• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus sp-350 (1 Viewer)

photokai

Hi, I'm now using a 82mm ED telescope and are planning to buy a DC to join the digicoping family. I found the Olympus sp-350 in the 2nd hand market, it seems to be a good DC (8m pixels and 3x optical zoom). Is it a suitable DC for digicoping?

Kai

photokai said:
Hi, I'm now using a 82mm ED telescope and are planning to buy a DC to join the digicoping family. I found the Olympus sp-350 in the 2nd hand market, it seems to be a good DC (8m pixels and 3x optical zoom). Is it a suitable DC for digicoping?

Kai

Yes Kai, it should be very suitable for digiscoping. There are a few things that could be improved on it - as with all of them - but it is one of the better cameras on the market at the moment.
The biggest problem is battery life, or rather lack of it, with AA Alkalines and NiMh rechargeables, however there is a firmware update available from Olympus website (I think it's version 1.3) that greatly improves the use with NiMh. Visit their website for more info on this, you can also download the user manuals there.

Below is a link to a review of the 350 that gives a good idea of what the camera can do.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SP350/SP35A.HTM

regards

John

Thanks John,

I'm looking at exactly the same camera as a pocket go any/everywhere camera, to go with my a bit too heavy to take everywhere Nikon D70 !

eBay have them at £142 *new* on a regular basis from one dealer ;)

g8ina said:
Thanks John,

I'm looking at exactly the same camera as a pocket go any/everywhere camera, to go with my a bit too heavy to take everywhere Nikon D70 !

eBay have them at £142 *new* on a regular basis from one dealer ;)

That sounds a great bargain David, too good to miss.

Just check the battery life as soon as possible with NiMh rechargeables, if it doesn't seem very good download the firmware update. I believe there is a 'camera updates' icon on the Olympus software disc, use this to take you directly to it.

regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back