• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL series paint durability (1 Viewer)

Lt 26

I am considering the purchase of an EL 8.5x42. But I have a question about the quality of the paint they use on the hinges. Most of the pictures of used ones show paint missing in this area.

I know it has nothing to do with the view but it would affect resale value. So have these binoculars been abused or is that normal wear for the EL. If they go in for servicing do they address this.

Believe me I am not trying to knock this great binocular but I also have to make peace with my OCD.

Dereck

That is normal wear for the EL, it is of no concern, just cosmetic, Swarovski service does not repaint
those areas.
This is a common practice among all makes, AFAIK.

Jerry

The high points and edges of the upper hinge are particularly subject to wear caused by movement of the fingers when focusing. Not a big deal but I agree, not 'attractive', especially to prospective buyers.

RB

The high points and edges of the upper hinge are particularly subject to wear caused by movement of the fingers when focusing.

RB

I am not sure about that, I have three Swaros and none has this issue; moreover it cannot explain the wear of the corners of the lower hinge. I have recently discussed this aspect with a friend and he offered another explanation for this "Swaro signature": it's caused by rubbing against a jacket/coat, especially one with a zipper, when the binos are kept "closer to your heart" (like during a rain shower). That sounds more plausible to me. Anyway, this minor issue is easily rectified with a bit of paint, and it's beyond me why some sellers of used Swaros don't repaint the corners to make them look better.

I am not sure about that, I have three Swaros and none has this issue; moreover it cannot explain the wear of the corners of the lower hinge. I have recently discussed this aspect with a friend and he offered another explanation for this "Swaro signature": it's caused by rubbing against a jacket/coat, especially one with a zipper, when the binos are kept "closer to your heart" (like during a rain shower). That sounds more plausible to me. Anyway, this minor issue is easily rectified with a bit of paint, and it's beyond me why some sellers of used Swaros don't repaint the corners to make them look better.

I bought a used pair of EL 10x42s and that part is missing some paint. What’s your suggestions on how to touch up with some paint on it. Any kind of specialtypaint I would need to make it look right again ? Thanks for any help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back