• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera recommendation for Leica Televid 82 (1 Viewer)

ajp310

Hi,

Would love your opinions here as to what non-Leica camera will pair nicely with my Leica spotting scope. Thank you.

I don't think that having a Leica scope and looking for a camera will differ from any other scope brand. The scope is not the issue but rather the adapter you find to match your scope. Leica might already have one. If not, check out www.digiscopeadapter.com. Many times you don't need an adapter so keep that in mind. It just depends on what you want from your images. Usually dig-scoping images will not match up to a DSLR + 600 lens etc, so also keep that in mind. To me, digi-scoping is more of a 'sport' than photography with a huge lens. Given the equipment and the dollars to purchase a camera plus lens, anyone can take excellent shots now-a-days but digital-scoping still takes skill and involves a learning curve.

For cameras, personally I prefer 'point and shoots' with a small optical zoom so it takes away vignetting. Frankly there is no need to over-complicate an already difficult task. A point and shoot works wonders. I have been digi-scoping (since the mid 90's) prior to when the term 'digi-scoping' was coined so have been thru many cameras....point and shoot, up to DSLR's. I have mainly played with Swarovski scopes but started off with a cheap Bushnell.

At the moment I am digiscoping with a Nikon Cool Pix P310. Other options if you want to be 'latest and greatest' might be small Sony RX100 series or Canon G series etc. A nice mid-level might be a Panasonic Lumix ZS50 series. But I prefer that 5 year old Nikon. Again, more importantly to you should be the adapter you have for your scope. You can get 'ok' images without an adapter but in order to get good images, you need one. jim

see following blogs if interested....http://www.atlanticaudubonsociety.com/digiscoping.html

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back