• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At last.... (1 Viewer)

cango

....some sun and a LONG TAILED TIT!!! (in front of the camera, that is!! ;-)

enjoy!

Attachments

• longtit.jpg
    longtit.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 164
  • nuthatch.jpg
    nuthatch.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 130
  • bluetit.jpg
    bluetit.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 145
Very nicely done. When you say in front of camera, how far away ? Don't tell me it's taken with a Standard lens only LOL.

6-8 meters away, I think. (i have 80mm extension tube for close(er) focus)
all with 600mm celestron 80ed/olympus E-3, no converter/barlow etc.

Personally, for me, it's best to get as close as possible to the smallest birds, regarding detail. (within 10 meters)
And I'm not sure why, but greenfinches always seem to show more feather detail than other smaller birds (my experience) I guess it has to do how the feathers in the back and around the neck are buildt.

First one here is uncropped, and second is 100% portion of it.

(here a slight noise reduction with Topaz applied to the 100% portion. I always shoot raw and PP with lightroom for contrast/etc)

Attachments

• XZ067292.jpg
    XZ067292.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 131
  • XZ067292-2.jpg
    XZ067292-2.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 138
All of them are great, love the colouring of the Long Tailed Tit's pale head compared to the ones we get in the UK. Do you use some sort of hide to get that close to the birds?

Paul.

no, no hide.

But food :)
I buildt 2 of these, and have them out in the woods. We have had more snow than usual and colder, so the little ones need some help. In return I expect them to pose nicely for me.

(this is the bigger one, that holds about 25kg, the smaller one holds about 18kg. They last ca 5-6 days...)

Attachments

• PC254885.jpg
    PC254885.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 99
  • XZ067338.jpg
    XZ067338.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 95
  • XZ067407-2.jpg
    XZ067407-2.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Personally, for me, it's best to get as close as possible to the smallest birds, regarding detail. (within 10 meters)
And I'm not sure why, but greenfinches always seem to show more feather detail than other smaller birds (my experience) I guess it has to do how the feathers in the back and around the neck are buildt.

First one here is uncropped, and second is 100% portion of it.

(here a slight noise reduction with Topaz applied to the 100% portion. I always shoot raw and PP with lightroom for contrast/etc)

Very nicely done. The only bird I can get close to that range without hide would be the Tree Sparrow and they too produce great details. White-breasted Wood Swallow (Artamus leucorhynchus) on the other hand produce no details at all even if taken 20ft away. They have such fine feathers.

no, no hide.

But food :)
I buildt 2 of these, and have them out in the woods. We have had more snow than usual and colder, so the little ones need some help. In return I expect them to pose nicely for me.

(this is the bigger one, that holds about 25kg, the smaller one holds about 18kg. They last ca 5-6 days...)

That works out to almost 9 kg a day, very big reward for posing for you.

Do you mean we men can multitask? ;-)

We sure can. I've read about forumers shooting garden birds from their patios on a rocking chair with a couple of beers. This will have double effect. You either get all burr shots are super steady shots.:-O

Where you are, are out of reach for me otherwise I would love to shot there sometime but being in summer whole year round, I would be getting all frozen shots this time around.

Thanks for sharing and the laugh.

some from today/yesterday

was lucky today to get some shots at the Dipper. The place is quite dark with pockets of light (when the sun happens to show itself), so it's no so easy to shoot with the scope. Enjoy. All uncropped. (scope 600mm and E-3)

Attachments

• XZ127733.jpg
    XZ127733.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 102
  • XZ117521-Edit.jpg
    XZ117521-Edit.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 99
  • XZ127647-Edit.jpg
    XZ127647-Edit.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 111
Nice and the light is really good agian, Nuthatch is really nice. We get Dippers near here where I live but I've never got to go and see them yet. Ordered myself some camo netting today so hopefully will get some good close shots of birds this year.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back