• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 Ultravid (2 Viewers)

My 7x42 UVHD is back. Leica says there was nothing to fix. I guess the lenses are now really clean.
It's a really nice glass, albeit no special sparkle.

As I'm a painter and not a bird watcher, maybe good enough is good enough and it's time to get on with my life. If I really feel the need for better, I will get a Zeiss Victory SF.

Edmund

Last edited:
Dirty lenses are certainly a big issue, but I will say I've never seen a 'sparkle' in any of the binoculars I've used.

Justin

Dirty lenses are certainly a big issue, but I will say I've never seen a 'sparkle' in any of the binoculars I've used.

Justin

I tested an 8x32 HD+ when I got mine back, and the 8x32 had more snap, and some "sparkle" on the reflections of the sun on some balcony railings. I also compared with Zeiss Victory 8x42 today, and here we're talking a full class difference. Maybe UV HD really are now passé. If I ever see a7x42 HD+, I'll try it.

Edmund.

Last edited:

Justin

Me either.....

Eronald...Of course the UVHD isn't currently Leica's best binocular which the Zeiss SF and the Swarovski EL ARE their best binoculars. Might at least compare the UVHD+ and Noctivid to SF and EL for a more even comparison. FWIW.

Me either.....

Eronald...Of course the UVHD isn't currently Leica's best binocular which the Zeiss SF and the Swarovski EL ARE their best binoculars. Might at least compare the UVHD+ and Noctivid to SF and EL for a more even comparison. FWIW.

I took my HD again to the local Fnac shop, and another of my friends there said "très doux", very soft. I didn't ay anything to warn him, just said I was comparing his stuff and my stuff. My opinion is that my HD outresolve the shop's 8x42 Trinovid HD demo, and while the view is pleasant it has too little snap, contrast. I think Leica could just as well have swapped my sample against a better copy, but there's no point in getting upset. When you buy new old stock you take your luck.

Swaro are brilliant, but give me a headache, I think they don't match my IPD, by about 1mm. I tried two samples at different retailers. It's not their fault, it's mine, I know :)

There's no point in accepting second best. I really love the Zeiss which to my eyes seems even better than Swaro, so I see a Zeiss loom large and clear in my future. Getting to optimum in two jumps is actually a race well run in a search for equipment. Something to look forward to!

;)

Edmund

Last edited:
I have the UV HD models and they perform quite well, (8X42 and 12X50).

Andy W.

I am sure they do; the UV HD are still among the top (as long as many professional birders - people identifying and looking after species in their habitat for a living - run around with Trinovd BA‘s, the Ultravid seems far from passé to me).

Canip

[pic: main tool of birding guide, March 2019, @ jungle excursion in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountains, Colombia)

Attachments

• 400473F7-219C-4ADA-A124-FCACCB4B559E.jpg
    400473F7-219C-4ADA-A124-FCACCB4B559E.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 231
I am sure they do; the UV HD are still among the top (as long as many professional birders - people identifying and looking after species in their habitat for a living - run around with Trinovd BA‘s, the Ultravid seems far from passé to me).

Canip

Let's face it, much as we like to discuss the minutiae of binocular performance here, once you get beyond a certain quality level, the person looking through the binoculars has a far greater influence on what is actually seen (and recognised) through them.

Contact doublets, two bits of glass with the same curves but opposite, can either be left uncemented or cemented.
Zeiss found that with some of their lenses, if the doublets were pushed together, they wouldn't come apart.
The curves were so well made that they did not need cementing.
So they centred the lens elements well and just pushed them together and they stuck to each other.

I don't know how the transmission is affected by this arrangement or how accurate curves need to be to stick together, but glass can do this.
I suppose with extremes of heat or cold they might separate or maybe crack, but the lenses made like this worked well.
I think that these lenses were uncoated, but am not sure.
I don't know if coated elements would stick together if the curves were really accurate.

User experience: I am carrying around and using my "soft" 7x42 UV HD around town. Interestingly, my subjective opinion is they are somehow "dehazing", and getting decently clear. I still have a set of printed slanted edge testcharts with small lozenges set up at home from when I was writing MTF software for testing cameras, and I feel or see the view evolving. If you think I'm imagining things, I have no problem with that. For all I know, I may be slowly rubbing 6 years of display case deposit off the oculars - there have been similar reports on this forum of improvements through user cleaning although maybe for other vendors.

The resolution for ground-level urban view, traffic street signs and pedestrians at 500m or so is very very good. The moon is sharp, craters beautifully defined. However for viewing Paris rooftop edges, chimney materials etc in dull conditions, I still think they simply lack snap, this may be residual haze, a design issue related to the medium-range focus distance or to sky back-light or all of the above. For instance, I simply couldn't get a decent "visual lock" on the gold and on the bronze figures on top of the Paris Opera, be it from a nearby building window or from ground level, and it's not just about looking upwards. Without a marked feeling of texture, I can't sketch.

For carrying around while walking these Leica binoculars are a pleasure to use, immediate to look through in spite of my glasses and very useful, they allow me to visually orient to a middle distance 200-500m away which I wouldn't usually resolve. Tonight I could clearly view buildings on the hilly outskirts of Paris, while walking well inside the city. Also, I was able to spot Chinese restaurants a block away while going out with "her" tonight, even read that the cuisine was Vietnamese, and the urban use of binos ket the walking goal-oriented and the glasses got the seal of approval!

However, I still see a pair of something else, probably Zeiss SF in my future for viewing buildings and rooflines as this is the reason why I "need" binos, just as most members here "need" their alphas for birding :) My pair simply isn't getting that job done, I'm not seeing enough building texture in diffuse light.

I've tested the Zeiss SF 8x and 10x42 and they both give a delightfully detailed and easy view, they show detail and texture, with the 10x somewhat less bright and the 8x with a touch of disorientation on movement (rolling ball?. If I decide to keep rather than resell the Leica 7x I face the choice of the somewhat redundant 8x or a markedly less bright 10x; I think the field size of both is adequate, even compared with my 7x. The only thing I dislike about the Zeiss is the size (and the price). In comparison the Ultravids are wonderfully compact. I've ruled out Sv because of my exceptionally narrow IPD. In the end, I'd love to have had a really contrasty pair of 7x42 UV HD glasses as I really like the Ultravid feel and design, they were a good first try but I have no wish to fight it out with Leica.

Edmund

PS. My UV HD pair costs about 60% of the price of a Zeiss SF - this story confirms yet again that in optics you mostly get what you pay for.

Last edited:
It looks like my viewing quality issue was due to shop-window haze deposit on the ocular lenses.

After rereading and thinking over my own post, I concluded that it was possible that I wasn't a total idiot, and my cleaning of the oculars with Leica's microfibre cloth every day or so had actually improved my view. So I carefully cleaned the oculars with alcohol, with the intent to actually get the optic surface clean, rather than just removing a day's dust.

The oculars now have a shiny purple/brown tint; they now look like miniature camera lenses with an image projected and floating over them, where before they looked kind of dead, even when I had wiped the dust off. As I am new to binos, the change in appearance of the oculars is amazing.

The view improved *through* the binoculars markedly after one cleaning pass. I did another just to be sure.

I also cleaned the objective lenses, but I didn't really expect much difference, and couldn't really see any before/after change in the blue/green reflection of the lenses or in the view.

The binoculars now show a much more lively and direct image, at least when I point them at my indoor targets. I finally have the impression of holding a German-made instrument. I'll take them out tomorrow and see how they do in the real world.

I know that watching beginners on this forum struggle must be frustrating for the oldtimers; however I would like to thank @mpeace for his post where he also cleaned a newly acquired instrument.

Edmund

Last edited:
Looking forward to your findings when you get out and about. Hoping that this really has solved the issue for you!

Looking forward to your findings when you get out and about. Hoping that this really has solved the issue for you!

Mike F,

Yes, the issues were finally resolved by *my* cleaning of the oculars at 3am, on a hunch :)

I did a comparison in lowish daylight of my 7x42 with the superb Zeiss SF 8x42, and the Zeiss *probably* still wins, but in my perception the two instruments are *now* reasonably close.

I had an artist friend look at the ocular lenses and he agrees about the purple/brown coloration of the reflections. If it helps others in my position, purple/brown seems to be what the owner of an UV HD 7x42 should be seeing on the ocular side.

My friend looked through the glasses and almost fell off his chair at the quality of view.

If it helps, I would like to say to @Canip and @MandoBear that I *now* agree what I *now* have is a perfectly current binocular, with a very easy view, and as usable for my purposes as anything else I've looked through.

Concerning "what did you see through your binos today", I walked along the Seine where many bridges are now blocked and pointed the Ultravid at some pigeons at rest on a tree close to and below me, at a seagull or two floating over the Seine a bridge away, and at the rarely seen cranes and their humans surveying a nest of charred scaffolding over the intended roof of Notre Dame cathedral a couple of bridges out and a bit higher up, and all seemed to be coping reasonably well with the vagaries of their spring Paris day.

Edmund

Last edited:
Edmund, that’s great news! Glad that your Ultravids are now giving you the results that we would expect. It would be interesting for you to compare them sometime to the HD+ version (or even Noctivid 8x), if only as a matter of interest to see how you think they compare with yours, and to see if they might be your ‘ultimate’ bin (optically) rather than the Zeiss. But for now enjoy wandering around Paris with your UV 7’s. I’m envious!

Last edited:
Edmund, that’s great news! Glad that your Ultravids are now giving you the results that we would expect. It would be interesting for you to compare them sometime to the HD+ version (or even Noctivid 8x), if only as a matter of interest to see how you think they compare with yours, and to see if they might be your ‘ultimate’ bin (optically) rather than the Zeiss. But for now enjoy wandering around Paris with your UV 7’s. I’m envious!

Mike,

I've been using the UVs outdoors in the french countryside - saw a bird that I would call a black-collared dove, soft white, shape a bit like a pigeon, with a black stripe at the back of the neck. I guess once you come to this forum you get the bird bug :) I guess I will see a lot more birds as my son dumped out two bags of birdseeds on our garden bench.

The glasses are nice in good light, sharp, easy to use. Magnification isn't huge but that means that looking without and with the glass is seamless. There really is a sparkle where the spring sun hits the needles of our cedar trees.

As far as 7x or 8x42 is concerned, these are my binoculars - I have looked at everything out there and nothing I've seen up to now justifies spending another $2K, compared with the nice view I have with my cleaned bino. If I were moving up to 10x I would probably go for the Zeiss.

There are a lot of used and demo samples of the UV HD Plus and UV HD out there, but I don't know what sample variation is like. There's also a steady trickle of used grey and black Victory SF models on the french equivalent of Craigslist, at fairly affordable prices; I'd have bought one but the seller was too far away.

Edmund

Hi Edmund,

Great to hear that you're enjoying the UV 7's so much now. Interesting that you would also now use the word 'sparkle' to describe something in the view. I totally agree that 'upgrading' by buying a new UD+ would be pointless, I just thought that now yours are performing as they should that it might be interesting to see what the difference actually is. I'm sure it would just confirm that what you have is only a hair away from the very best.

Michael.

Hi Edmund,

I have been following your thread. Glad you figured it out to clean, seriously, your binocular lenses!
I remember when I bought, slightly used, my Zeiss HT 10x42, appeared to have so much "soft" view than my former FL...until I see, and throughly clean, some very thin but grease coating over the oculars and objective lenses. Wow!!!! What a diference!!!
Enjoy your superb Leica UV HD!!

Happy Easter!!

PHA

Hi Edmund,

Great to hear that you're enjoying the UV 7's so much now. Interesting that you would also now use the word 'sparkle' to describe something in the view. I totally agree that 'upgrading' by buying a new UD+ would be pointless, I just thought that now yours are performing as they should that it might be interesting to see what the difference actually is. I'm sure it would just confirm that what you have is only a hair away from the very best.

Michael.

Michael,

In order to restrain myself from becoming unhappy, I shall from now on only try binos which I could realistically see myself buying immediately after the test :)

In that spirit I did compare mine with the Victory 8x25. The 8x25 won on sharpness but not on ease of view -at the end of the test I was crying.

It almost looks like I'll manage to put off the acquisition of another glass until next year :)

BTW, I took my glass for a view while drawing next to a river, and the change of perspective is like having a superpower. I had some pocket Leica and Svaros when younger but never saw this effect. Also yesterday I indentified Streptopelia Decaocto (collared dove) sitting on a cedar tree, by view of the black collar and then by song lookup on the net. I didn't know that checking out real birds was such fun - my first bird! :)

Edmund

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back