• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Horseshoes in Kent (1 Viewer)

Morning.

Look on the BCT website in the news section. Two separate recordings have been checked and confirmed. As it’s my area, I will be interested to see what develops.

Regards

Wonder if they are scattered across the South/South East. I do the odd evening with the bat detector, but I've never bumped into another Bat watcher! and my coverage is extremely scant.
Plus Horseshoe bats can be pretty hit and miss even you know they are in the area. Exciting

Wonder if they are scattered across the South/South East. I do the odd evening with the bat detector, but I've never bumped into another Bat watcher! and my coverage is extremely scant.
Plus Horseshoe bats can be pretty hit and miss even you know they are in the area. Exciting

There are a few known regular winterers in various holes in the ground, but I don't know of regular summer sightings at any sites. Perhaps these records are of bats moving from summer towards their wintering sites or vice versa?

John

I think the nearest to me is somewhere around the Blashford lakes/ Ringwood area.

I've always vowed to try and survey suitable areas in the Wallops / Stockbridge area for Horseshoe's and Leislers bats, but never get round to it!

There used to be a Greater Horseshoe that spent the winter in Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight and at the same time there used to be one seen intermittently on the private estate between Lepe and Calshot (Hants) during the summer. It was often assumed this was the same animal.

I think the nearest to me is somewhere around the Blashford lakes/ Ringwood area.

I've always vowed to try and survey suitable areas in the Wallops / Stockbridge area for Horseshoe's and Leislers bats, but never get round to it!

First GHB I ever saw was at the beech hanger roundabout just West of Stonehenge, many years ago. Last one was during a hibernation survey in Sussex and was alleged to be a returner.

I'd be interested in good places for Leisler's - that's a tough year tick for me.

John

There used to be a Greater Horseshoe that spent the winter in Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight and at the same time there used to be one seen intermittently on the private estate between Lepe and Calshot (Hants) during the summer. It was often assumed this was the same animal.

Calshot is one of my (fairly) local areas and I have ran a bat detector overnight there. I did have a Nathusius, Pip, and something that seemed to be running a high frequency for Noctule, especially as the entire area was open, but that one didn't get resolved. If you factor in the Horsehoe from previous years, and the possibility of Grey Long-Eared, and Bechstein's the Solent area has a lot going for it.

I know rumours of Leisler's at Pig Bush in the New Forest, but have never seen one there.. only Barbastelle and a Whiskered/Brandts on my visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back