• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles in northern Japan (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I went to the Yurrapu valley near Yakumo this afternoon to watch the 2 species of Eagles there. There were about 30 or 40 individuals present, a mix of White Tailed and Stellers Sea Eagles. Most of them were adults. Usually they perch in photogenic poses on bare trees near the road but not today. I couldn't get a decent shot of a Stellers unfortunately. The Eagles winter here every year and feed on the Salmon in the river (the river was full of both dead and live Salmon).

Not much else about. A few common winter birds included Brown Dipper, Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker, Marsh Tit, Long Tailed Tit (the cute white-headed race), Glaucous and Glaucous Winged Gulls and various common Ducks.

I've attached a couple of pics of the White-Tailed Eagles. I remember seeing my first one as a 16 year old sitting atop a cliff on Rhun in Scotland. I see lots here in the winter (one even flew over my appartment last week). My first Stellers was seen on New Years Eve 1999 whilst I was sitting on the bus heading north for a huge drinking session in Sapporo. Happy memories!

Attachments

• bfwte1.jpg
    bfwte1.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 126
  • bfwte2.jpg
    bfwte2.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 119
A winter trip to Hokkaido is the stuff that dreams are made of Stu. One day, one day. Nice shots of WTE. You NEVER see them in trees in Iceland, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a WTE within a mile of a tree here!
I'm expecting you to post frame-filling shots of the Steller's tomorrow.

E

Edward said:
You NEVER see them in trees in Iceland, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a WTE within a mile of a tree here!

E

Are there any trees in Iceland? I know that sounds like a dumb question but the nearest place to Iceland I've visited (both geographically and er spiritually) was the Orkneys and I don't recall seeing a single tree there (maybe one or two in town).

I won't be going up to this river for a while so the perfect Stellers pic will have to wait. The White Tailed pic above was a rushed job at the side of a narrow road with trucks belting past.

Happy with the draw against Chelsea?

Edward said:
A winter trip to Hokkaido is the stuff that dreams are made of Stu. One day, one day. Nice shots of WTE. You NEVER see them in trees in Iceland, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a WTE within a mile of a tree here!
I'm expecting you to post frame-filling shots of the Steller's tomorrow.

E

Edward has already said exactly what I was going to say, apart from the bit about White-tailed Eagles in trees (often seen them in trees in Sweden, a country with more than its fair share of woodland). However, as and when I get to Hokkaido (one day, one day) I want my first Steller's Sea Eagle t be perched on an ice floe, not a tree.

Cheers,

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back