• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Himalayan Balsam vs. Reeds (1 Viewer)

Carless

Hi all.

Near me there is a stand of reeds, which is being colonised by Himalayan Balsam. Currently the balsam is starting to grow. Last year's dead reeds are still standing but I can see no sign of the reeds sprouting.

What is the best method of removing the balsam so that the reeds will grow and the stand of reeds will be saved. When I've seen reeds with that much balsam growing up in them before, the reed stand has not survived even if the balsam is removed.

Is there any particular method, timing, or other strategy that will maximise the probability that the reeds will be preserved? My current plan is to remove the balsam ASAP by careful weeding, chopping them off at the base of the stem to not disturb the soil, in the hope that the reeds will then grow undisturbed, but given that I've seen reed stands not recover before, wish to see if there's anything better that I can do.

EDIT: There is one reed bed/stand that appears to have been saved by balsam removal, but in this case the balsam had only spread into part of the reeds. Even now years later the reeds haven't recolonised the area where the balsam grew; it's only the completely unaffected regions that have survived. In the reed bed/stand I'm looking at now, balsam is growing up through the entire thing.

Last edited:
Make sure it is flooded, at least in winter and spring - Reeds can grow in water up to half a metre deep or so, Himalayan Balsam needs exposed soil.

Thanks. I've done a lot of balsam removal in the past (and present). This issue here is one particular stand/bed of rushes.

it's in an area which does flood, but is dry now. I have no control over how much water floods the are and when.

I can't use herbicides as it's on public land, not my private property. So, it will be hard work, but how and when?

Any time between now and when the first seed pods start popping. My worry would be that the amount of trampling to get to all of the Balsam plants might cause more damage than the plants would do if left.

Any time between now and when the first seed pods start popping. My worry would be that the amount of trampling to get to all of the Balsam plants might cause more damage than the plants would do if left.

Trampling can cause damage. But, it is also my experience that the balsam, if left, will push the reed/rushes out anyhow. I've made that mistake before of leaving balsam in a reed/rush bed and next year there's just balsam and nothing else. So, I'm not convinced that just leaving the balsam is the best option.

That's why I was wondering if clearing early before the reeds/rushes (I think they are bullrushes) start sprouting might be best.

One of the problems with Himalayan Balsam in my experience is germination of dormant seeds after a pulling session. You may need to go back repeatedly, fortnightly with heavy infestations and do more pulling until no recurrence. Don't despair if some more comes up the following year, but you have to remove every plant. It can be done

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back