• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

soaresi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

The key as per today:

Dr Júlio Soares (fl. 1960) Brazilian zoologist (subsp. Augastes scutatus).

OD we can find here. I am pretty sure it is him here

Julio Soares
Geburtsdatum: April 14, 1898
Geburtsort: Teófilo Otoni, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Death: March 15, 1975 (76)

How did I come to this conclusion? Maria da Conceição Kubitschek de Oliveira was the sister of Juscelino Kubitschek. Ruschi dedicated him Amazilia versicolor kubtchecki.

In here we can find:

Foi na casa de Júlio Soares, grande médico de Belo Horizonte, que por amar esses pequenos pássaros tornou-se mais tarde grande amigo de Augusto Ruschi.

I would say he was rather pysician than zoologist. Take it for what it is worth Julio Soares (1898-1975) over and out.

P.S. Not to be confused with Abilio Monteiro Soares (1914-1985) here or the herpetologist Marcelo de Araújo Soares.

Last edited:
Dr Soares's Visorbearer

Here's a quick look at this topic ...

• the debated* Hyacinth Visorbearer ssp. Augastes scutatus soaresi RUSCHI 1963 (OD in post #1), a k a Southern Hyacinth Visorbearer

... with some texts, clearly verifying the link/s, connections between "Augusto Ruschi" and/or "Dr. Juscelino Kubitschek" with "Dr. Júlio Soares" (also with Hummingbirds), possibly adding some details on Dr Soares himself, see; here, here (p.2), here, here or here (all in Portuguese) ... and elsewhere.
Ruschi correspondeu-se assiduamente, durante muitas décadas, com o Dr. Júlio Soares – médico mineiro, cunhado e grande amigo de Juscelino Kubitschek –, cuja amizade lhe conferiu acesso a importantes personalidades do mundo político e empresarial brasileiro. Ao felicitar Soares pela posse na Companhia Energética de Minas Gerais (Cemig), Ruschi comentou ...
(Google translate:) Ruschi corresponded assiduously for many decades with Dr. Júlio Soares - a doctor from Minas Gerais, brother-in-law and a close friend of Juscelino Kubitschek - whose friendship gave him access to important personalities from the Brazilian political and business world. Congratulating Soares on taking ownership of the Minas Gerais Energy Company (Cemig), Ruschi commented ...
[from the first link above, p.151]
Also see the following part:
Juscelino Kubitschek, médico urologista, formado em 1927, na Escola de Medicina de Belo Horizonte, que passou no mesmo ano a ser da Faculdade de Medicina da UFMG, com especialização na França, não pensava em fazer política no início de sua curta vida profissional como médico, orientado pelo cunhado Júlio Soares, cirurgião de renome em Belo Horizonte, capitão e médico da Polícia Militar de Minas Gerais, fez parte da tropa mineira durante a revolução de 1932.
(Google translate:) Juscelino Kubitschek, a urologist, graduated in 1927 at the School of Medicine of Belo Horizonte, which became the UFMG School of Medicine in the same year, with a specialization in France, did not think of doing politics at the beginning of his short professional life as a doctor, guided by his brother-in-law Julio Soares, a renowned surgeon in Belo Horizonte, captain and doctor of the Minas Gerais Military Police, he was part of the Minas Gerais troops during the 1932 revolution.
[from here, p.374]

Take it all for what it's worth. If anything? (I don't understand Portuguese at all)

Björn

PS. A Photo of the Holotype (here, p.57) alt. here (p.58)

PPS. This said without any other knowledge what-so-ever of Dr. Soares (he not one of "mine", and I´d never heard of him before this thread), neither do I know if he (also) was a zoologist, or not, nor if the guy with the same name, introduced in #1 (i.e. with the Life span; "1898-1975") was/is equal "our guy" ... but it sure looks like it! ;)

Last edited:
James has already (even before, or meanwhile, my lengthy, babbling post #2) updated the HBW Alive Key, into:
soaresi
Dr Júlio Soares (1898-1975) Brazilian physician, naturalist (subsp. Augastes scutatus).
:t:

/B

--

Last edited:
Faster than the speeding bullet, that's me! When at home I tend to check BirdForum two or three times a day, so remember always to check the current entry before quoting from the Key (see the final paragraph of Guide to Key Entries). Carry on the good work.

Just what the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims with no additional information:

Hyacinth Visorbearer ssp. Augastes scutatus soaresi Ruschi, 1963
Dr Júlio Soares (DNF) was a Brazilian zoologist.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back