• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Minnippi Park

30 September 2019

Minnippi Park was on the menu. A rather nice and interesting park with lots of species including some new ones for me. I didn't realise I'd caught Ken in my overall picture of the lake area of the park LOL... seems he's wondering where I got to LOL.

We first walked down to the lake, passing a pair of cavorting Swamphens. On the water's edge were very attractive Chestnut Teal and Hardhead.With a Little Black Cormorant supervising the activities from the trees.

Attachments

• BF Minnippi Park thread.jpg
    BF Minnippi Park thread.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 47
  • BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    BF Australian Swamphen thread.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Chestnut Teal thread.jpg
    BF Chestnut Teal thread.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Little Black Cormorant.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 40
Plenty of birds on, and beside, the water here, including Eurasian Coot, Pied Stilt, Intermediate Egret, Torresian Crow (can't they manage to look evil LOL), Wandering Whistling Ducks and Australian Ibis.

Attachments

• BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Intermediate Egret thread.jpg
    BF Intermediate Egret thread.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Whistling Duck thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Duck thread.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 26
I also got a much closer view of a Comb-crested Jacana.

We then started to wander around the park (there's a jogging track winds its way around) - can't remember how long it was now though.

A quick look at a creek that runs into the lake didn't produce anything, so we continued on. I was amused to see an Australian Brushturkey walking through the branches of a tree.

I got a picture of a female Magpie-Lark (white face) before a girl came jogging through with an out of control dog, who proceeded to chase all the ground birds in sight. Ken called to her about putting him on a lead. Initially she ignored him, but after him repeating himself, she did so (bet she let him off again when she was out of sight!!! grrr). There is an 'off-lead' section of the park, but this wasn't it!

However, a male Magpie-Lark soon came to the ground near us, so it makes for good comparison images as he has a black face.

Attachments

• BF Comb-crested Jacana thread.jpg
    BF Comb-crested Jacana thread.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Creek at Minnippi Park thread.jpg
    BF Creek at Minnippi Park thread.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Australasian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 28
  • BF Magpie-Lark female thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark female thread.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Magpie-Lark male thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark male thread.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 33
Sorry guys, the kingfisher has been re-identified as Torresian. Incidentally, that one isn't named in the book I have, but appears to be part of the Collared Kingfisher group.

Sorry guys, the kingfisher has been re-identified as Torresian. Incidentally, that one isn't named in the book I have, but appears to be part of the Collared Kingfisher group.

No worries Delia, Torresian sounds far more exotic than Forest anyway! 3:)

Chris

Then Ken shot across the grass towards the trees and bushes, calling me over. There at the edge was a Red-bellied Black Snake (yes Chris... it's very poisonous).

It stayed just long enough for me to take a couple of pictures before moving off into the bush.

I managed a picture of a female Superb Farywren, but a neighbouring Lewin's Honeyeater I couldn't get focused on... just got the yellow wing bar showing between the twigs!

Deep in a bush we heard one of the most frustrating of species... an Eastern Whipbird, an extraordinary call (I later managed a short recording on my phone, but don't know what to do with it LOL). I was to hear this call all over the place, saw some twigs moving in the undergrowth a couple of times. I did managed a picture of a juvenile a few weeks later.

Continuing our walk, we saw Laughing Kookaburra on the ground, but people passing made him move up into a tree. In there were Noisy Miners too. Ken saw a fly-over Straw-necked Ibis, but it disappeared behind a tree before I could see it (this story was to repeat itself for several weeks!).

A couple of introduced Indian Myna (Mynah) flew into yet another tree. I really didn't see that many introduced species on my travels.

Pied Butcherbird, Rainbow Lorikeet and Pied Currawong complete that section of the walk.

Returning to the lake, Welcome Swallows were out in force. Also arrived were Pacific Black Duck.

On the way home Ken noticed some work had been going on at a small reserve called Mookin-bah Reserve, so decided to investigate.

We went for a short walk, but it was now rather late morning with the sun high and hot; the only birds we came across were a pair of Laughing Kookaburras.

Attachments

• BF Red-bellied Black Snake thread.jpg
    BF Red-bellied Black Snake thread.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Common Myna thread.jpg
    BF Common Myna thread.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 30
  • BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Ken's Garden

1 October 2019

I was left in charge of the house while a family emergency was dealt with. So took the opportunity to catch up with sorting my pictures and took a few in the garden too.

There were some young Noisy Miners, Rainbow Lorikeet and Green Figbird around.

The last picture was a young miner who was just lying along the branch and seemed to be asleep. Obviously a very tiring job having a bath LOL

Attachments

• BF Noisy Miner fledgling thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Miner fledgling thread.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Rainbow Lorikeet thread.jpg
    BF Rainbow Lorikeet thread.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Australasian Figbird thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Figbird thread.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Noisy Miner sleepy juvenile.jpg
    BF Noisy Miner sleepy juvenile.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 30
North Stradbroke Island

2 October 2019

Another wonderful treat Ken had in store for me today. I do love islands.

The tide seemed rather low at Toondah Harbour, as we waited for the ferry, but I managed to spot a White-faced Heron on a distant mud bank.

The bus was waiting to take us to Look Out Point at the top end of the island. Ken spotted a Koala at the top of a tree. I took a record shot of it through the bus window in case it wasn't there when we returned (it was).

Sadly there were signs that there had been a bush fire at some point as we travelled the road.

We soon saw some birds when we arrived, both male and female Green Figbirds and a Masked Lapwing.

Then my first Eastern Grey Kangaroo (I think - I struggled to identify Kangaroos and Wallabies throughout my stay).

All this and we'd only been walking about 10 minutes!

Attachments

• BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Australasian Figbird male thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Figbird male thread.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Australasian Figbird female thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Figbird female thread.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Eastern Grey Kangaroo.jpg
    BF Eastern Grey Kangaroo.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 33
Starting with a picture of one of many of the views that stopped us in our tracks as we walked round the point..... that is when we weren't stopping to look at birds and things, like this Noisy Friarbird. (Made for slow progress LOL)

We got to the main watchpoint and suddenly the call went up for Dolphins and a pod of Bottlenose was passing underneath us. They didn't seem sure which way they wanted to go, as they kept turning and coming back again.

Humpbacks were seen further out, but I was too slow to get a picture of them.

A Wallaby came down onto the path and distracted everyone away from the sea view! There's two species on the island, Agile and Swamp, don't know what I have here.

Attachments

• BF Beach View thread.jpg
    BF Beach View thread.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Bottle-nose  Dolphin pod01 thread.jpg
    BF Bottle-nose Dolphin pod01 thread.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Bottle-nose Dolphins thread.jpg
    BF Bottle-nose Dolphins thread.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Wallaby thread.jpg
    BF Wallaby thread.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 27
Delia, you have done wonders with all of your photos, love the narration and looking forward to the next chapter :)
Love the avatar btw! ....thanks for sharing your trip down-under, makes me want to travel a bit more to see some of the birds that you have seen, thanks again.
Nora

Thanks Nora, kind of you lass.

Just about to start organising the next bit, as I've far from finished with Straddie (even caught the lingo, didn't I LOL)

The Dolphins moved on and so did we. Sorry for this section, I couldn't stop taking pictures of the views!

The second one was looking down into Turtle Cove (I think), at least Ken said it was usually a good spot to see them, but the tide wasn't right that day and it was rather rough down there.

We walked round it and up the other side when we heard a call for Whale. This was at another viewpoint. And sure enough a Humpback Whale came into view within range of my camera. Big, isn't he.

The last view is I believe Frenchman's Beach, one of the many surfing beaches on the island.

Think we only saw one bird on this leg, another Noisy Friarbird, but I did get a good close-up of him.

We then got the bus back to the harbour, but the journey wasn't finished!

Attachments

• BF Sea View thread.jpg
    BF Sea View thread.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Turtle inlet thread.jpg
    BF Turtle inlet thread.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Humpback Whale thread.jpg
    BF Humpback Whale thread.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 41
  • BF Frenchman's Beach thread.jpg
    BF Frenchman's Beach thread.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 30
  • BF Noisy Friarbird1 thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Friarbird1 thread.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 34
That Humpback is impressive to say the least! Beautiful scenery too, no need to apologise for mixing it up Lass, we want it all!

Chris

Back at the town of Dunwich, there was the gorgeous Koala, still up in the same tree, so I managed to get a picture of him, high though he was.

Now all the best birds seem to be found in cemetaries, and this is where we went next. Not only did we start with Pied Butcherbird, there was both an adult and a juvenile for me.

On we went (Ken had a plan I think)... and there right in front of us possibly the stars of the day Bush Stone Curlew and not just one, but the pair with a chick. Isn't that wee one gorgeous!

Maned Duck was the last one we saw there.

Attachments

• BF Koala thread.jpg
    BF Koala thread.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 87
  • BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Pied Butcherbird juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird juvenile thread.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Bush Stone Curlew thread.jpg
    BF Bush Stone Curlew thread.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 98
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 31
You lucky lady - Humpback whale are my third most wanted wildlife sighting. Blue whale and whale shark just pip it to the post. Getting a picture of the whale is just great. Well done you!

Back at the town of Dunwich ...

On we went (Ken had a plan I think)... and there right in front of us possibly the stars of the day Bush Stone Curlew and not just one, but the pair with a chick. Isn't that wee one gorgeous!

Excellent! (and a lot more obliging than the ‘Burhinus’ on Dunwich Heath ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back