• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ben Nevis birds? (1 Viewer)

htcdude

Hi guys,

I'm planning on doing the 3 peaks challenge in June and first stop is Ben Nevis.

Was just wondering they get many birds on the mountain? Thinking particularly of Eagles & Grouse?

Thanks,

Nige

I did the three peaks challenge a few years ago. I doubt you'll see Eagles or Grouse but there were loads of Snow Bunting near the summit.

Assuming that you are walking up the tourist path you probably won't see much in the way of birds at all. As simmojunior says, maybe Snow Bunting on top, probably Raven too, and Meadow Pipit on grassy areas. Eagles and grouse are very unlikely though not impossible. Glen Nevis and the River Nevis are likely to be far more interesting for birds. Unfortunately, the tourist path is your only real option if your sole interest is getting to the top to say you've been there but it is a long dull slog.

Last edited:
Many thanks both. I've no idea what route we'll be taking yet, I'm just doing what I'm told :D

Snow Bunting would actually be a lifer for me so that could be kool!

I'll just have to make another trip to Scotland another time for the others :)

Thanks,

Nige

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back