pierre Jabouille's Father (all in French); here [far down the page, from No. 124/5 - 129, (in grey, to the left of the text itself)]:
Quote:
Jabouille (Louis Arthur)
Né à Ruffec (Charente) le 23 octobre 1842 d’Edmond Thomas, lieutenant de gendarmerie, chev. L.H. et de Rose Petit. Marié (d’après l’acte de décès) à Poitiers (Vienne) à Emma Jenny Lejeune, 31 ans, née à Besançon (Doubs), dont il eut quatre enfants. Mort à Paris (8e) le 25 février 1887.

Préfet de Maine-et-Loire, 1/15 mai 1882 - 25 avril 1885.
Ami personnel de Jules Grévy, Jabouille incarne la figure du « Préfet de choc » (Isabelle Emeriau). Il arrive en Maine-et-Loire au cours de l’année 1882, et entend mener une véritable guerre contre le cléricalisme. C’est une mission difficile ...

... and onwards.
And; even more (also in French) about several members of the Jabouille Family (here, far down the page), in a blog-post from "dimanche 20 juillet 2014", covering the Jabouilles, from "François Jabouille (1786-1728)", all the way until "our guy" Pierre and his Father (as well as his youngest Brother):
Quote:
Louis Arthur Jabouille, naquit le 23 octobre 1842 à Ruffec. ... Ce fut à Saintes, qu'il épousa, le 16 septembre 1873, Emma Jenny Lejeune, fille de Charles Émile, chef d'exploitation au chemin de fer des Charentes, et de Victorine Henriette Brunet. ...
[...]
Si j'en crois l'ordonnance, ce dernier Jabouille a dû être anobli automatiquement, mais son acte de décès ne fait aucune mention d'un anoblissement. Son fils aîné, Pierre Charles Edmond Jabouille, naquit le 25 novembre 1875 à Saintes. A ma grande surprise, je découvrais que celui-ci possède une fiche wikipedia : il fut un ornithologue ayant travaillé en Indochine. Il mourut le 14 mai 1947 à Paris-16e. J'ignore si sa lignée se poursuit. Il avait un frère, Paul Louis Edmond Jabouille, né le 6 février 1884 à Angers, qui fut marié, le 4 juin 1917 à Soleure (Suisse), à Simone Gabrielle Lasalle.
Maybe of some help?

/B
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: