• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 small additions to various Etymologies (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some more additional info regarding ten birds I´ve happened to stumble upon while searching for others …

Note: I haven´t gone the full length researching them, as they just happened to pop up during my own research, but I thought these minor additions could be worth to mention as mere clues for any (or anyone else's) possible future attempts to find the full story behind them!?

No. 1 – alius
● in Nicobar Scops-Owl Otus alius RASMUSSEN 1998
= See the HBW Alive Key: "… encapsulates the family name of .." + … the Indian ornithologist Humayun Abdulali (1914–2001).

No. 2 – balzani
● the subspecies Thalurania furcata balzani SIMON 1896 as "Thalurania balzani" (here): "… par M. le Dr. Balzan, professeur à lʼuniversité dʼ Asuncion."
= most likely the Italian scientist, explorer, rubber trade investigator, collector and multi-talented naturalist, botanist, zoologist, entomologist, scorpion-expert etc. etc. Professor Luigi Balzan (1865–1893), originally member of the Società Geografica Italiana, who emigrated to South America, traveled Paraguay and Bolivia – professor of natural history in the University of Paraguay (today's Universidad Columbia del Paraguay), in Asunción.

No. 3 – bloodi
● in the invalid subspecies "Oreocharis arfaki bloodi" GYLDENSTOLPE 1955: "Named in honour of Captain Ned Blood who was of the greatest assistance to me during our most interesting stay [i. e. 1951] in the interior of New Guinea." [Syn. of monotypic Oreocharis arfaki MEYER 1875]
= the Australian District Officer (Government Official) and sheep farmer , but also noted naturalist and explorer of New Guinea; Captain Ned B. Blood (xxxx-xxxx)*, manager and first leader of the Hallstrom Livestock and Fauna Station (that he set up in 1950), outside the small native community Nondugl, Wahgi Valley, Western highlands, New Guinea.

*He was still alive in 1954, see link (here), in charge of yet another Field station and even later, acknowledged in a 1974 scientific publication (here, p. 316), at that time living in Madang, on the northern coast of mainland Papua New Guinea.

No. 4 – buxtoni
●… in the invalid "Brachypteryx buxtoni" TWEEDDALE 1877: [syn. Blyth's Babbler Trichastoma rostratum BLYTH 1842 …or?]
= according to Tweeddale's OD (here) described from "… a collection made by Mr. Edmund Charles Buxton in the Lampong district of Sumatra."

I guess he´s the same guy mentioned only as "E. C. Buxton" in the HBW Alive Key?

No. 5 – durazzi
● the invalid "Emberiza Durazzi" BONAPARTE 1832: "Ortolano del Durazzo … al signor Marchese Carlo Durazzo Patrizio Genovese, cultore zelantissimo della Ornitologia, …". See Type description (here). [syn. Emberiza pusilla PALLAS 1776].
= most likely the Italian Noble, ornithologist and entomologist; Marquis (Marchese) Carlo Durazzo ( 1803–1862).

No. 6 – grindae
● the subspecies "Grinda Bush-tit" or "Grinda's Titmouse" Psaltriparus minimus grindae RIDGWAY 1883 as "Psaltriparus grindæ" (on reguest by its collector Lyman Belding, who collected the type the 2nd of February 1883): "I take much pleasure in dedicating this species in honor of my good friend Sr. Don Francisco C. Grinda, of La Paz, as a slight token of my appreciation of his generous impulses and gentlemanly qualities of head and hart.—L. B."
= The Mexican Administrator (de la Aduana Marítima de La Paz), collector of customs; Don Francisco C. Grinda (xxxxxxxx), that is of La Paz, district of Baja California (Lower California), Western Mexico.

No. 7 – hina
● … in the mysterious "Anas hina" – explained in Jobling's HBW Alive Key (today) as:
hina
Based on “Hina Teal” (from China) of Latham 1785, and Anas hina J. Gmelin, 1789 (both unident.); perhaps in error for China or a local name, or from Gr. ἱνα hina where (syn. Biziura lobata).
= … according to Latham 1824 (A General History of Birds, vol 10, p. 376. – here) … it´s apparently a local Chinese name "Hina-a"!

No. 8 – volkmanni
● the most often invalid (by some considered a subspecies) Turtur chalcospilos "volkmanni " REICHENOW 1902 as "Chalcopelia chalcospilos volkmanni"
= the German Army officer, Archaeologist and Philologist Richard D. Volkmann (1870–1954)

No. 9 – webbiana and webbianus
● Vinous-throated Parrotbill Paradoxornis webbianus alt. Sinosuthora webbiana GOULD 1852: as "Suthora Webbiana"
= "Collected and presented by J. Webb", according to NHM , see link (here)

No. 10 – yvettae
● the subspecies Pericrocotus ethologus yvettae BANGS 1921
= the French-US explorer, photographer and writer Yvette Borup Andrews (1891–1959) née Borup, first wife of the US Explorer Roy Chapman Andrews (1884-1960)*

Yvette Borup was born 28 February 1891, in Paris, France …she married Roy Chapman Andrews the 7th of October 1914 and divorced him 30 March 1930 … and, after having retired, she finally died 12 April 1959, in Burgos, Spain – in the age of 68. See link to Death Certificate (here)

*Her former husband is commemorated in for example, the hard-to-place subspecies: Chrysocolaptes lucidus/guttacristatus andrewsi AMADON 1943

That´s those ten!

Cheers!

PS. And; good luck to anyone trying to find even more!

Last edited:
That was quick!

No. 8 – volkmanni
● the most often invalid (by some considered a subspecies) Turtur chalcospilos "volkmanni " REICHENOW 1902 as "Chalcopelia chalcospilos volkmanni"
= the German Army officer, Archaeologist and Philologist Richard D. Volkmann (1870–1954)

Directly James managed to add even more!

From the HBW Alive Key today:

volkmanni
Maj. Richard Dietrich Volkmann (1870-1954) German Army in German South West Africa 1894-1906, Director of Lüderitz Bay Company 1906, Commandant of Bucharest Garrison 1916-1918 (syn. Turtur chalcospilos).

Well done!

PS. More on No. 3: Neptune ('Ned') Beresford Blood … of the Department of Agriculture, Stock and Fisheries … See link (here) ... and here [far down the page, with a photo (if him?) of "Neptune Newcombe Beresford Lloyd Blood"]!? Or this one; Neptune Newcome Beresford Blood!?

Last edited:
10 + 1 = 11

Here´s another "missing" Mr. Buxton ...

No. 11buxtoni
● … in the invalid "Alauda buxtoni" ALLEN 1905 [syn. Alauda arvensis pekinensis]
= most likely the US naturalist and collector (later successful businessman and banker) Norman G. Buxton (1872–1947), of Johnstown, Ohio, who discovered this bird the 1st of May 1901, and thereafter collected five specimens the following months, during the Jesup North Pacific Expedition to Siberia (1900-1902). Link to OD (here), No. 94 (page 247). He had earlier participated in the McIlhenny Expedition 1897-98, to Alaska.
---

Last edited:
11 + 1 = 12

Well, nothing on TV ... so here´s:

No. 12 – aagaardi
● in the subspecies Ketupa ketupu aagaardi NEUMANN 1935 as "Bubo ketupu aagaardi": "Named after Herr C. J. Aagaard, the well-known author of the ʻBirds of Bangkok." (OD, here)
= the Danish naturalist and collector Carl Johan Aagaard (1882–1950), whose full name seem to have been Carl Johan Ove Mønster Aagaard.

Born 11th of September 1882 i Vester Hornum, Aalborg, Denmark, longtime resident of Thailand (from 1910 till 1932), Author of Common Birds in Bangkok (1930) and later, after his return to Denmark; poultry breeder and engineer. … and he died on the 3rd of June 1950 in Frederikshøj, Hadsund, Aalborg, Denmark.

Amendment … of No. #12

I saw that James was hesitating on Mr. Aagaard in his HBW Alive Key ...

So here´s a small amendment, and correction, of aagaardi … once again due to that often (in English) changed K in Karl turning it to C, as Carl

On page 12 in the long article Birds of Northern Thailand … (in Bulletin of the United States National Museum) Herbert Girton Deignan writes the name of Mr. Aagaard as: "Carl Johan (Ove Mønster) Aagaard (1882-xxx)", see link (here), but his (Danish) name seem to have been written; Karl Johan Aagaard, or in full; Karl Johan Ove Mønster Aagaard (1882-1950). See link (here).

Mønster was simply his Mothers name. If Mønster ever was included in his own "official" name I do not know. Note that Karl's Child (Barn) [his Son], was born in Bangkok.

It just have to be him, doesn't it?

---

PS. That´s what happens when your just browsing around, for a short while, when "nothing´s on TV", simply hoping to make a quick find! Sorry for confusing things! I´ll be more careful next time ...
x

Last edited:
12 + 1 = 13

No. 13 thilohoffmanni & (the English Common name) Serendib

● ... in the relatively newly discovered (heard 1995, seen 2001 and described as) Otus thilohoffmanni WARAKAGODA & RASMUSSEN 2004 a k a Serendib Scops Owl.

See article in Birding Asia 2006 (here), by its discoverer Deepal Warakagoda himself, where he writes (on p.69):
"The type description was published in June 2004 (Warakagoda & Rasmussen 2004). The species given the scientific name Otus thilohoffmanni after Thilo W. Hoffmann, Sri Lanka’s leading worker for nature conservation, particularly for his role in saving Sinharaja, where it was discovered. ‘Serendib’ was chosen as being an ancient name for Sri Lanka and to signify the serendipity of the discovery."
= the Swiss ornithologist, conservationist, agronomist, multi-biologist and activist etc. etc. Thilo Walter Hoffmann (1922–2014), "the most senior environmentalist and ornithologist of Sri Lanka, …", who also got the honourary title “Sri Lanka Ratna”. He passed away in May (dates differ) earlier this year (2014) in Switzerland, at the age of 92, having spent the past 68 years in Sri Lanka (he arrived there in October 1946!) … Obituaries (here, here and here)

13 + 1 = 14

Just a quick one… without checking it any further, I just (once again) simply happened to stumble upon it!? And him.

No. 14 – nagtglasii
● ... in the invalid "Buceros nagtglasii" SCHLEGEL 1863 [syn. (Tropicranus) Tockus hartlaubi GOULD 1861]

According to James's HBW Alive Key (today):
nagtglasii
Cornelis Johannes Marius Nagtglas (fl. 1871) Dutch colonial administrator, Gov. of Dutch Gold Coast Settlements 1858-1862, 1869-1871 (syn. Tropicranus hartlaubi).
… surely it must be the same guy;Cornelis Johannes Marius Nagtglas (18141897) ... !? See Wikipedia link (here).

Or?

He is also commemorated in, for example; Nagtglas's African dormouse Graphiurus nagtglasii JENTINK 1888
---

Last edited:
14 + 1 = 15

And; just two small, short additions … regarding:

No. 15ascensi
● in the the subspecies Macronyx fuellebornii ascensi SALVADORI 1907
= the almost totally unknown Italian Doctor (Dottore) Michele Ascenso (xxxx-xxxx), of San Remo, collector in Central Africa in the early 1900's.

See OD (here) on p. 6, in No.570 (+ the preceeding three markers) … as well as these ones; here and here.

To find out even more we sure need someone keen, with far better knowledge of Italian! Or of some French?

Good luck!
x

Last edited:
The book "History of the city of Ventimiglia" was published in 1857. And in it, if I have it right, the author thanks the priest Michele Ascenso for helping with the research.

So he would have been close to 65 years old in 1900, maybe older. But he still could be the dedicatee, I suppose. So far I have found nothing else.

Just a quick one… without checking it any further, I just (once again) simply happened to stumble upon it!? And him.

No. 14 – nagtglasii
● ... in the invalid "Buceros nagtglasii" SCHLEGEL 1863 [syn. (Tropicranus) Tockus hartlaubi GOULD 1861]

According to James's HBW Alive Key (today):… surely it must be the same guy;Cornelis Johannes Marius Nagtglas (18141897) ... !? See Wikipedia link (here).

Or?

He is also commemorated in, for example; Nagtglas's African dormouse Graphiurus nagtglasii JENTINK 1888
---

It is for sure: Cornelis Johannes Marius Nagtglas – Dutch. B. 16.05.1814, Utrecht, UT - D. 19.01.1897, Tonsel, Harderwijk, Gld. Approx. 700 birds where sent to Naturalis (Leiden), including new species as Congo Serpent-eagle Dryotriorchis spectabilis (1863) and Red-billed Dwarf Hornbill Tockus camurus pulchrirostris

15 + 1 = 16

Here´s yet another small addition on an eponym, this time regarding;

No. 16 whymperi
● in the subspecies Prunella collaris whymperi STUART BAKER 1915 as "Laiscopus collaris whymperi"
= the British ornithologist, oologist, big-game-hunter, traveler and collector Samuel ("Sam") Leigh Whymper (1857–1941), whose Family name the Indian natives found hard to pronounce … thereby calling him "Bumper" or "Bumper Sahib" – who personally collected the Type (see NHM, here).

More info of this "Sam" Whymper, see his Obituary in Ibis 84 (2) pp. 287-281 (here)

16 + 1 = 17

And here goes … another last "Christmas time puzzle" of mine:

No. 17 – watlingi
● in the Extinct (sub-fossil) Viti Levu Rail Vitirallus watlingi WORTHY 2004 (OD here):
"ETYMOLOGY: The species is named after Dr Dick Watling who has contributed greatly to knowledge of the ornithology of Fiji."
= the "British" (?), at least of British Origin, later Fijian (he has Double Citizenship: both in UK and Fiji), ornithologist, writer (among other works of several Field Guides) and environmentalist Dr Richard "Dick" John Watling, (born 1951, in Kampala, Uganda), educated in the UK, etc. etc. … More on him (here, with a photo of the man himself, and his CV) or here. More of "his" rail (here) or here.

PS. Trevor Worthy also, in the same article, coined the Generic name of Vitirallus (not, as it is sometimes written; "Vittirallus") with the following explanation:
"ETYMOLOGY: The generic name is derived from "Viti" referring to the island of origin in Fiji [= Viti Levu], and "rallus" for rails. Gender is masculine."

Ok, Christmas is close to its end ... no more "puzzles" for a while.

Over and out!
---

Last edited:
17 + 1 = 18

No. 18 – voelckeri
● in the subspecies Seicercus ruficapilla voelckeri ROBERTS 1941 as "Seicercus ruficapillus voelckeri"

= the British (or British-South African?) Accountant and later businessman Mr. John Voelcker (18981968)

He was born, raised and educated in the UK and moved to South Africa in 1830, where he established himself in Johannesburg, onwards also as a well-reputed ornithologist and editor/publisher, from 1939 General Manager of African Explosives, from 1941 till 1959 President of the South African Ornithological Society, Chairman of the S. A. Bird Book Fund (today known as John Voelcker Bird Book Fund) etc. etc. …

More on him, see his Obituary, in Ostrich: Journal of African Ornithology 39 (1): p. 48 (or here)

Enjoy!

---

And James,
How come you´re hesitating (in your HBW Alive Key) on the Lifespan of the people commemorated in:
No. 14 – nagtglasi (See Post #7 & 10, this thread)
… and the edithae (in the thread Eponyms in German journals)

Any particular reasons? Just curious … for my own MS.

Björn,
No reticence; names just pop under the radar every now and again. I am slowly editing my MS and HBWAlive Key again (I've got as far as Hypodes this time), to ensure that each entry can stand on its own. Although I try to deal with errors, corrections, and novel information a.s.a.p., if the bare bones of eponyms are correctly shown in the Key the minutiae (full names, full dates, further biographical details, etc) I tend to leave until gaps appear in my schedule. I crave the patience and indulgence of readers.
James

James, you´re doing it the way it ought to be done.

And crave you should ...

Fully understandable, there is, for sure, no rush ... it all takes (and both should and must take) whatever time is required, to get it right in the end.

Sorry if my reply seemed impatient, it wasn´t my intention ... I just got worried I got those eponyms wrong on my behalf (i. e. in my MS)!

indulgently

Björn

18 + 1 = 19

Just a quick note, while checking some Swedes by the name Andersson I happened to stumble upon this guy …

No. 19 – andersoni
… as in the extinct "andersoni " GRAY 1862 (based on Tetrao australis ANDERSON, in Bank's MS) a k a "Anderson's Megapode"
= the Scottish Doctor William Anderson (1750-1778), assistant-Surgeon (Surgeon's Mate) on Cook's second voyage as well as Surgeon and (unofficial) naturalist (appointed by Captain James Cook himself) on their fatal third Voyage etc. etc..

See the following links; here, here or here.

19 + 1 = 20

No. 20 - harrisoni
… in the subspecies (Carduelis) Chloris chloris harrisoni CLANCEY 1940
= the British ornithologist and taxidermist James Maurice Harrison (1892–1971). Obituary (here)

No. 10 – yvettae
● the subspecies Pericrocotus ethologus yvettae BANGS 1921
= the French-US explorer, photographer and writer Yvette Borup Andrews (1891–1959) née Borup, first wife of the US Explorer Roy Chapman Andrews (1884-1960)*

Yvette Borup was born 28 February 1891, in Paris, France …she married Roy Chapman Andrews the 7th of October 1914 and divorced him 30 March 1930 … and, after having retired, she finally died 12 April 1959, in Burgos, Spain – in the age of 68. See link to Death Certificate (here)

*Her former husband is commemorated in for example, the hard-to-place subspecies: Chrysocolaptes lucidus/guttacristatus andrewsi AMADON 1943

That´s those ten!

Cheers!

PS. And; good luck to anyone trying to find even more!

Just wondering if not Yvette Huen Andrews née Borup?

By the way The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Yvette Andrews née Borup was the wife (1914) of Roy Chapman Andrews (q.v.). She co-led the Asiatic Zoological Expedition for the AMNH to China (1916–1917) and was principal photographer. vette and Roy co-wrote the expedition report, Camps and Trails in China (1918). They later divorced (1930).

Martin, I don't see why this would be a better version?

If you look at the link to the Official Death certificate you'll see that it clearly states:
Name in full: Yvette Borup ANDREWS ...

Why would a, or any, Geni page (managed by an anonymous "Private user") be more reliable than a scanned document "REPORT OF THE DEATH OF AN AMERICAN CITIZEN" from the Department of State/Foreign Service of the United States of America ... ?

To me it's tricky to find a more reliable reference than such a document/Record. If they claim "Name in full" I would like to think that this is, or was, her full name.

Why not?

Björn

PS. In my mind the only document that would match (or surpass) it, would be a record of her Birth, or Baptism. If such a document would be found I might reconsider. ;)

Attachments

• Yvette Borup ANDREWS.jpg
    Yvette Borup ANDREWS.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back